Author Topic: Don't You Dare Ask for Proof!  (Read 1369 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Don't You Dare Ask for Proof!
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:37:54 PM »
First appeared in print in The Rhinoceros Times, Greensboro, NC
By Orson Scott Card
April 29, 2007

In last Sunday's News and Record, columnist Andrew Brod heaped ridicule on those who dare to contest the religion of global warming. What is his proof?

He doesn't think he needs any. In fact, he's against proof. He likes it when governments make massive changes without any evidence that those changes are necessary.

He spends his whole column citing political documents like the reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- which is known to have doctored its reports to conform with ideology, deliberately ignoring the statements of its own scientists that weren't in line with the desire warnings.

He mentions "migrating maple trees" and "stranded polar bears," though completely outside the scientific context that these things happen regardless of whether humans have anything to do with climate change -- they are irrelevant to that question.

He thinks that the news that only 19 percent of Americans believe that humans bear no responsibility for climate change is somehow proof of his claims, while the fact that the number of Republicans in Congress who share that view is increasing is merely proof that Republicans are idiots.

Let's think about that: Brod thinks that ordinary citizens, who only know what they're told by the media, can be trusted to know what they're talking about. While Republican congresspeople, who have access to the reports of all the scientific experts, with large staffs that can research these matters for them, are obviously wrong.

Brod mentions in passing that "The news media pay less attention to global-warming skeptics than before." Yet he seems not to make the logical inference that maybe this is why only 19 percent of Americans believe that humans have no particular influence on global climate -- they haven't been told about the evidence.

Maybe if the media were reporting accurately on the state of the pertinent scientific research, those poll numbers would change.

Brod is one of those who claim that whether global climate change is really caused by human activities, and whether or not it's really harmful, we ought to make massive changes in our public policies in order to try to prevent it.

I notice he doesn't mention the consensus, even among true believers in anthropogenic climate change, that none of the proposals for preventing global warming are likely to accomplish anything in any reasonable amount of time.

Instead, he says, "According to a recent study by the British government, which recommended an array of taxes and emission controls, the costs may be moderate, on the order of 1 percent of global income per year."

He then makes the statistically idiotic extrapolation that this exact percentage would apply to American households -- only a few hundred bucks a year.

But "global income" costs would not be evenly divided because the changes would only take place in high-energy-use countries. So Americans would bear a far higher percentage of the costs. In the thousands, not the hundreds, of dollars per household.

Brod is deliberately misleading you when he tells you those statistics mean it would only cost Americans a few hundred dollars per household, and he knows it.

How many thousands do you want to spend this year on preventing global warming? And after you find out that there's no proof that humans even cause it, or that it's even a bad thing, how many thousands do you want to spend "just in case"?

Two thousand? Surely you can afford two thousand. What about five thousand?

You're not writing your check. I guess you're not such a true believer after all.

Brod also ignores the fact that the British government report was issued in support of policy changes that are, by any rational standard, pathetic. The changes they are making are ludicrously inadequate to change the levels of greenhouse gases to any significant degree. Given that the results will be near zero, any costs, however divided, might seem exorbitant.

Brod likens this to insurance, but it is not. Insurance is designed to pay you money after a loss. It does not prevent a loss. The valid comparison is to protection money: Somebody comes to you and demands you pay money "or you might have a fire." You pay the money so that they won't burn you out of business.

That's what the global-warming protection racket is about: Hey, we can't prove anything is actually happening, but look how many people we've got to agree with us! You'd better make a whole bunch of sacrifices which, by coincidence, exactly coincide with the political agenda of the anti-Western anti-industrial religion of ecodeism -- or global warming will get you!

Brod actually admits precisely what he's doing, when he says: "Fortunately, people finally seem to understand the fallacy of requiring proof."

Think about that. He calls it a fallacy to require proof.

Science is worthless without good, solid, reliable evidence. It isn't even science.

And as you look through Brod's entire essay, he offers not one shred of proof about anything. He only offers politics as usual -- my team has more votes!

But his team has no facts. If his team had facts, he would use them. They don't, so he can't.

I wonder if Brod, in his job as director of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro's Office of Business and Economic Research, he has that same attitude toward proof -- that it's a fallacy to require it.

If so, what value does his "business and economic research" have? Why would anyone who thinks that requiring proof is a fallacy be hired to do his job? Of course he can't say with certainty what will happen, but my bet is that he makes darn sure he provides plenty of proof that his projections of the future are based on solid evidence about the past.

That is precisely what is missing in the claims about global warming.

But Brod thinks it's a good thing that the media aren't telling you about global-warming skeptics.

How far does this go? What else does he think the media shouldn't be telling us about?

I think back to another time when the media -- this time in England -- were committed to concealing facts from their readers and listeners. It was back in 1937, 1938, and 1939.

When Chamberlain and the appeasers in the British government were selling out Austria and then Czechoslovakia, most newspapers declined to tell their readers about the Jews who were murdered in Austria after the Nazis took over; they didn't bother to tell them anything that might cause them to doubt Neville Chamberlain's program of appeasing the dictators.

The media also didn't think it was worth reporting how badly armed the British military was, or how heavily the Germans were rearming. After all, that might promote "alarmism" or pro-war fervor, and "everybody" knew that Chamberlain's appeasement program was going to bring peace.

The poll statistics were just as good as the ones Brod is citing. Huge majorities of the public "believed" in appeasement just as huge majorities believe (to some degree) in anthropogenic global warming. But what they believed and what was true were, just like today, very far apart -- precisely because the media concealed the truth.

As a result, when Chamberlain came back from Munich brandishing "peace in our time," the British public loved him.

Seven years later, with six million Jews and six million other death- and slave-camp victims gone and eastern Europe doomed to be enslaved by Communist governments imposed by the conquering Russians, not to mention many cities in England in ruins and many thousands of soldiers and civilians dead, it would have been hard to find anybody who appreciated the British media's having kept the truth from them about those lonely "appeasement skeptics."

Isn't it funny how the public has a "right to know" -- except when the media decides not to tell them?

So you don't hear much about science that gets politically incorrect results. You don't hear much about global warming skeptics -- or the fact that within the scientific disciplines actually involved in long-term global climate research there is a broad consensus growing -- against significant human causes of global warming.

But Brod approves of the public being deliberately misinformed. He doesn't want us to look for proof. He wants us to simply do what we're told and think as we're told. He says "at least the debate is moving in the right direction" precisely because he thinks there is no debate at all! That's the right direction!

"Instead of pointless arguments about whether we have proof of global warming, we've started arguing about the costs and benefits of particular policies." But this is also false, and he knows it.

He does not want to discuss the costs -- he merely dismisses them or denies them or misuses shaky statistics to trivialize them. He does not want to discuss the benefits, because there are almost none and he doesn't want us to know that.

He concludes with this outrageous statement: "I concluded my 1995 column by saying that it wasn't to late to 'buy insurance' against the future costs of global warming. It's still not too late. But it will be soon."

Think about those claims: "It's still not too late" and "It will be soon." You will search his essay in vain for the slightest shred of evidence that it is not too late or that it will be soon.

In the real world, where people still like to have proof before they make drastic policy changes, the experts who believe in anthropogenic global warming generally agree that none of the proposed "solutions" will make any difference.

Meanwhile, the interesting science -- i.e., the science that actually works as an explanation -- is overwhelmingly heliogenic: The sun is directly and solely responsible for the overall patterns of warming and cooling that have dominated Earth, during and between ice ages, for millions of years.

No wonder Brod doesn't want us "requiring proof." He wants you barefoot and ignorant, folks. So does the rest of his team.

Me, I prefer to listen to people who insist on proof, who are eager to show me their proof, and eager to have me examine and question their proofs. That's how the global warming skeptics act. That's also how real scientists act.

Brod is crying wolf. He knows it, he admits it, yet he still expects us to believe him and run off in pursuit of the imaginary danger.

Meanwhile, there really are human-caused problems that must be dealt with, and very soon, too. Global warming isn't one of them, but our oil supply definitely is. I'll be back to that topic next week.

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Don't You Dare Ask for Proof!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 04:07:33 PM »
<<How many thousands do you want to spend this year on preventing global warming? And after you find out that there's no proof that humans even cause it, or that it's even a bad thing, how many thousands do you want to spend "just in case"?>>

load of hysterical crap.  What does he mean "After you find out that there's no proof . . . ?"  The overwhelming likelihood at this point, even if no one knows for sure, is that there WILL be proof.  That there is already proof.

From everything I read, the majority of scientists who deal with this topic say that humans cause climate change, and others deny it.  Given that there will always be a "rump" of contrarians who continue to deny mainstream scientific opionion, if we wait for unanimity before acting on the recommendations of the majority, we're likely gonna be fucked.  If we act on the majority voice now, we're gonna make some sacrifices, hopefully reduce some of the pollution and even if the minority view turns out to have been the correct one, we still won't be in the position of having fucked over our planet by by inaction.

Well, personally, I'd rather make some useless sacrifices to clean up some small amount of pollution than not make the sacrifices and find out that our planet has become FUBAR.   As would any sane and normal individual.

How Neville Chamberlain gets dragged into this as an analogy is proof positive of the wacko desperation of this guy defending the Republicans' defense of Big Business's right to pollute anyone anywhere anytime but I really think the problem can be addressed on its own terms without resorting to analogies from the politics of the 1930s.  The environmentalists aren't Hitler, and respecting what they have to say about the planet is not appeasement.

Personally, I think it would be obvious from the population explosion alone and the urbanization that I can see with my own eyes wherever I go in North America or Europe, let alone the Far East, and the abundance of cheap manufactured goods everywhere that the planet has to be more polluted than at any time in its history, barring single disasters such as meteor strikes and giant eruptions, and that the pollution is human-caused.  At the same time, it's obvious to be that our winters are getting warmer and warmer and our summers hotter.  Coincidence?  Not likely when a majority of the scientists whose business it is to know about these things say it's NOT a coincidence.  But what if they're wrong?  So we've made some sacrifices, BFD, it's not the end of the world.  And what if they're right and we don't pay attention?  Then it IS a BFD and it IS the end of the world.  The choice is a no-brainer to anyone but a Republican, and if Republicans had brains, it'd be a no-brainer for them too.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:09:54 PM »
A covey of quail, a rump of contrarians.....;0)

No, I have nothing useful to add, why do you ask?
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:38:45 PM »
The choice is a no-brainer to anyone but a Republican, and if Republicans had brains, it'd be a no-brainer for them too.

Real shame for your argument that the author is not a Republican, but a Democrat.

Of course, going back to the original author's point, you bring no evidence, either.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 04:55:06 PM »
<<Real shame for your argument that the author is not a Republican, but a Democrat.>>

THAT sucks.  Course it had nothing to do with my argument, it was just a gratuitous aside that I even mentioned Republicans in this one.  Wouldn't ya know there's the odd Democrat who also hates the planet.

I never heard of this guy before so I googled him.  Amazing guy.  I should look at some of his stuff, maybe buy some for the grand-children when they get older.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »
I would be willing to sacrifice something to reduce the pace of global warming .

But under these conditions.

The sacrifice should not amount to death , dishonor , debilitation or severe privation .

The sacrifice would be volentary , especially if severe.

The effect of the sacrifice would be measureable  , and in purportion to the measureable positive effect.

Koyto fails on all points that matter , even the signatories that were given modest goals, are failing to meet the goals set .

Dropping out of Koyto was a good idea , starting over and shooting for effect is a good idea too.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »
I never heard of this guy before so I googled him.  Amazing guy.  I should look at some of his stuff, maybe buy some for the grand-children when they get older.

He's one of the best sci-fi authors around.

I recommend Folk of the Fringe, his Ender series, and his latest book Empire. I hear they're working on a movie of Ender's Game.

He also has a collection of short stories that has one of the best revenge plots for Road Rage drivers that I heard of. And it works well, too.