Author Topic: Rafsanjani picked to head Iran's powerful assembly  (Read 1643 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rafsanjani picked to head Iran's powerful assembly
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:21:59 PM »
Rafsanjani picked to head Iran's powerful assembly
By Edmund Blair
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL0417001120070904?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Clerics picked Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani on Tuesday to lead a powerful Iranian government body, in a boost for the former president who wants better ties with the West and a blow to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Rafsanjani's victory over a hardline rival to become speaker of the Assembly of Experts is a further step in his political recovery at the expense of Ahmadinejad, a vociferous critic of the West who beat the pragmatic, mid-ranking cleric in the 2005 presidential race, analysts said.

But the change will not herald a shift in Iran's foreign or nuclear policy nor would it have a big impact on the assembly's tendency to stay clear of day-to-day politics, analysts added.

The assembly is an 86-seat body with the power to appoint, supervise and even dismiss the Islamic Republic's highest authority, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

It has, however, not exercised the power to dismiss the supreme leader and is not believed to have directly intervened in policy-making.

The clerics, many of them in their 60s or more, met to replace Speaker Ayatollah Ali Meshkini, who died in July.

"(Rafsanjani) was elected as the head of the Assembly of Experts," assembly spokesman Hossein Habibzadeh told Reuters.

Rafsanjani, president in the 1990s, has increasingly sided with pro-reform politicians opposed to Ahmadinejad. In the speaker contest, he beat Ayatollah Jannati, head of the Guardian Council, an oversight body reformists blame for blocking many of their candidates in presidential and parliamentary elections.

Rafsanjani won 41 votes to Jannati's 34, Iranian media said.

"It means to hardliners, like Jannati and Ahmadinejad, that (Rafsanjani) is not somebody they can sideline easily. He is going to play a role in the leadership of the country and they have to come to terms with that," said one political analyst.

'WE SHOULD NOT PROVOKE'

"Maybe the reformists, after the election, (will) say, 'It is a victory for us ,and it is a sign of victory in the parliament (election in March)," Amir Mohebian, a conservative commentator, said before the vote he expected Rafsanjani to win.

He said such an assessment by reformists, who seek social and political change, would overstate their position but he said the win would add luster to Rafsanjani's political comeback.

Rafsanjani scored another victory in December by topping the vote in the Tehran constituency in the December assembly election, well ahead of a cleric seen as close to Ahmadinejad.

Rafsanjani, who has had a hand in virtually every major political development in the country during and since the 1979 Islamic revolution, has become an increasingly vocal critic of Ahmadinejad's government, albeit usually in veiled terms.

Before going into Tuesday's closed-door session of the assembly, he told reporters: "At the same time as defending our rightful positions, we should not provoke and we should not provide an excuse (to Iran's enemies)."

Opponents of Ahmadinejad accuse the president of drawing the wrath of world powers and provoking U.N. sanctions in a standoff over Tehran's atomic plans because of firebrand speeches against the West. They say quiet diplomacy would be better.

The assembly is dominated by traditional conservatives, ardent supporters of Iran's system of clerical rule but some of whom are also seen as wary of Ahmadinejad's approach.

Analysts said Rafsanjani's win showed his skill in bridging more than one political camp and would enhance his standing with traditional conservatives in the seminaries of Qom, the heartland of the clerical establishment south of Tehran.

(Additional reporting by Hossein Jaseb and Zahra Hosseinian)

? Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Rafsanjani picked to head Iran's powerful assembly
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »
This is good news.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 02:31:33 PM »
Yes, a definite start in the right direction.

I would much prefer reasonable dialogue with them versus bombing them back to the Stone Age. Much less expensive...:-)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 02:35:14 PM »
Maybe the clerics aren't as sure of Ahmadinejad's calculations and faith as Ahmadinejad is?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 02:41:52 PM »
Maybe the clerics aren't as sure of Ahmadinejad's calculations and faith as Ahmadinejad is?

Almost everything I've read mentions that the clerics can't stand him. They think he is a fool and do not appreciate his Shi'ite mysticism.

gipper

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:50:19 PM »
Good news. An ostensibly good man. Maybe sanity will reign ... on both sides.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:51:24 PM »
Shi'ite mysticism????

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 03:04:25 PM »
Shi'ite mysticism????

Shi'ite followers believe in the 12th Imam, or Mahdi, coming and bringing utopia to earth. In other words, the Shi'ite apocalypse.

Ahmadinejad is obsessed with this concept (way more obsessed than ordinary clerics) and infuses his belief of imminent apocolypse into his politics.

Imagine if a doomsday cult fanatic were POTUS. It's a disaster.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 05:51:06 PM »
Ahmedinejad saying that he believes in the twelfth Imam is akin to Juniorbush saying that Jesus is his favorite philosopher.

This should be taken as simply something a politician says to curry favor with his constituents.

Juniorbush says hes' a "uniter, not a divider", and portrays himself as a shrewd businessman with an MBA.

Ahmedinejad portrays himself as a PhD engineer and a fundie Muslim with the requisite scraggly beard and no necktie.

Each of these dudes is putting on an act for the uneducated masses.

Neither is to be taken seriously by anyone capable of thought.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 08:39:30 AM »
Ahmedinejad saying that he believes in the twelfth Imam is akin to Juniorbush saying that Jesus is his favorite philosopher.

This should be taken as simply something a politician says to curry favor with his constituents.

Juniorbush says hes' a "uniter, not a divider", and portrays himself as a shrewd businessman with an MBA.

Ahmedinejad portrays himself as a PhD engineer and a fundie Muslim with the requisite scraggly beard and no necktie.

Each of these dudes is putting on an act for the uneducated masses.

Neither is to be taken seriously by anyone capable of thought.

I absolutely disagree. He is obsessed with doomsday scenarios. And if the conservative clerics think he's too obsessed... well, coming from them, I think they're probably right.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 10:59:58 AM »
He spent quite a bit of money rebuilding a shrine to the 12th Imam. Well, perhaps not rebuilding, but modernising it.

I'd put it at the same level as the rapture folks in fundamentalist Protestantism.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 12:18:34 PM »
Iran's a big country with room for a lotta different POVs.  You don't hand out every important post to those on the same wave-length as Ahmedinejad.   You balance things out, something for everybody (within obvious limits) and the clerics are smart enough to have figured things out.  This way, Ahmedinejad people are happy and Rafsanjani people are happy, even though neither bunch got everything they wanted.  That probably adds up to a lot of happy people.  I guess they never heard of Andrew Jackson and the spoils system.  Just goes to show ya how backward and primitive they are.