Author Topic: can you vote issues not parties?  (Read 9667 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: can you vote issues not parties?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 02:59:41 AM »
Of course, because that's obviously what I was referring to, the notion of only banning 1 side     ::)

"And so it starts" was a deliberate strawman?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 03:09:06 AM »
No, because if you had been paying attention, the issue is with government stifling dissenting speech.  I didn't claim it's ok to stifle 1 and not the other.   It would seem you have no problem with it.  So, you must be one of those fairness doctrine supporters.  So long as both sides get stifled, that's the important part.  Who'd a thunk it
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 03:17:08 AM »
No, because if you had been paying attention, the issue is with government stifling dissenting speech.  I didn't claim it's ok to stifle 1 and not the other.   It would seem you have no problem with it.  So, you must be one of those fairness doctrine supporters.  So long as both sides get stifled, that's the important part.  Who'd a thunk it

Coldwaters law is the opposite of the fairness doctrine. There is no mention of whether they banned rallies in the park or speeches, they just banned signs, all signs.
Not sure how you get the notion that this is some slippery slope against certain types of speech.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 03:24:23 AM »
Not at all....it's the "banning of all sides' signs"  Fairness doctrine is the banning of any side that doesn't have an pre-approved other side, effecting "all sides".  Same concept.  Which is why I also referenced "so it starts" since its not about banning speech all together.  surprised you missed that

As I said, I didn't realize you were such a supporter of Government stifling speech, so long as its all speech.  No problem there, right?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 03:29:29 AM »
Not at all....it's the "banning of all sides' signs"  Fairness doctrine is the banning of any side that doesn't have an pre-approved other side, effecting "all sides".  Same concept

As I said, I didn't realize you were such a supporter of Government stifling speech, so long as its all speech.  No problem there, right?

I think a local government can set whatever rules they like in public spaces. As long as it is fair and does not target on ideology over another.

Thought you conservative types where all about home rule.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 03:38:52 AM »
Not at all....it's the "banning of all sides' signs"  Fairness doctrine is the banning of any side that doesn't have an pre-approved other side, effecting "all sides".  Same concept

I think a local government can set whatever rules they like in public spaces. As long as it is fair and does not target on ideology over another.

As I said......and so it starts

Naaa, just the Constitution

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 03:45:49 AM »

As I said......and so it starts

Naaa, just the Constitution

Then make your case that the Coldwater law is unconstitutional.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 03:57:28 AM »
Must have missed the part "so it starts".  It's the banning of political signs that are deemed "controversial", "too political".  Since when did the 1st amendment differentiate between politically appropriate vs too political??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 04:31:43 AM »
Must have missed the part "so it starts".  It's the banning of political signs that are deemed "controversial", "too political".  Since when did the 1st amendment differentiate between politically appropriate vs too political??

So are you now claiming that their law is not unconstitutional?
And as far as i can tell a ban on all signs has nothing to do with political speech.

So perhaps your "now it starts" was premature.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 04:46:42 AM »

So are you now claiming that their law is not unconstitutional?

I guess we'll have to wait to see on that one, as I'm no lawyer, nor did I claim it as unconstitutional.  Merely "a start" in that direction

And as far as i can tell a ban on all signs has nothing to do with political speech.

Then you're purposely not paying attention or merely wish to be argumentative with me.  Being that this was brought about by a political rally, by tea party advocates, the notion that this ban has noting to do with "political speech" is not only premature on your part, but simply wrong.  The fact the ban can address any form of speech is besides the point, as it was designed to deal with political speech

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 05:34:56 AM »
The law banned all signs. It did nothing to stifle political speech.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 09:52:58 AM »
Did Boehner win or lose this last budget conference?

BT....I guess it all depends how "win" is defined.
Sure Boehner got more cuts than the Taxocrats wanted to give...
But big picture....isnt this so called "budget battle" a real farce?
I think in the end the budget negotiation led to a cut in the
size of the federal government by a hardly whopping 1%?
It's a joke!
A huge scam by elected officials that know they benefit from
the perception that they're doing their jobs.
This country is in deep trouble!
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »
We normally vote for candidates who are usually identified as belonging to one party or another.

Occasionally, we can vote for issues: bond referenda, recalls, etc.

The candidates may assume that by voting for them, we are voting for their proposals, but this is not always the case.

In elections for judges, we know almost nothing: vote for Pineda, Smith or Chong.

In this case, the better informed voters may pick those identified as better qualified by a bar association endorsement, which may or may not be what they would agree with.

The surnames can be deceptive. There are a lot of Cubans named Smith. Some names can be confusing, like Shapiro, which looks Italian, but is Jewish as a rule. The actual ethnicity of some names can confuse anyone: Green or Lee.

We are in a time when we could have direct democracy and have the voters vote directly on every issue via phone or computer. I do not know whether this would be better or worse, but it surely would be different.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 02:04:50 PM »

Then you're being purposely not paying attention and/or just being argumentative

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »

Then you're being purposely not paying attention and/or just being argumentative

Either that or you have not made your case.