Author Topic: Another Republican that doesn't get it  (Read 17029 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another Republican that doesn't get it
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:58:48 PM »
(I'm on record as having been against his being made Majority leader, when he was 1st being considered.  I wonder if the GOP has learned their lesson yet?)

Leave Boehner Behind
By Philip Klein
Published 11/10/2006

In the run-up to this year's elections, many prominent conservatives argued that a Republican defeat could have a silver lining by forcing the party to recommit itself to small government principles. John Boehner is not that silver lining.

Should Republicans elect current Majority Leader Boehner as their minority leader next week, it will be a clear signal that they have learned nothing from their electoral defeat and will remain the party of big government.

In a statement announcing his intention to run for the leadership post, Boehner cited his close involvement with the drafting of 1994's "Contract With America" as well as his work toward achieving earmark reform this year to demonstrate his fiscal conservative bona fides. But no two laws better represent the modern brand of big government Republicanism than the Medicare prescription drug law and the No Child Left Behind Act. Any congressman who voted for either legislation should not be taken seriously as a proponent of limited government, and yet Boehner voted for both of them.

Not only did Boehner vote for the largest federal expansion into education since the Carter administration, but he sponsored the legislation. Shortly after President Bush signed the bill with Boehner standing over one shoulder and Sen. Ted Kennedy standing over the other, Boehner said its passage was "one of the proudest accomplishments of my tenure in Congress."

No Child Left Behind is up for reauthorization next year and in his post-election press conference President Bush cited it as an issue he wanted to work together with Democrats on. If they are going to be negotiating education policy with Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Republicans can ill afford to be led by Boehner, a man who is personally invested in the legislation and who proved willing to compromise conservative principles in order to get a "bipartisan" bill passed.

The original No Child Left Behind bill included provisions for school vouchers, but Boehner was willing to abandon those provisions in desperate pursuit of Democratic votes. Boehner also ditched a push by House conservatives to allow some states to decide how to spend federal education dollars.

After the law went into effect, liberals criticized President Bush for not providing adequate funding. In response, Boehner passionately touted how much Republicans had increased education spending.

On Febuary 5, 2003, he issued a statement in response to criticism by the American Federation of Teachers, pointing out that: "If the President's FY 2003 and FY 2004 budget requests are enacted, Title I funding will have received a larger increase during the first two years of President George W. Bush's administration than under the previous seven years combined under President Bill Clinton."

In fact, funding was increasing so fast, he argued, that by January 2004, federal money was pouring into states faster than they could spend it. "We are pumping gas into a flooded engine," he declared.

As if his staunch support for expanding the federal role in education isn't bad enough, Boehner also voted in favor of the biggest expansion of entitlements since Lyndon Johnson's presidency.

"A quarter of all senior citizens find themselves without prescription drug coverage, and this legislation commits an unprecedented $400 billion over ten years to close that gap," Boehner said after voting in favor of the legislation. Actually, the bill is now projected to cost $1.2 trillion over 10 years and also add $8 trillion to the nation's long-term entitlement deficit.

In the wake of the Republican electoral "thumping," it is imperative that the party return to its small government roots. Perhaps there would be an argument for Boehner maintaining his leadership role if there weren't another viable option. But Mike Pence, who is also running for the minority leader post, has been a dedicated defender of limited government. Despite tremendous pressure from members of his own party -- and even the president -- Pence was one of a few Republicans who voted against both No Child Left Behind and the Medicare prescription drug bill. That's the type of strong conviction that will be required to rebuild the Republican Party on small government principles and to stand up to Speaker Pelosi.

Boehner, on the other hand, will virtually guarantee more of the same.

A month before the 2004 election, Boehner gloated that: "Funding for the U.S. Department of Education has increased by more than 142 percent under GOP control of the House, from $23 billion in FY 1996 to nearly $56 billion in FY 2004."

Boehner isn't the solution to the problem. Boehner is the problem.

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=10615

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Another Republican that doesn't get it
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:20:09 PM »
I would think that the skill set required for minority leader should be focused more on management skills than ideology. I don't know if Boehner has those skills or if Pense has better skills but the author in my opinion is making a case based on false premises.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:37:58 PM »
I would think that the skill set required for minority leader should be focused more on management skills than ideology. I don't know if Boehner has those skills or if Pense has better skills but the author in my opinion is making a case based on false premises.

Perhaps, however I tend to support the author's notion that recognizing why the party lost it's base (& ideological focus), in this last election, is the 1st step to recovery.  Rehiring a fella that embodies why the party lost in the 1st place does a great diservice to the notion of rehabilitation of said party
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:49:07 PM »
I haven't seen any evidence that a low turnout by conservatives affected the race. I saw evidence that the Dems were just more successful in recruiting "western democrats" to run in red leaning districts. They offered a palative alternative to centrist independents.

I'm not a big fan of ideological purges, certainly not in the GOP, nor in the democrat party for that matter. I thought what the Kossacks did to Lieberman was out of line. I'm not a big fan of William Kristol at the Weekly Standard nor Klein at the American Spectator thinking they get to call the shots or define the party without doing any heavier lifting than hitting the submit button.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:58:32 PM »
The Republicans can't win with their ancient spiel about how government can't help people and should therefore give back all their taxes. This is why Rove decided to recruit the evangelicals and get them all het up about abortion and anti-gay legislation.

But the traditional Republican corruption, the very un-traditional (and unsuccessful) nation-building conquest and reorganization of Iraq spooked the evangelicals, and it looks like they stayed home during the last election.

Nearly everyone wants to receive Social security when they retire, especially because they are paying for it. But the official Republican line is that SS is doomed. If there were any majority possible for major reform of SS, it has peaked and is now deader than Hillary's heathcare plan.

In the last two years of the Juniorbush administration, we have seen the GOP peak and go into freefall. Thank God.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 12:06:25 AM »
The Republicans can't win with their ancient spiel about how government can't help people and should therefore give back all their taxes. This is why Rove decided to recruit the evangelicals and get them all het up about abortion and anti-gay legislation.

But the traditional Republican corruption, the very un-traditional (and unsuccessful) nation-building conquest and reorganization of Iraq spooked the evangelicals, and it looks like they stayed home during the last election.

Nearly everyone wants to receive Social security when they retire, especially because they are paying for it. But the official Republican line is that SS is doomed. If there were any majority possible for major reform of SS, it has peaked and is now deader than Hillary's heathcare plan.

In the last two years of the Juniorbush administration, we have seen the GOP peak and go into freefall. Thank God.

Is this one of those "it's obvious" posts Ami chides you about?

Rove recruited eveangelicals?

Social Security does not need major reform?

Please.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 01:45:48 AM »
I haven't seen any evidence that a low turnout by conservatives affected the race. I saw evidence that the Dems were just more successful in recruiting "western democrats" to run in red leaning districts. They offered a palative alternative to centrist independents.

I beg to differ.  I saw a multitude of razor close elections.   Recognizing the 24/7 mainscream attack affecting the "swing voters", and the complete lack of committment to core conservative principles affecting those folks, leads credence to how both effected the outcomes of so many races.  There were locations that had a near 4:1 Republican to Democrat voter registration, that went to the Democrat representantive running against the GOP incumbent.  If that's not conservatives making their voices heard of the discontent they had of Bush & the GOP, I don't know what is

I'm not a big fan of ideological purges, certainly not in the GOP, nor in the democrat party for that matter. I thought what the Kossacks did to Lieberman was out of line. I'm not a big fan of William Kristol at the Weekly Standard nor Klein at the American Spectator thinking they get to call the shots or define the party without doing any heavier lifting than hitting the submit button.

I'm not asking for a purge, simply recognition of what went wrong, and not to facilitate the same mistakes.  Boehner as minority leaders does precisely that, IMHO

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 01:52:24 AM »
There were locations that had a near 4:1 Republican to Democrat voter registration, that went to the Democrat representantive running against the GOP incumbent.  If that's not conservatives making their voices heard of the discontent they had of Bush & the GOP, I don't know what is

If that is the case either the conservatives voted for another party or didn't bother to vote at all. And if that is true i'm not sure they have the credentials to make demands upon a party they turned their backs upon.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 02:29:33 AM »
There were locations that had a near 4:1 Republican to Democrat voter registration, that went to the Democrat representantive running against the GOP incumbent. 

If that is the case either the conservatives voted for another party or didn't bother to vote at all. And if that is true i'm not sure they have the credentials to make demands upon a party they turned their backs upon.

Again, I beg to differ.  When you're given choices that you can't stomach, not choosing does not equate to "turning your back on the party", if said back is going in a direction it ought not.  That is the 1 thing that each individual has is the power of their vote.  The one thing Conservatives accurately criticise the left for, is their "herd mentality"  I mean, how dare blacks even look at a Republican.  Point being, it's would be hypocrtical to advocate that Conservatives simply vote Republican.....just because they're not Dems.  That's the Dems' campaign platform, simply flipped.

Bt, I'm not looking for some "hard right" shift in the GOP, ala MoveOn's approach to steering the Dems.  And I also concede that Bush didn't campaign so much as a Reagan conservative, as much as he did a "compassionate conservative".  Somewhere along the line, outside of the tax rate cuts, Bush pretty much ignored the conservative agenda, of fiscal discipline & reform, of immigration, SS, medicare, & the tax code.  And worse, was the GOP controlled House & Senate began spending like the Tip O'Neil Democrats of the 80's.  The Conservatives had not just every right, but dare I say duty, via their vote, to send the GOP a clear message.  Lining up Boenher to become the minority leader would lend me to believe that the Republicans still don't fully appreciate why they are no longer in charge in Washington

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 02:45:25 AM »
My point being that if you want to steer a party in the direction you wish, they way you do that is by supporting like minded candidates or getting directly involved in platform formulations.

I have said the same thing when the religious right makes their bi-annual threats to vote with their feet if party leadership does not kow tow to their whims.

Now both the religious right and other conservatives unhappy with the present makeup of the party are free to exercise their individual preferences and vote with their feet if they so choose. They are free to hijack the libertarian party and make it something more than a group of folks sitting at starbucks discussing political philosophy. Membership in a party is much more than who you vote for, it's volunteering for campaigns, doing outreach work, organizing, crunching data and working the phones. It's raising funds and defining issues. It's not a job that you show up for one day in November. And any significant change in the party has been driven from the inside.

i just don't see where this consumer attitude gives anyone the right to make demands.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 05:28:22 AM »
My point being that if you want to steer a party in the direction you wish, they way you do that is by supporting like minded candidates or getting directly involved in platform formulations.   i just don't see where this consumer attitude gives anyone the right to make demands.

Representative Governement.  If the folks I have been supporting stop representing me, then I exercise my right to not provide them their power platform, and look towards those that will represent me

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 09:46:49 AM »
Rove did indeed recruit evangelicals.

Social Security may need changes, but the ones that Juniorbush proposed would abolish the system and almost certainly result in older people being cut off as their numbers dwindle. The first reform SS needs is the government spending all that money as it would tax revenue and issuing IOU's. That money could be invested, after all.

If people favored Juniorbush's suggestions on SS, they sure were quiet about it. Every representative was bombarded with letters from angry citizens against his cockamamie plan, which sucked deeply and was beyond redemption.

The fact is that the ratwing lost bigtime. They are in crashandburn mode. Iraq was a major reason, but observe that Clay Shaw, a moderate Republican in Broward Co. FL also went down in smoke and flames after 16 years for supporting Juniorbush.

I celebrate their demise. I frankly hope they will expire, as the Whigs did.
A two party system would be ever so much better if neither of the two parties were Republicans.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 12:31:49 PM »
Representative Government.  If the folks I have been supporting stop representing me, then I exercise my right to not provide them their power platform, and look toward those that will represent me

I understand what Representative Government is. I also understand you have the right to choose the candidate who best represents you views.

I also assume that all things being equal you would prefer that the candidate who best represents you views would be a republican as historically they have come the closest to that goal.

My quibble is that in a representative government, once elected we should let these Representatives do their job as their conscience dictates. And part of that job is to organize the caucus for maximum effectiveness. This is an internal deliberation. And I'm not so sure voters have the right nor the duty to micromanage those affairs. That is not to say constituent input isn't welcome, it is to say i don't see where they get to demand who is chosen.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 12:42:35 PM »
My quibble is that in a representative government, once elected we should let these Representatives do their job as their conscience dictates. And part of that job is to organize the caucus for maximum effectiveness. This is an internal deliberation. And I'm not so sure voters have the right nor the duty to micromanage those affairs. That is not to say constituent input isn't welcome, it is to say i don't see where they get to demand who is chosen.

Bt, I agree about letting them do their job.  That said, once they begin acting in a way that appears to no longer represent me or my principles, as their "conscience" dictates them to do otherwise, I'm entitled, dare say obligated, not to support them any further with my vote.  I believe I can also have my voice heard via telephone calls, e-mails, and letters  This didn't all of a sudden happen.  Boehner didn't all of a sudden begin acting like a Democrat-like Republican.  My quibble is with the GOP, not you.  If the GOP places Boehner as the minority leader, I'm going to again assume that they still haven't learned their election lesson yet.  And that's a shame for the country

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 01:06:04 PM »
I'm entitled, dare say obligated, not to support them any further with my vote.  I believe I can also have my voice heard via telephone calls, e-mails, and letters 

And nowhere am i saying you should not exercise your right to choose a party and candidate that best meets your needs. And if choosing Boehner is a deal killer for you , so be it. My position is that it is the caucus's decision, made up of members across the spectrum, and not a pundit from the American Spectator nor frankly the voters. The voters spoke when they entrusted their representative with their vote. If the reps fail to live up to your expectations, then vote them out two years from now. But in the meantime let them do their job. And electing their leader is part of it.