Author Topic: The Union Agenda  (Read 6214 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Union Agenda
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 11:20:30 PM »
You support the Bush administration? News to me...

I pay taxes to support the entire government. I am not obliged to love Juniorbush or to say nice things about him.

Just as if I did not believe in unions, I should pay dues to support the union, if it was elected to represent me by a majority of my colleagues.

Unlike a national government,a union member has a better chance of participating in the union organization to make it better.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 12:14:20 AM »

Are there problems with unions, is there corruption?  Yes to both, but there are problems and corruption with businesses too, and I don't see anyone saying or implicating that business is bad.

Then you're not paying attention to Xavier.

I have nothing against unions as such (though I have some problems with things some unions have done, and I think they should absolutely not endorse candidates for public office). And I would never seek to stop people from joining one. I do, however, have a problem with essentially forcing people to join one. However great a union might be for members, I do not believe people should have to join a union to work in their chosen field. It smacks of coercion and of treating people as merely members of a group, rather than as individuals. I'm not saying unions are necessarily bad or should not exist. I'm just saying people should be allowed to choose. If, say, a business had a monopoly and the law did not allow any competing business to operate, I think most people would consider that unfair and unjust, to say the least. Seems to me the same notion applies to unions.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

fatman

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 01:25:03 AM »
Then you're not paying attention to Xavier.

I like XO, I really do.  He's witty and can cut to the quick of an issue.  That said, although I agree with him on some things, I also disagree with others.  In the line that you quoted, I misspoke and I apologize.  Business is an obviously necessary component of capitalism.  I certainly don't implicate that business in general is bad, though I dislike some business situations, especially where business is tied closely with government, as in the Defense industry and some private contractors outside of defense.  A better way to phrase my position would be to say that the people who think that unions are bad because of corruption etc., are often the same people who are willing to overlook corruption in business as a necessary evil.

I have nothing against unions as such (though I have some problems with things some unions have done, and I think they should absolutely not endorse candidates for public office).

I'm not wild about unions endorsing candidates, though I don't think that I'd have as much problem with them endorsing policy proposals.  There have been past links with union corruption and elected officials and candidates, and I think that would be a good way to avoid that situation.

And I would never seek to stop people from joining one. I do, however, have a problem with essentially forcing people to join one.

How is someone essentially forced to join a union?  I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I don't see it in my line of work or in the private sector in general.  Most trades have plenty of non-union shops.  For someone to want to work for a company that is union, and then demand not to be a member of that union, is in many ways similar to someone wanting to work at a shop and not wanting to take a drug test.  If you want hired at a union shop, join the union.  If you want to work at a shop and smoke pot, then you'd better find one that doesn't have DISA or random drug tests.

If you're talking about government/public sector unions, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about that situation.  I think that the unions in each are fairly different, for example, in another thread sirs mentioned that the NEA union would try to keep even incompetent teachers or criminal teaches from being fired (sorry if I'm misquoting or misunderstanding here, this is just how I remember the thread, which is now 29 pages long and you'll forgive me for not wanting to wade back through it).  Anyhow, in my union, if the employer can show just cause for firing such as a failed drug test, a situation that puts other employees at risk such as unsafe work habits, or basic incompetence, that person can be let go without a challenge from the union.  I know, I've seen it in action.  That's one way in which I would believe that public vs. private sector unions are somewhat different, but again, I won't pretend to know for certain.

However great a union might be for members, I do not believe people should have to join a union to work in their chosen field.

I'm not certain what you're getting at here.  Are you talking about someone wanting to join a union shop and not wanting to join the union?  If that's the case, it seems in bad taste for someone wanting to come in and usurp the work that other people have put in before them, in the form of labor negotiations, and then not want to pay the piper.  Besides that, as I mentioned before for most trades, there are usually non-union shops, the only ones that I can think of off of the top of my head that are generally closed are the railroads and the auto makers.  Perhaps I'm missing something?

It smacks of coercion and of treating people as merely members of a group, rather than as individuals.
In a way I'm sort of yes and no on this.  The people as a group are what the union uses as leverage for better wages and compensation, in the form of witholding the labor of this group.  If everyone individualizes, then the main source of power of the union is lost.  Only by staying as a group can they hope to accomplish what they wish in negotiation.  On the other hand though, I would agree with you that yes, this method does tend to treat members as a group rather than individuals.  The only argument that I can think of to counter that point is a rather weak one, in that if you don't like it, then find a non union shop.

I'm not saying unions are necessarily bad or should not exist.

You're not, but I'm relatively certain that was the main point of the article.  I may well be wrong, but it's a fact that some large companies spend a lot of money to keep from being unionized, in order to minimize payroll and benefits and increase profit.  That's capitalism, and I accept that.  I also accept that workers should have the right to band together and demand better treatment as a counter to the employer, and if that fails, to withhold their labor (often skilled) from that employer.  I would think that a traditional Libertarian standpoint on unions would be anti-union, but I'm guessing because I'm not a dyed in the wool Libertarian and really don't know a lot about their philosophy outside of their main tenets.

I'm just saying people should be allowed to choose.

I agree with you.  I don't think that non-union shops hurt union shops, especially if their pay scale and benefits are inferior.  And I wouldn't want to deprive another person, whether they had a criminal background or smoked pot, a job.  As it is now, only 7.4% of the private sector is unionized.  That's 92.6% that aren't union.  I think that people have a choice.

If, say, a business had a monopoly and the law did not allow any competing business to operate, I think most people would consider that unfair and unjust, to say the least. Seems to me the same notion applies to unions.

Again, I'm in agreement, unions shouldn't have a lock on labor, but neither should non-unions.  I've never bought into the bit about a non-union shop hurting a union shop by sucking up workers, if the union is superior in working conditions and compensation, they should be expected to come out on top.  If they're not, then the union member should demand a change in leadership or policy until they are.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 09:22:30 AM »
If, say, a business had a monopoly and the law did not allow any competing business to operate, I think most people would consider that unfair and unjust, to say the least. Seems to me the same notion applies to unions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dare you to name one industry where the unions have a monopoly on jobs and any significant number of involuntary members. If there are no union shops, then there will be fewer unions and the entire job market will suffer.

Observe how not one single Wal*Mart has any sort of union in any state. If Americans has a real right to organize, there would be at least ONE, wouldn't there? I admit that K-Mart and a lot of other stores suck even more than Wal*Mart as a place to work, but Wal*Mart is NOT the best place to work anywhere in terms of wages and benefits.

NEVER since the 1930's has it been harder to start a union. There are vast legions of union-busting lawyers who will advise management on exactly how to bust a union effectively without breaking the law, using all manner of silly 'precedents' that have arisen in ratwing courts over the years.

Every years the middle class shrinks and the armies of the temps and semi-skilled part-timers grow. Every year the number of people who will never get more than 14 days vacation (if that) grows.

Whenever you hear about how some company or industry has 'boosted productivity', that is their way of saying that the workerts have been screwed again. Less money for the same work, More work for the same money, or ideally more work AND less money.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 12:07:20 PM »
I dare you to name one industry where the unions have a monopoly on jobs and any significant number of involuntary members. If there are no union shops, then there will be fewer unions and the entire job market will suffer.

Are there any UPS facilities that are not Teamster shops?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 12:55:13 PM »

A better way to phrase my position would be to say that the people who think that unions are bad because of corruption etc., are often the same people who are willing to overlook corruption in business as a necessary evil.

Probably so. I hope I don't do that. I think I would not do so consciously.

I'm not wild about unions endorsing candidates, though I don't think that I'd have as much problem with them endorsing policy proposals.

Yeah, I could go along with that.

Are you talking about someone wanting to join a union shop and not wanting to join the union?  If that's the case, it seems in bad taste for someone wanting to come in and usurp the work that other people have put in before them, in the form of labor negotiations, and then not want to pay the piper.  Besides that, as I mentioned before for most trades, there are usually non-union shops, the only ones that I can think of off of the top of my head that are generally closed are the railroads and the auto makers.  Perhaps I'm missing something?

Well let's say that all the shops in an area are union shops. Or maybe most, and the one or two that are not suck. So if you want to work in the area, you're essentially forced to join the unions whether you want to or not. I'm not saying non-union workers should get all benefits that union workers do, but frankly, I do believe saying "if you want to work here you have to pay union dues" is next door (not the same) to extortion. I just don't like the idea.

The people as a group are what the union uses as leverage for better wages and compensation, in the form of witholding the labor of this group.  If everyone individualizes, then the main source of power of the union is lost.  Only by staying as a group can they hope to accomplish what they wish in negotiation.  On the other hand though, I would agree with you that yes, this method does tend to treat members as a group rather than individuals.  The only argument that I can think of to counter that point is a rather weak one, in that if you don't like it, then find a non union shop.

Again, I'm not against unions as such. I have nothing against collective bargaining. It is certainly one way to keep business owners from taking unfair advantage of the workers without relying on government to do it all. On the other hand (and this is why I oppose unions endorsing candidates and giving union dues to political campaigns) the union members are all individuals and should be treated as such.

I'm not saying unions are necessarily bad or should not exist.

You're not, but I'm relatively certain that was the main point of the article.

Possibly. But when I see people knocking "right to work" (as Xavier did), to me that's like saying people should be made to join the union. As mentioned previously, I oppose that. For example, if some legal (the italics is for Sirs benefit) immigrant is here to work for a short time to make some money to send home, I don't believe forcing him to pay union dues is good, fair or reasonable. Now I don't say that an employer should not be allowed to decide to hire only union workers. But I think the employer should not be forced to decide all or nothing. He might be willing to give a job to someone non-union who does good work but who, for whatever reason, is not a union worker and not going to be. Why should the employer be prevented from doing so? Again, not saying that worker should get the benefits union workers get. I'm basically taking the position of liberty to choose on the part of the employee and the part of the employer.

I would think that a traditional Libertarian standpoint on unions would be anti-union, but I'm guessing because I'm not a dyed in the wool Libertarian and really don't know a lot about their philosophy outside of their main tenets.

Well, there are a lot of opinions on that in libertarian circles. Right-to-work laws are sometimes opposed by libertarians on the basis that such laws interfere with private labor contracts. And in every case I know of, the laws do interfere in that. Seems to me, we shouldn't need such laws, but that's an ideal situation.

I feel I should also say that when unions are defended, sometimes anyway, I get reminded of how unions have worked in the past. During the "glorious" (yes, those are sarcasm quotes) New Deal that F.D.R. gave us, unions in many trades were practically mandated, and unions were used to keep undesirables of various sorts, including people with too dark a skin color, from being allowed to work. (It wasn't for no reason that the New Deal National Recovery Administration was often rechristened with names like the "Negro Removal Act".) I'm not saying unions do that now, but I'm wary of unions because of that. I'm wary of collectivist/group thinking that tends to ignore people as individuals. So I guess this means I have a bias, but I don't believe it is entirely unreasonable.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »
Are there any UPS facilities that are not Teamster shops?

=========================================
Hello!
Since when is UPS an industry?
There is FedEx and a dozen more delivery companies at least.

The industry is trucking (package delivery is only a branch), and that is not an all-union industry.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 01:14:35 PM »

Whenever you hear about how some company or industry has 'boosted productivity', that is their way of saying that the workerts have been screwed again.

Nonsense. Do you have any idea how much everything would cost without regular productivity increases? If you think cars and gasoline and clothing and food are expensive now, imagine what the prices would be without productivity increases, companies having to hire the same number of workers now as in, say, 1920 to produce the same amount of comparable goods. Costs would be higher, and wages would probably be lower. And economic progress for many people would stagnant at best.

fatman

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »
Probably so. I hope I don't do that. I think I would not do so consciously.

I don't believe that you do.  I was rephrasing for clarity, my initial post was somewhat convoluted and didn't say what I wanted it to.

Well let's say that all the shops in an area are union shops. Or maybe most, and the one or two that are not suck. So if you want to work in the area, you're essentially forced to join the unions whether you want to or not. I'm not saying non-union workers should get all benefits that union workers do, but frankly, I do believe saying "if you want to work here you have to pay union dues" is next door (not the same) to extortion. I just don't like the idea.

That's a hypothetical that I haven't experienced personally, and I would think it to be a rather rare scenario, if it exists at all.  That said, if a person joins a company that is union, but that individual is non-union, it weakens the power of the union in collective bargaining.  First it's one person, then another, the next thing you know there are ten people, 20, 50.  That's why unions don't allow non union members in the same shop that are the same trade (at my work, the shop workers are union, but the office staff isn't), because to do so would be a death knell for the union.  I believe that I completely understand why you dislike the idea, but given a choice between allowing a non union member in or not, I would choose not to, as that weakens the power of the union, and dilutes my power as an individual, through the group, to demand just compensation.  I could argue that most union dues are cheap, and that most unions that I know of have done away with initiation fees, but I think that's irrelevant to the point that you're trying to make.  I assume that in your example that you're talking about journeymen and not apprentices.  Apprentices have even more of a responsibility to join the union (in a union shop), as it will be the union and not the employer that will be training and credentialing that apprentice until he becomes a journeyman.  If a journeyman is trying to join a union shop, and hasn't received any union assistance in his training or credentialing, I can see your point, though it wouldn't make much sense to me why someone who doesn't want to join a union would work in a union dominated trade in a union dominated area.

Again, I'm not against unions as such. I have nothing against collective bargaining. It is certainly one way to keep business owners from taking unfair advantage of the workers without relying on government to do it all. On the other hand (and this is why I oppose unions endorsing candidates and giving union dues to political campaigns) the union members are all individuals and should be treated as such.

And I generally agree with this, though as I stated before and you seemed to agree with, I have no problem with a union endorsing policy proposals that would benefit the union or the workers that comprise it.  That is probably the argument for endorsing candidates, but the problem with that is that a candidate isn't a proposal, and with a candidate it's uncertain of what you're getting.  A proposal is usually written out and the endorser knows what he is endorsing.  A candidate is at best, an educated guess.

Possibly. But when I see people knocking "right to work" (as Xavier did), to me that's like saying people should be made to join the union.

The only time someone should be forced to join a union is when they want to work in a union shop, for the reasons that I've laid out before.  I don't think that forced membership is willing membership, kind of like a conscripted army vs. a volunteer army.

For example, if some legal (the italics is for Sirs benefit) immigrant is here to work for a short time to make some money to send home, I don't believe forcing him to pay union dues is good, fair or reasonable.

If he is trying to gain employment in a union shop it is certainly good, fair, and reasonable.  Unions (with the possible exception of United Farmworkers) aren't set up for short term employment, it would be a waste of their resources to begin to train and credential someone who will only be with them for a year or two.  In my union, it takes 5 years to be vested in pension, and one has to be a journeyman to receive a 401k.  Those options aren't available to a temporary worker.

Now I don't say that an employer should not be allowed to decide to hire only union workers. But I think the employer should not be forced to decide all or nothing. He might be willing to give a job to someone non-union who does good work but who, for whatever reason, is not a union worker and not going to be.

The problem with this line of thought goes back to my posting above, in that a few workers (non-union) become many.  If an employer has union employees that he is paying $30 an hour for wages/medical/pension/etc., and non union employees that he only has to pay $15 an hour for and not supply medical or pension for, that employer would be foolish to keep paying the higher priced union members, especially if the work of the non-union member is on a par with the union members.  That's why union shops don't allow non union members in.  It's an easy way for the employer, at the next contract negotiation, to decide "Well, I can get all these cheaper workers in and increase my profit, I don't need to keep paying these other guys extra money and medical etc.".  Now imagine this happening in every trade across the country, what would be the result?  There would be no unions at all, and in theory what would happen is that the labor market would determine the value of that labor.  What would probably happen in actuality is that the business owners would determine that if they can keep wages low, even through agreements with other employers and businesses, and maximize their profits.  Only now, because a union shop would be expected to allow non union workers in, the union has no power to negotiate on behalf of its members because they can't leverage wages as a whole, only as a part, thus weakening the power of collective bargaining.

Why should the employer be prevented from doing so?

Because it will wipe out the union, and probably begin a slide that wipes out all unions.

Again, not saying that worker should get the benefits union workers get. I'm basically taking the position of liberty to choose on the part of the employee and the part of the employer.

And I think that I addressed the problem with the two tiered system above.  While I understand the liberty aspect of your line of thought, I really don't want someone coming into my work willing to work for half of what I do.  That is a direct threat to my job, and a reason why scabs are treated so harshly by unions and its members.  If enough people come into my work willing to work for half of what I make, eventually I will either lose my job, through no fault of my own, or be forced to work for half of my previous wage.  Now where's the liberty or the right to choose in that?

Well, there are a lot of opinions on that in libertarian circles. Right-to-work laws are sometimes opposed by libertarians on the basis that such laws interfere with private labor contracts. And in every case I know of, the laws do interfere in that. Seems to me, we shouldn't need such laws, but that's an ideal situation.

In an ideal situation, union and shops and non union shops would both exist in equal proportion.  I would have no problem with that.  What I do have a problem with is union busting and threats and proposals to weaken the power of unions and its workers, whether it's in collective bargaining, trade agreements, or whatever.  Union busting is the opposite end of your argument (and I know that you're not arguing for union busting, just pointing this out), where the country would be non union and someone wanting to join a union couldn't.  There's no freedom or liberty in that end either.  The best situation lies somewhere in the middle of the two.

I feel I should also say that when unions are defended, sometimes anyway, I get reminded of how unions have worked in the past. During the "glorious" (yes, those are sarcasm quotes) New Deal that F.D.R. gave us, unions in many trades were practically mandated, and unions were used to keep undesirables of various sorts, including people with too dark a skin color, from being allowed to work. (It wasn't for no reason that the New Deal National Recovery Administration was often rechristened with names like the "Negro Removal Act".) I'm not saying unions do that now, but I'm wary of unions because of that.

I actually wasn't aware of this, just did a quick google and found some more info on it.  That's a horrid situation.  I'll be checking out some books at the library this week on union history, this thread has piqued my interest.  When I think of people defending the thought of de-unionization, it brings to mind things like the Chehalis Massacre and the Wobblies.  I think that we come from two different perspectives on how we view these things.  Unions, as any other entity, have good histories and bad ones. 

I'm not saying unions do that now, but I'm wary of unions because of that. I'm wary of collectivist/group thinking that tends to ignore people as individuals. So I guess this means I have a bias, but I don't believe it is entirely unreasonable.

I've never considered you or most of your thinking to be unreasonable, quite the opposite, though I think that there are areas where we disagree on this subject.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »
Or maybe most, and the one or two that are not suck. So if you want to work in the area, you're essentially forced to join the unions whether you want to or not. I'm not saying non-union workers should get all benefits that union workers do, but frankly, I do believe saying "if you want to work here you have to pay union dues" is next door (not the same) to extortion. I just don't like the idea.
=========================================
The reason the union jpobs do not suck is almost certainly because the union has negotiated a nonsucky contract. Face it: you owe them one.

If your principles are so utterly high, then take the sucky non-union gyppo job. You takes the money or you takes your "freedom".

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 03:22:52 PM »

I believe that I completely understand why you dislike the idea, but given a choice between allowing a non union member in or not, I would choose not to, as that weakens the power of the union, and dilutes my power as an individual, through the group, to demand just compensation.

Okay, I would not say I agree completely, but that is reasonable, and I see your point.

Unions (with the possible exception of United Farmworkers) aren't set up for short term employment, it would be a waste of their resources to begin to train and credential someone who will only be with them for a year or two.  In my union, it takes 5 years to be vested in pension, and one has to be a journeyman to receive a 401k.  Those options aren't available to a temporary worker.

Which goes to my point. The union is, at that point, standing in the way of employment. It creates an artificial employment floor.

If enough people come into my work willing to work for half of what I make, eventually I will either lose my job, through no fault of my own, or be forced to work for half of my previous wage.  Now where's the liberty or the right to choose in that?

A fair point. But what you said about competition between union and non-union shops might apply. If the union workers are better trained and better workers over all, I should think the employer would have good incentive to keep union workers around. But that implies a rational thought on the part of the employer that may not take into consideration other factors. Your point about diminished bargaining power, however is well made and well taken.

The best situation lies somewhere in the middle of the two.

Yeah, you're probably correct on that one.

When I think of people defending the thought of de-unionization, it brings to mind things like the Chehalis Massacre and the Wobblies.

Good point. This is why I don't oppose the existence of unions at all.

I think that we come from two different perspectives on how we view these things.  Unions, as any other entity, have good histories and bad ones.

Yep. Very true.

Good discussion, Fatman, as usual. You made good arguments that I'll have to think about.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 03:24:55 PM »

If your principles are so utterly high, then take the sucky non-union gyppo job. You takes the money or you takes your "freedom".

Oh get off the high horse already. Before you fall off. I'm not arguing against unions. Pay attention.

Rich

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 04:00:46 PM »
>>I think we can also all assume that anything you have to say on the subject is biased.<<

I think there's a better word to describe it.

This kind of stuff: "... you have no right whatever to refuse to support them." is pure totalitarianism. The stuff of Mao and Stalin and all the other communist despots lying on the ash heap of history.

I have a right to refuse to join your stinking union. Send some union thugs around and try and make me.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »

I have a non-union job. Pay is good, benefits are good, no union dues. I didn't seem to have any problems negotiating my own salary and benefits.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »

I have a non-union job. Pay is good, benefits are good, no union dues. I didn't seem to have any problems negotiating my own salary and benefits.

Who decides if you can be fired, Ami?