Author Topic: A Technical question for XO  (Read 521 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Technical question for XO
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:57:17 PM »
    I was just watching the Sci channel about Christopher Columbus.

They claim that in the letters Christopher Columbus wrote were always in Spanish , written in the style that would indicate a good education and a pattern of speech typical of Barcelona.

Even the letters he sent to his brother and his bankers in Genoa were in Spanish , no examples of his writing in Italian survive .

Some of his biographies claim that he left Genoa in his early twenties.

Do you think it possible that Christopher learned to write,  or learned important parts of literacy,after he came to Spain and was more literate in Spanish than in Italian?

Or was Spanish a better business language at that time , even for letters to Italy?

Or does this really contradict his Genoese origin story?

Have you ever met someone that had a strong preference for his second language over his first?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: A Technical question for XO
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:34:03 PM »
Most people prefer their first language over others they learn later in life. My opinion is that Colombus learned how to read and write in Spanish. His Spanish was sort of a mishmash of Spanish, Italian and Latin. I have not read a lot of his writings, but what I have read do not impress me much. People in Barcelona did not and still do not speak Spanish, they speak Catalan. The books Colombus read about navigation and travel destinations were mostly written in Latin. His father was some sort of fabric merchant. I do not believe that he was Jewish or came from anywhere other than Genoa.

There was no Italian language in Colombus' time. There were an assortment of dialects that later became standardized as Italian, based on the Piedmont area dialect somewhat later. Colombus would have spoken Genovese, which is not precisely Italian. Spanish became standardized as Castillano about the time of Colombus. Isabel was from Casilla, Ferdinand was from Aragon, which included Catalonia at the time. Aragon was divided linguistically between Aragonese, much closer to Castillian, and Catalan, which was and is the language spoken in the Baleric Islands (Mallorca. Menorca, Ibiza, Fomentera  and some smaller islands), as well as Andorra.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:10:08 AM »
  Terrific, Excellent answer.

I just watched a whole SCI channel documentary which was only half this convincing.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:45:33 AM »
I don't have cable and do not watch th SCI channel. I occasionally see stuff on the History Channel, which tends to be really dumbed down and sensationalized far beyond what any real historian would do.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."