Author Topic: Romney video on the 47%. The real Romney revealed, at long last.  (Read 4409 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Romney video on the 47%. The real Romney revealed, at long last.
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
Romney video on the 47%. The real Romney revealed, at long last.
posted at 09/17/2012 08:52:08 PM EDT
http://news.yahoo.com/romney-assails-47-americans-twitter-users-town-201356308.html

Romney seems unaware that soldiers in a combat zone pay no income tax. The states that have the highest numbers of people who do not pay income tax reside in Southern, generally red, states.

I know this: I worked and paid into SS and Medicare and now am receiving SS. Most years I can live rather well on this, and pay no income taxes. I paid into SS for decades, I paid income taxes for decades, and I paid Medicare since 1966 and still pay $96.40 per month for Medicare.That entitles me to SS and Medicare. I do not think of myself as any sort of victim.

Romney said he did not state this "elegantly" I agree.
Is not the ability to communicate elegantly NOT something we should want in a president?

Was not Reagan lauded as the "Great Communicator" because of his speaking ability?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: Romney video on the 47%. The real Romney revealed, at long last.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »
The truth is that there are LOTS of people who pay nothing to the IRS that do NOT think of themselves as "Victims" that are, in fact entitled to the benefits they receive.

I know because I am one of them.

Rawmoney will not win because he says dumb stuff like this.

His statements are elitist and condescending.

Many kudos to Mother Jones for sending their "secret squirrel" in to expose this uncharismatic tycoon.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:23:14 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

BSB/Hero/Genius/MovieStar

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »
The hilarious thing is that the Republican party is largely made up of southern male high school graduates, no college, with low incomes, paying little to nothing in taxes. Another member of the low to no taxes group are the thousands of veterans disabled in the insane, and pointless, second Iraq war.   

Romney is just up to his usual kaki chinos, button-down shirt, completely out of touch, country club, bullshit. 

BSB - Buddhism, the compassionate spirituality for thinking people.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
Lumpenproletarians of the world unite behind the smug tycoon! You have nothing to lose but your own self-respect!

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »

Government wants more people on food stamps

By Tami Luhby @CNNMoney - June 25, 2012

The federal government is running radio ads to boost enrollment in food stamps

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- More than one in seven Americans are on food stamps, but the federal government wants even more people to sign up for the safety net program.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has been running radio ads for the past four months encouraging those eligible to enroll. The campaign is targeted at the elderly, working poor, the unemployed and Hispanics.

The department is spending between $2.5 million and $3 million on paid spots, and free public service announcements are also airing. The campaign can be heard in California, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, and the New York metro area.

"Research has shown that many people -- particularly underserved seniors, working poor, and legal immigrants -- do not understand the requirements of the program," said Kevin Concannon, a USDA under secretary.

The radio ads, which run through June 30, come amid a bitter partisan fight over the safety net program. Republican lawmakers want to reduce funding for the benefit or turn it into a block grant program, which would also minimize the cost. Democrats, however, are not willing to make major cuts.

The issue has become so heated that Newt Gingrich called President Obama the "food stamp president" to show how he's increased government spending.

Food stamp enrollment certainly shot up during the Great Recession, though it had been rising for more than a decade.

President Bush launched a recruitment campaign, which pushed average participation up by 63% during his eight years in office. The USDA began airing paid radio spots in 2004.

President Obama's stimulus act made it easier for childless, jobless adults to qualify for the program and increased the monthly benefit by about 15% through 2013.

Some 46.4 million people are in the food stamps program, also known as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP. That's just a touch below the record high hit in January.

Still, more than one in four Americans eligible for food stamps do not participate, according to USDA records.

And the rate is much lower among the the elderly and people just above the poverty line. Nearly two-thirds of folks in these categories aren't enrolled.

In one ad, an elderly woman is surprised to learn that her friend is on food stamps. The friend explains that now that she's retired and on a fixed income, the program "helps me eat right when money's tight."

"Millions of low-income seniors struggle to afford life's necessities like food and medicine," said Stacy Dean, vice president for food assistance policy at the left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. "Enrolling in SNAP can help ease that struggle."

Deficit hawks, however, don't want to see the government spend more money on food stamps at a time when lawmakers are trying to reduce the size of the federal government. The deficit for fiscal 2012 is projected to top $1 trillion for the fourth year in a row.

In fiscal 2011, the federal government spent more than $75 billion on food stamps, up from $34.6 billion at the end of fiscal 2008, according to the USDA.

"We ought to be looking for ways to save money in the program, not to encourage more people to use it," said Chris Edwards, an economist with the Cato Institute, a libertarian organization.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/25/news/economy/food-stamps-ads/index.htm

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »
I'm going to get personal.

I grew up with what most people would say was a silver spoon in my mouth. I lived on a 35 acre estate with a driveway that was 1/2 mile long and wound through the woods. It was very private. The area was less than 15 miles from Boston. In today's money that property is worth around $20,000,000. I was given every advantage, as were my siblings. We ate the best food. We lived in abundant comfort. We traveled as a family abroad. We went to private schools. We were sent to the best camps that gave us tremendous experiences from packing up into the Rockies on horseback to canoeing the wilds of Canada.  All of us grew up driven. We all worked hard. We all knew that benefits like these are costly. You don't prompt people to succeed by starving them, giving them a poor education, giving them poor medical care. All you do is take from them all incentive to progress.

Wake up far right Republicans. You're living in a bitter little dream world.

BSB   
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:58:23 PM by BSB/Hero/Genius/MovieStar »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
So for half of us , the farest share is zero percent??

How are we supposed to consider this sustainable?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
I'm going to get personal.

I grew up with what most people would say was a silver spoon in my mouth.....................

BSB

We proles forgive you .

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »
Only half of the 47% don't pay taxes due to little or no income. The other half get tax credits. Many of those credits were given by Ronald Reagan.

Thanks for forgiving me Plane, but the question is do I forgive you southern rednecks for screwing up this great country for soooooooooooooo long. The answer, no I don't.

BSB

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »
You don't prompt people to succeed by starving them

fantasy land
starving?....ha ha ha
yeah millions of immigrants pouring in to a near starving nation!
as if there were tons of people starving in the US in the 1950 and 1960's
before Gvt and welfare pimps were able to create a class of dependents
so they could comntinue to get elected by people wanting so called "free" goodies.

giving them a poor education

Test scores were better before teachers became part of a vast robbery scheme that is todays teachers unions.
It's a disgrace that as the gvt spent more money that test scores have nosedived.
Test scores were better BEFORE the Dept of Education was created!

giving them poor medical care

Many of the countries that millions of immigrants come from have "free" medical care.
But they risk life and limb to get where there isn't so called "free healthcare"
Most people can and should pay for their own healthcare.
Gvt healthcare rationing a/k.a. ObamaCare is poor medical care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 11:02:19 PM »
Only half of the 47% don't pay taxes due to little or no income. The other half get tax credits. Many of those credits were given by Ronald Reagan.

Thanks for forgiving me Plane, but the question is do I forgive you southern rednecks for screwing up this great country for soooooooooooooo long. The answer, no I don't.

BSB

So you favor Northern seccession?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 01:20:21 AM »
Test scores were better BEFORE the Dept of Education was created!

====================================================
This is bogus: they did not even give the same tests.
Before the Dept of Education, most Blacks never made it past the 6th grade. There were no schools that taught beyond that grade in a lot of the rural South.

And of course, Blacks and poor rural Whites were not tested at all.