Author Topic: Noose discovery stuns Columbia University  (Read 2015 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Noose discovery stuns Columbia University
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:50:22 AM »
Noose discovery stuns Columbia University

From Sarah B. Boxer
CNN
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A noose was discovered this week on the office door of an African-American professor at Columbia University, school officials and the New York Police Department said.

The noose was found in a building at Columbia's Teachers College, said Joe Levine, executive director for external affairs at Teachers College.

The noose apparently was placed on the 44-year-old professor's office door sometime before 9 a.m. ET Tuesday, Levine said.

Security cameras cover the entrance to the building, but there are none in the hallway where the noose was discovered, he added.

The building, which is open 24 hours a day, is accessible only to those with a Teachers College ID card or proof that they are affiliated with someone within the school, Levine said

The New York Police Department's Hate Crime Task Force is investigating.

Reacting to the news, more than 150 undergraduates attended a meeting Tuesday night on campus, and more than 120 Teachers College students expressed outrage at a gathering in their dining hall as well, according to the student-run newspaper Columbia Spectator.

University President Lee Bollinger denounced the incident in a statement released to the Spectator: "This is an assault on African-Americans and therefore it is an assault on every one of us. I know I speak on behalf of every member of our communities in condemning this horrible action."

Teachers College has more than 5,000 graduate students and 165 faculty members, according to school officials.

Columbia has had a spate of bias-related incidents in recent years, but Levine said, "I've never seen anything like this here."

The student paper said the noose's discovery came on the heels of several recent politically and racially charged events at Columbia, including the controversial visit of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

It also follows news reports of racial tensions in Jena, Louisiana, that attracted national attention. In the "Jena 6" case, white students in the small town hung nooses from a schoolyard tree after black students sat under it. Marchers last month protested how authorities handled the cases of six black teenagers accused of beating a white student after the noose incident.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/10/columbia.noose/index.html?eref=googletoolbar

Richpo64

Re: Noose discovery stuns Columbia University
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:49:40 PM »
This really shouldn't surprise anyone.

How long do you expect people to sit back and take being called Nazi's, racists, homophobes, killers, and the litany of other hateful names and accusations being heaped on them for purely political reasons before they react (well, in sirs case that would be forever)?

The lefts rhetoric has created an environment in this country that is crying our for retrobution, and we're seeing just the beginning of what they're evil has rout.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 05:55:54 PM »
The irony here is that Richpo, I'm pretty sure, is one of those folks who condemns what he considers the "Blame America" crowd.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:44:05 PM »
<<The lefts rhetoric has created an environment in this country that is crying our for retrobution, and we're seeing just the beginning of what they're evil has rout.>>

Nooses are just a start.  Rich won't be really happy till he sees swastikas and Hitler posters.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:24:26 PM »
This really shouldn't surprise anyone.

How long do you expect people to sit back and take being called Nazi's, racists, homophobes, killers, and the litany of other hateful names and accusations being heaped on them for purely political reasons before they react (well, in sirs case that would be forever)?

The lefts rhetoric has created an environment in this country that is crying our for retrobution, and we're seeing just the beginning of what they're evil has rout.

Their behavior ought to be their problem , a noose is a death threat , under what circumstances is that appropriate?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:59:26 PM »
Nooses are just a start.  Rich won't be really happy till he sees swastikas and Hitler posters.

Boy Tee, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find even 1 quality Rich admires in Hitler.  In fact, you seem to have many things you liked about Hitler, than I've ever seen Rich lead anyone to believe.  You probably have one of his posters next some some of the other dictators you admire.  But go ahead, ask him anyways
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 08:22:28 PM »
<<Boy Tee, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find even 1 quality Rich admires in Hitler. >>

You're joking, right?  How about their rock-solid faith in brute violence as the best solution to all problems?  How about their visceral anti-communism?  Rich is more like Hitler than any other poster in this group, by a long shot.

<<In fact, you seem to have many things you liked about Hitler, than I've ever seen Rich lead anyone to believe.  You probably have one of his posters next some some of the other dictators you admire.>>

Hitler?  He's not fit to shine their shoes.   I did say that he's brighter than Bush, more articulate than Bush, more charismatic than Bush, more courageous than Bush and more artistically talented than Bush - - but then, hell, who isn't?

<<But go ahead, ask him anyways>>

Awww, OK.  Hey Rich - - like the way Hitler deals with HIS enemies?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 10:11:38 PM »
<<Boy Tee, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find even 1 quality Rich admires in Hitler. >>

You're joking, right?  How about their rock-solid faith in brute violence as the best solution to all problems? 

You mean rhetoric like "sirs and his ilk must be prevented, by force if necessary, from having their way in the world.  It's as simple as that.  They are the enemy"   That kind of problem solving??  Disregarding your apparent Hitler idolatry, care to actually substantiate how Rich has a similar admiration??  Or is the same 'ol same ol, Someone doesn't agree with me, therefore they must be Fascist Hitler lovers.

Rich is more like Hitler than any other poster in this group, by a long shot.

Yea, right.  And no plane hit the Pentagon, 911 was an inside job, & Bush lied us into war     ::)

<<But go ahead, ask him anyways>>

Awww, OK.  Hey Rich - - like the way Hitler deals with HIS enemies?

ahhh huh, caught with his hand in the cookie jar, Tee launches a new query to be put in its place.  Instead of admiring Hitler for Hitler, its now admiring how he supposedly dealt with his enemies.  I've yet to see any assemblence of Rich advocating the use of Gas chambers
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 10:34:18 PM »
<<You mean rhetoric like "sirs and his ilk must be prevented, by force if necessary, from having their way in the world.  It's as simple as that.  They are the enemy"   That kind of problem solving??  >>

Yeah, exactly THAT kind of problem solving.   Anyone who believes in torture is the enemy and they must be stopped.  Unlike Bush, I did not advocate violence as the first available solution.  Note I said "by force if necessary."    At the time, I understood you to be much more of a torture advocate than you turned out to be.  But waterboarding is still torture and anyone who supports torture of any kind is the enemy.

<< . . .  care to actually substantiate how Rich has a similar admiration?? >>

Rich is full of violent threats towards those he disagrees with, as were the Nazis.

<<Yea, right.  [that Rich is more like Hitler than any other poster in this group.]  And no plane hit the Pentagon, 911 was an inside job, & Bush lied us into war  >>   

Slow down, sirs, you're frothing at the mouth.  I never said that no plane hit the Pentagon, or that 911 was an inside job.  And Bush DID lie you into war.  And he's still lying.

<<ahhh huh, caught with his hand in the cookie jar>>

?  ?  ?  huh?

<< Tee launches a new query to be put in its place.>>

YOU invited me to, remember?  Find one quality that Rich admires in Hitler?

<<  Instead of admiring Hitler for Hitler, its now admiring how he supposedly dealt with his enemies. >>

I think YOU are the one who changed the goalposts here, sirs, nobody until now ever limited this to admiring Hitler "for Hitler," you yourself asked me to find <even one quality Rich admires in Hitler."  Hitler, like Rich, is intolerant of other views and threatens and demeans their holders with personal insults and invective, threatens them with violence of one kind or another and smears them with all kinds of vile allegations bearing no relation at all to their real-life characters.

<< I've yet to see any assemblence of Rich advocating the use of Gas chambers>>

Rich knows what he can get away with publicly and what he can't.  As did Hitler.  For your information, Hitler never advocated gas chambers publicly either.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 11:18:21 PM »
<<You mean rhetoric like "sirs and his ilk must be prevented, by force if necessary, from having their way in the world.  It's as simple as that.  They are the enemy"   That kind of problem solving??  >>

Yeah, exactly THAT kind of problem solving.   Anyone who believes in torture is the enemy and they must be stopped.  

Problem is, your only grasp at "torture" is waterboarding, as if that's analogus to the vile stuff pulled by AlQeada.  That's where your credibility train leaves the track,....if it was ever on the track

Unlike Bush, I did not advocate violence as the first available solution. 

Neither did Bush.  It became a last resort, with the final straw being the breaching of 1441.  So don't try to pull yet another lie that Bush went to war 1st.  12years Saddam had to get his act together, 12.  After 911, we put him on notice and on the clock, giving him even MORE time to get his act together.  Even went to the UN, and had 1441 passed.  Sorry if those damn facts and timeline keep getting in the way of a good BDS rant of what "is" is.

At the time, I understood you to be much more of a torture advocate than you turned out to be. 

That's because you WILFULLY don't pay attention past your own predsposed talking points of what a Conservative is supposed to be

But waterboarding is still torture and anyone who supports torture of any kind is the enemy.

To you maybe.  To me torture is actually TORTURE, the act of dismembering, mutilating, breaking, tearing, raping, burning the body.  AlQeada-like stuff

Rich is full of violent threats towards those he disagrees with, as were the Nazis.

LOL, that's hardly a validation that he admires Hitler.  It only validates that he's.......just as passionate in his beliefs as you are, with the same tempertantrum to boot.  By your logic you must also be a nazi lover....anything to deal with "the enemy", right?

<<Yea, right.  [that Rich is more like Hitler than any other poster in this group.]  And no plane hit the Pentagon, 911 was an inside job, & Bush lied us into war  >>   

I never said that no plane hit the Pentagon, or that 911 was an inside job. 

I never said you did.  I simply compared your egregious accusation with that of few others.

And Bush DID lie you into war.  And he's still lying.

Like that one.  Thanks

<<ahhh huh, caught with his hand in the cookie jar  Tee launches a new query to be put in its place.>>

YOU invited me to, remember?  Find one quality that Rich admires in Hitler?

Yea, that of the dictator Hitler, and why he'd have a poster of him in his room.  One right next to yours perhaps of Fidel.  When you realized how outrageous a position that was, you apparently pulled back a few notches to finding something he might have done to his enemies that Rich might want to support, vs supporting Hitler himself.  Same goalposts, you just simply moved your kickoff "tee" 20yards back.

<< I've yet to see any assemblence of Rich advocating the use of Gas chambers>>

Rich knows what he can get away with publicly and what he can't.  As did Hitler.  For your information, Hitler never advocated gas chambers publicly either.

Ahhh, so all those millions of Jews gased by the Nazis were done under Hitler's nose, so that he'd be none the wiser.  Gotcha       ::)

Richpo64

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »
>> Their behavior ought to be their problem , a noose is a death threat , under what circumstances is that appropriate? <<

Never. My point is that through their constant hate mongering the left has fostered this kind of reaction. Eventually people are going to react to the constant barrage of lies and false accussation thrown at them from the left.

Some people will react more strongly and in kind. Cause and effect.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 10:54:52 PM »

My point is that through their constant hate mongering the left has fostered this kind of reaction. Eventually people are going to react to the constant barrage of lies and false accussation thrown at them from the left.

The irony of this is amusing on the one hand and pathetic on the other.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 06:56:06 AM »
My point is that through their constant hate mongering the left has fostered this kind of reaction. Eventually people are going to react to the constant barrage of lies and false accussation thrown at them from the left.

=================================================
What sort of activity do you imagine your constant spewing of hate will provoke, Richpo?

Will they take up noose tying?  Swastika-scribbling? Or will they all join the Communist Party?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."