Author Topic: Guard Who Shot Colorado Gunman: God Helped Me  (Read 1053 times)

Richpo64

Guard Who Shot Colorado Gunman: God Helped Me
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:46:11 PM »
Guard Who Shot Colorado Gunman: God Helped Me
Tuesday , December 11, 2007

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. ?

Jeanne Assam is hailed for saving countless lives in shooting a gunman outside her church, but the volunteer security guard insisted that her steady hand was a matter of divine guidance.

The 42-year-old former police officer was part of a small team of church members pulling guard duty Sunday at the New Life Church when 24-year-old Matthew Murray opened fire outside the building.

Weak from a three-day religious fast, Assam said Monday that she shut out the frightening gunshots outside and focused on Murray as he walked down a church hallway. When Murray came in with an assault rifle, she shot him several times with her gun.

"It seemed like it was me, the gunman and God," said Assam, whose hands trembled a little as she recounted the shooting during a news conference Monday.

Murray is believed to have killed two people after a midday ceremony at the megachurch and two other people 12 hours earlier at a missionary training school in the Denver suburb of Arvada.

Police said a weapon found at the church was forensically linked to shell casings left behind at the missionary school. Even though Assam shot Murray, investigators said he may have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Before the shooting at her church, Assam said, she felt chills when reading that the gunman from the missionary school shooting hadn't been captured.

When the gunman entered New Life Church, she said, she took cover and drew spiritual and physical strength from her religious faith. As church members ran away, Assam said, she had no intention of fleeing.

"I was given the assignment to end this before it got too much worse," she said. "I just prayed for the Holy Spirit to guide me. I said, 'Holy Spirit, be with me.' My hands weren't even shaking."

Assam, who now works for a ministry, declined to provide details of her prior work in law enforcement, saying only that she had pulled her gun several times in the course of her job but never had to fire at anyone.

Minneapolis police Sgt. Jesse Garcia said Assam is a former police officer who worked in Minneapolis during the 1990s. Garcia said Monday night that he didn't know the exact dates of her employment with the force and couldn't comment on why she left.

Dressed in blue jeans and boots, the petite Assam (pronounced ah-som) was greeted with applause at the news conference. When asked about her marital status, Assam said she was single ? and then cracked a smile.

"I am not married yet. I will someday. God's going to find me the perfect man," she said.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Guard Who Shot Colorado Gunman: God Helped Me
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 05:50:31 PM »

"I am not married yet. I will someday. God's going to find me the perfect man," she said.

I am Married already, any other perfect guys here?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:56:07 PM »
Notice the main component of this story that's not being reported?..........that she used a gun to stop the crime.  Do you hear that highlghted at all?  Nope, you hear she was a woman, you hear that "God helped", but we don't hear how the gun actually helped the most, over that of her gender or religion. 

I wonder why's that?      :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 05:57:55 PM »
Notice the main component of this story that's not being reported?..........that she used a gun to stop the crime.  Do you hear that highlghted at all?  Nope, you hear she was a woman, you hear that "God helped", but we don't hear how the gun actually helped the most, over that of her gender or religion. 

I wonder why's that?      :-\

Too odbvious.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:02:52 PM »
But her gender's more important to report?  Women aren't tough enough to handle such stressful situations?  Is that the less obvious answer?     ???
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:27:52 PM »
Sirs,
No, it's just more surprising.  Even these days, still, a woman cop is news because there are still less of them than male cops.
  I mean, you expect an armed shooter to be shot down.  With a gun. So that isn't the part that's newsworthy. Her gender is something to highlight.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:31:37 PM »
No, it's just more surprising.  Even these days, still, a woman cop is news because there are still less of them than male cops.
  I mean, you expect an armed shooter to be shot down.  With a gun. So that isn't the part that's newsworthy. Her gender is something to highlight.

Wonder when they're gonna get around to bashing her because she got fired from the Minneapolis PD for lying about her encounter with an MTA officer.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 11:42:45 PM »
Wonder when they're gonna get around to bashing her because she got fired from the Minneapolis PD for lying about her encounter with an MTA officer.

Or that the kid killed himself with the shotgun.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Cynthia

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 01:12:43 AM »
The "issue" is that this woman has a belief in God....ooooh and that's so wrong!?
I suppose the devil helped the shooter...but who is ranting about that?

THe other issue is that this woman is a woman who believes in a God.

The further issue is that people tend to take issue with women/God/power/ all in one church.

Shame.......talk about picking one's battles?
Men still rule the ugly world.
Women will always rule the real world. Period.
God still supports a person who is quick to kill with or  without a gun.
D'oh.