Author Topic: Doesn't NY already have very strict gun control laws?  (Read 3480 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Doesn't NY already have very strict gun control laws?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »
The media shifted when wmd's were not found. They probably thought Kerry had a chance, they also probably thought that the dems would retake congress by at least the 06 election.

The fact remains that a reporter with ambitions will develop resources no matter the party, and part of the bargain is the occasional fluff piece. They may be predisposed to backing lib causes but that doesn't exclude them from doing what is necessary to protect relationships with the conservative side of the aisle.

No, they shifted far sooner than that, I'm afraid.  Troop build up, war escalation costs, frequent broadcasting of Democrat politicians denouncing the run up.  Heding that the Dems may retake 06 was pretty much their expectation, being that they were helping to facilitate the political landscape, with their biased reporting.  Sorry Bt, the bias has been ongoing for many an administration.

The fact remains, that while a reporter may attempt to curry what can be done for better access, the portrait of the stories consistently paint 2 different patterns, depending on the party that the reporter is targeting
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
  Is there a diffrence in the way that Republicans respond to reporters currying favor?

Is there documentation or polling for the purportion of journalists who are actual Democrats?--Republicans?

I think that there is a large disproportion of liberals vs conservatives in the corps of journalists, and no matter how well intentioned or ethical there is a handicap in explaining the opponents thoughts , which you may not understand as well as someone who actually thinks the same.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »
Good point, Plane.  When you surround yourself with likeminded folks, even an acutely biased template will seem to be perfectly mainstream
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »
Here's an example of a press release disguised as a news story. I planted it.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%20Library/Local%20Gov%20Services/Topical%20Resources/Green%20Communities/37-Mtn-Park-Rain-Barrels.pdf

Lloyd Hendricks, a blacksmith in the tiny north Fulton town of Mountain Park, built a stand for one of the rain barrels he's installed.

That story doubled sales.

In exchange i gave her deep background info on the behind the scenes maneuvering concerning lake restoration litigation.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:28:43 PM by BT »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 05:34:57 PM »
You'll get back to us when you have lead stories at the NY Times and anchors for messers NBC & CBS frequently applying the same standard as your Atlanta PDF file

Remember, no one here is claiming its 100% liberal bias, where there are zero stories that might favor Republicans.  The claim, supported by the mountains of ongoing reinforcement, is in the predominant left leaning bias in the MSM. 

Yes, access to both sides is nice, and I'm sure a goal with most reporters.  But that isn't at issue here.  The issue is the claim that that "Government and the MSM feed off each other".  That claim is incorrect, unless the clarification is applied of a positive feeding with Democrats, while negative with Republicans 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
The issue is the claim that that "Government and the MSM feed off each other". 

Nonsense. I just proved my point on a smaller scale. They do in fact do that it, it matters little what party you are with.

What you are doing is taking a simple statement of fact and insisting on a qualifier, not to fine tune the statement of fact, but to buttress your meme of the unfairness of the press.

They are two separate issues. Bias vs access. Conflating them does not change that fact.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 05:57:57 PM »
The issue is the claim that that "Government and the MSM feed off each other".  

They are two separate issues. Bias vs access. Conflating them does not change that fact.

Nor did I.  In fact, I'm the one that has been attempting to deliniate the 2 with my ongoing concession that access to a party is a hopeful goal by any reporter     ::)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 06:12:48 PM »
While insisting that the arrangements lean left , and that is not the case. Access is access, bias is bias.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 06:14:52 PM »
The arrangements frequently lean postively left and negatively right, when said article comes out.  And the reporter remains giddy with their access

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »
The arrangements frequently lean postively left and negatively right, when said article comes out.  And the reporter remains giddy with their access

Perhaps you can show the class where this is true. Perhaps an example of a conservative staffer suggesting a story advocating x and the reporter delivered y and still maintained access to said staffer.

I'm sure you can do that.  You wouldn't just make it up would you?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 06:41:15 PM »
Been there done that....adnauseum.  The current article even helps reinforce that, in the inferrence that the Obama's Jobs bill needs to be passed.  I have no need to keep repeating example after example after example of the bias.  And as I've said, I'm sure any reporter would be happy to gain any access they can

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »
Here's an example of a press release disguised as a news story. I planted it.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%20Library/Local%20Gov%20Services/Topical%20Resources/Green%20Communities/37-Mtn-Park-Rain-Barrels.pdf

Lloyd Hendricks, a blacksmith in the tiny north Fulton town of Mountain Park, built a stand for one of the rain barrels he's installed.

That story doubled sales.

In exchange i gave her deep background info on the behind the scenes maneuvering concerning lake restoration litigation.

Do you mean that boring storys are printed in quid pro quo for interesting info?

Well whaddya know?

So does Atlanta have room for more reservoirs?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
Been there done that....adnauseum.  The current article even helps reinforce that, in the inferrence that the Obama's Jobs bill needs to be passed.  I have no need to keep repeating example after example after example of the bias.  And as I've said, I'm sure any reporter would be happy to gain any access they can

No what you have done, with the help of MRC shown bias exists, even though MRC could just as easilly be accused of bias.

What you haven't done is examine the access relationship and what happens when that trust is abused.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »

No what you have done, with the help of MRC shown bias exists, even though MRC could just as easilly be accused of bias.

What you haven't done is examine the access relationship and what happens when that trust is abused.

Quid pro quo would apply to anyone with something to say and / or a little bit of dirt.

Doesn't explain the perception of bias.

I recall the recovery during the Bush years , after the .com bubble bursting the recovery seemed slow and jobless.

More recently after the house sales bubble bursting the recovery seems slow and jobless.

I would guess that the recovery was faster with Bush , but Bush caught more flack overall.

I don't recall a lot of press swooning over canadate Bush as Obama got either.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »

Yea....and....the bias exists.  Your glossing over it, doesn't remove that from our current reality or lessen my point as it relates to this thread.  It's at the crux of the point I've made, while conceding that reporters do indeed hope for better access to all parties. both Dems and Republicans