Author Topic: Meditation on a Sin by Domer  (Read 1889 times)

domer

Meditation on a Sin by Domer
« on: October 08, 2006, 05:04:27 PM »
I am not above overestimating my own significance, and this tale may illustrate that point. On the other hand, it may also (or instead) illustrate a temporary character flaw worth raising for any general value it may have as a cautionary tale.

On my way to the medical building the other day, where I had to get a blood test, I had a number of pleasant exchanges with folks I encountered, including three black people. In that regard, it was a typical day. When I entered the lobby of the medical building, however, I veered a little out of character. I lament the incident for what it might have meant, not for what it necessarily was.

Traversing the busy lobby, I encountered a good deal of different people, many of whom I acknowledged with a smile. Then, a tall, thirty-something, dark black man with a shaved head and a very handsome appearance, impeccably dressed in an expensive tan suit and turtle-neck, came striding my way. I avoided looking him in the eye. I did not want that type of encounter at that time. I imagined getting a hostile glare from the man, the proud man of unknown anger encountering my version of "the man." I know that was a faux pas, an instance when, depending on that gentleman's outlook, I could have inflicted a slight with a sting. I regretted it almost immediately, but the moment had passed.

In the days leading up to my blood test, I had a sharp encounter with a cheeky, black client, who was claiming prerogatives he didn't have. I was also looking forward to the weekend's football games, among the most promising being Dallas visiting Philadelphia, the return of everybody's favorite pain in the ass, Terrell Owens, to the stadium whose team he almost destroyed. So what I did was to stow my courage and possibly slight a man who could have owned the lab I was going to!

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Meditation on a Sin by Domer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:00:59 PM »
I've had different variations of the same thing happen, not always racial.  So you fucked up.  Slighted somebody for no good reason, added a little extra bit of bad karma into the world and you can't go back and undo it.  You feel shitty, try to do better next time and that's life.  Use it as a springboard.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:38:29 PM »
Why do you think allocating your own time as you see fit is a sin?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 12:39:47 AM »
Not making eye contact isn't a sin. 
For 2 busy men striding onward, ever onward, it's a refreshing change, I would think.   
But I have felt the same way, for almost the same reason.   If you feel bad about something there is probably a reason.    A lesson to be learned, something you need to meditate on, as you say.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 02:43:19 AM »

Is it necessacery to quash instinct?

Hunches?

When you meet a person half of what happens is subliminal.

The thing that causes you to feel an uncomfortable feeling might not be noticable , and you may attribute it to some other thing.

Can you have a negative hunch about anyone fairly? A hunch is not prone to fairness.

Can you imagine getting into an elevator with some one you had negative vibes from because you were supressing the feeling on purpose?

Can you imagine an animal ignoreing a bad feeling like that and gettig into a small box willingly when its already occupied by something that causes it fright?

I have had the elevator door open and shut in frount of me and a lady who was waiting for it not get on  , well I don't always look my best I guess, I can't have hard feelings ,I understand what she is feeling.