Author Topic: I`m putting mine straight to wamu  (Read 989 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I`m putting mine straight to wamu
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:29:56 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23902671

I just wrote a bid ass check to pay for my property taxes.
I really not in any mood to spend money.
I need to open a brick and morter account for puting spare change money in
wamu is big enough to handle what I need.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I`m putting mine straight to wamu
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:22:59 AM »
If you have a credit union, that would be my choice...course I don't know how convenient yours is, if you do have one.  I'd never heard of wamu before.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »
that`s short for washington mutual
my plan is to open an account on a bank with as many branches as possible so if I got spare change I can dump it quickly.
so B of A,wells or Wamu are the options that I can think of
shame ATM don`t take deposit of other banks, than I could use any bank.
but banks has no reason to do that

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »
AS a rule, Credit unions are better than Savings and Loans, and "full-service" banks are worse than S&L's.
There are, however, some online banks that pay a better interest rate than any of these. ING's Orange Savings is one of them.

You can keep your money there when you don;t need it and have it transferred on line when you do within a week or less, perhaps in a day, depending on your checkign account bank.

You can also use money market accounts the same way. US Global has several of these with free checking. The money isn't insured by the FDIC, but no one has ever lost a dime in either of their MM accounts.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 04:17:13 PM »
hmm
thinking of a combo thing
use the WAMU for the easy deposits and routinely transfer the money to ING for the interest
thanks

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 07:57:27 AM »
thinking of a combo thing
use the WAMU for the easy deposits and routinely transfer the money to ING for the interest
thanks

========================================
That is what I have been doing. ING  has been proven to be reliable so far (so has US Global, which invests in Treasury securities in one fund and short term low rish=k commercial debt in another), and my checking account is free with free online access, but it pays only a pitiful .25%. That's $25 on $1000 over a year.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 01:52:20 PM »
You might want to rethink Wamu:

WaMu gets $7 billion infusion, cuts jobs, sees big loss
Tue Apr 8, 2008 11:11am EDT

By Jonathan Stempel

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Washington Mutual Inc, the largest U.S. savings and loan, said on Tuesday it obtained a $7 billion capital injection from private equity firm TPG Inc and other investors, but that mortgage problems will lead to a $1.1 billion quarterly loss and the elimination of 3,000 jobs.

Shares fell as much as 13 percent.

The thrift also plans to close its 186 stand-alone home loan offices and stop offering loans through mortgage brokers. It will instead offer home loans in its retail branches, where some of the affected mortgage workers will be offered jobs.

WaMu, as the thrift is known, said it expects a first-quarter loss of $1.40 per share, more than twice the 51 cents that analysts on average expected.

The Seattle-based thrift expects to set aside $3.5 billion in the quarter for loan losses, nearly twice what it previously projected, and said net charge-offs will total $1.4 billion.

WaMu will also reduce its quarterly dividend per share to 1 cent from 15 cents, saving $490 million a year. The cut is the second in four months.

Chief Executive Kerry Killinger is raising money and curbing risky lending to boost capital and assure investors the 119-year-old thrift can survive the nation's housing crisis. The capital boost is $2 billion larger than earlier expected.

"These companies are getting serious," said James McGlynn, a portfolio manager at Summit Investment Partners in Southlake, Texas. "They are bringing in capital, (and) getting out of businesses where they weren't efficient. It just seems like they are getting their comeuppance."

Shares of WaMu were down $1.30, or 9.9 percent, at $11.82 in morning trading, after earlier falling to $11.41. They had risen 29 percent on Monday, after news of the thrift's plans to raise capital first surfaced.

WaMu joined more than a dozen commercial and investment banks to seek cash from outside investors in the last year, following more than $200 billion of write-downs and credit losses tied to the nation's housing and credit crises.

The thrift lost $1.87 billion in the fourth quarter, hurt by exposure to housing markets such as California and Florida. While WaMu last year pared its exposure to subprime and other risky home loans, it didn't do so fast enough.

In a statement, Killinger said: "This substantial new capital -- along with the other steps we are announcing today -- will position us for a return to profitability as these elevated credit costs subside."

Killinger was not immediately available for further comment.

BONDERMAN REJOINS BOARD

In the capital-raising, WaMu sold about 176 million shares at $8.75 each, for gross proceeds of $1.54 billion. It also sold $5.5 billion of convertible preferred shares with an initial conversion price of $8.75.

David Bonderman, a founding partner of TPG and a director of WaMu from 1996 to 2002, will rejoin WaMu's board. Larry Kellner, the chief executive of Continental Airlines Inc, will become a board observer, at TPG's request.

The investment could signal confidence in the banking system, but expose TPG to losses if WaMu's business sours.

"It's a sign of smart money making a major bet in what they hope is a bottom in real estate," said Robert Stovall, a strategist at Wood Asset Management in Sarasota, Florida.

It was not immediately clear which other investors were involved in the transaction, or how much each invested. Neither TPG nor Continental was immediately available for comment.

Last year, WaMu was the nation's sixth-largest U.S. mortgage lender and 11th-largest subprime lender, according to the newsletter Inside Mortgage Finance.

The thrift's other units include retail banking, commercial banking and credit cards. To shore up capital, WaMu in the fourth quarter cut its dividend 73 percent and sold $3.9 billion of preferred shares.

Goldman Sachs & Co., Lehman Brothers Inc and the law firm Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP assisted WaMu on the TPG-led transaction. Credit Suisse and the law firm Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP advised TPG.

(Additional reporting by Dan Wilchins and Al Yoon, editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Dave Zimmerman)

http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?articleId=USWNAS711120080408