Author Topic: Plan B in the GWOT: Gut feelings  (Read 1458 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Plan B in the GWOT: Gut feelings
« on: July 11, 2007, 07:09:28 PM »
Chairman Thompson Responds to Chertoff?s ?Gut Feeling?
July 11th, 2007 by Jesse Lee

Yesterday Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff was reported to have made the following remarks:

Homeland Security chief warns of ?increased risk?
E.A. Torriero, Chicago Tribune - July 11, 2007

Chertoff bases ?gut feeling? on history, Al Qaeda statements

Fearing complacency among the American people over possible terror threats, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said in Chicago Tuesday that the nation faces a heightened chance of an attack this summer.

?I believe we are entering a period this summer of increased risk,? Chertoff told the Chicago Tribune?s editorial board in an unusually blunt and frank assessment of America?s terror threat level.

?Summertime seems to be appealing to them,? he said of al-Qaeda. ?We do worry that they are rebuilding their activities.?

Still, Chertoff said there are not enough indications of an imminent plot to raise the current threat levels nationwide. And he indicated that his remarks were based on ?a gut feeling? formed by past seasonal patterns of terrorist attacks, recent al-Qaeda statements, and intelligence he did not disclose.

Today, Committee on Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie G. Thompson sent the following letter to Chertoff demanding an explanation of the Secretary?s remarks:

July 11, 2007

Dear Secretary Chertoff:

Over the past five years, tens of billions of taxpayer dollars have been dedicated to standing up and building capacity at the Department of Homeland Security. The Department of Homeland Security is charged with deterring, preventing and responding to the threat of terrorism. To that end, systems have been erected to identify risks and communicate them to the American public. With all the resources you have at your disposal and all the progress that you assure us that you are making, I cannot understand why you are quoted in the Chicago Tribune as saying you have a ?gut feeling? that we are entering a period of heightened risk this summer.

Words have power, Mr. Secretary. You must choose them wisely?especially when they relate to the lives and security of the American public. What color code in the Homeland Security Advisory System is associated with a ?gut feeling?? What sectors should be on alert as a result of your ?gut feeling?? What cities should be asking their law enforcement to work double shifts because of your ?gut feeling?? Are the American people supposed to purchase duct tape and plastic sheeting because of your ?gut feeling??

The Committee on Homeland Security has repeatedly emphasized the importance of getting specific, actionable information to our first preventers in law enforcement and other emergency response providers. I urge you to follow up on your ?gut feeling? and share whatever information our nation?s first preventers need to be on alert and prepared. Otherwise, we run the risk of communities taking it upon themselves to mobilize for every possible threat. This not only would result in communities depleting their scarce homeland security resources but runs contrary to your efforts to move toward a risk-based approach to homeland security.

This fall, we will be marking the sixth anniversary of the most deadly terrorist attack on U.S. soil. With likely action on legislation to implement the unfinished business of the 9/11 Commission, Congress is poised to give you more and better opportunities to work with law enforcement in a constructive manner.

Mr. Secretary, I urge you to clarify your comments by providing concrete direction to the State, local and tribal stakeholders and if necessary make the required changes to the Nation?s threat level to ensure that the American public can take the necessary steps to protect their families, businesses and communities.

I would be happy to convene a classified briefing of our Members to discuss the threat to our nation if you believe that such a briefing is warranted.

Sincerely,

Bennie G. Thompson

Chairman, Committee on Homeland Security
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Plan B in the GWOT: Gut feelings
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 07:25:19 PM »
These folks have sold so much bs to the American public and gotten away with it for so long, that they are getting careless to the point where they feel they can sell them anything.  The "gut feeling" was hilarious.  So was the "summertime."  It's summertime, and the terrorists are wearing their sandals without their wool socks.  Anything can happen.  Anything WILL happen.  Those summer moons just DO something to a jihadi's head, and when it does, the results are lethal.  I'll be summering in my mountain bunker.  You?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 09:53:46 AM »
Mountain bunker, hah!  All I ever needed in the 50s and 60s was a wooden desk to duck and cover under during practice sessions.
That and presidents who weren't morons.

'Summertime....and the threat level's orange
But my gut, my gut says it's red...'

Did you hear that the Cheney had his residence pixillated on Google Earth? So you can't really see it.
The White House is still there but old Shooter's  place is sort of obscured. 

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:46:20 AM »
Did you hear that the Cheney had his residence pixillated on Google Earth? So you can't really see it.
The White House is still there but old Shooter's  place is sort of obscured. 

That's because he lives on a Naval facility. All US military bases are obscured on Google Earth. Or they used to be anyway, haven't played with Google Earth in a couple of years.

Not that disclosing the full truth is all that important, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:57:27 AM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:55:17 AM »
All US military bases are obscured on Google Earth.

Not that I've noticed. Last time I looked, I could tour NAS Jacksonville, Mayport NS, even Fort Meade MD and my old NSA/USAINSCOM haunts, none of which were pixilated. Lessee, also looked at Andrews AFB, Fort Leonard Wood MO, the old TUSLOG Det 4 in Sinop, Turkey, and several others.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 12:18:24 PM »
All US military bases are obscured on Google Earth.

Not that I've noticed. Last time I looked, I could tour NAS Jacksonville, Mayport NS, even Fort Meade MD and my old NSA/USAINSCOM haunts, none of which were pixilated. Lessee, also looked at Andrews AFB, Fort Leonard Wood MO, the old TUSLOG Det 4 in Sinop, Turkey, and several others.

At one point, I noticed that all military bases were pixilated. Heck, even the Library of Congress was pixilated - not Congress itself, just the Library. All of the Suitland Federal Center as well, not just the Naval Intelligence facility.

As I said, I haven't played around with it in well over a year.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 12:32:24 PM »
There is a purpose of the "War of Terrorism", just as there was a purpose for sustaining the Cold War for 50 years. When people feel threatened, they seek a secure feeling: when they seek security, they go shopping. Shopping is good. It transfers money from the consumers to those who sell to them.

The "War on Drugs" was tried, but did not work out well, because some drugs make people forget their worries, and it is much harder to   focus on a drug kingpin villain as a it is to vilify a rag headed bearded unkempt creepy lookin' A-rab. It was hard to use the Army to combat drugs: spraying paraquat and blowing up the occasional lab in the jungle is unheroic and requires very few new, expensive gizmos.

It cost a fortune to set up the Homeland Security apparatus and to annoy us every time we want to fly somewhere, to trash our hair gels, nail clippers, Bic lighters and suntan lotions. It bugs people. So we need this Head Home Security Clown to remind us that he is protecting us from unseen enemies so we shut up, accept the annoyance and continue to feel afraid.

The advertising dudes are in almost total control of the election process. If you don't recognize that they are in control of issues like Home Security, you are not thinking clearly.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
Good post, XO.  But I don't have a problem with airport security.  People DO try to knock down planes from the sky and I DO fly in and out of La Guardia a fair bit.  With the missus.  As do my daughter and her family. 

What rankles my ass is that the Bush administration completely misrepresents WHY there are so many folks out there who want to knock my plane out of the sky.  It's payback for a totally immoral and illegal foreign policy that leaves its victims no choice but violent retaliation.  In terms of innocent lives lost, THEY have suffered incomparably more than we.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 05:12:41 PM »
Good post, XO.  But I don't have a problem with airport security.  People DO try to knock down planes from the sky and I DO fly in and out of La Guardia a fair bit.  With the missus.  As do my daughter and her family. 

What rankles my ass is that the Bush administration completely misrepresents WHY there are so many folks out there who want to knock my plane out of the sky.  It's payback for a totally immoral and illegal foreign policy that leaves its victims no choice but violent retaliation.  In terms of innocent lives lost, THEY have suffered incomparably more than we.

Perhaps you should change your foreign policy .

gipper

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 05:46:48 PM »
Silly me, I often take my news straight, only seasoned with the proper amount of salt. Here, I take it as neither reckless nor politically motivated (until evidence proves otherwise) that Sec. Chertof, one of the primary officials charged with doing these things, has developed an ineffable feeling, from trends, hard data, and virtually indiscernible matters such as the pregnant colloquialism, a sixth sense, from items learned but forgotten, matters experienced through the other five senses or matters patched together in the dreamwork of a trained man's mind. Well, I could go on, but suffice it to say it means something to me. But weakened and ridiculed, all this administration can manage to put forth, perceptually, are a series of clowns, all angling for the center ring.

gipper

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 05:55:07 PM »
One of the grains of salt: an attack now (this summer) may be self-defeating for al Qaeda as we (the US) seem to be poised for withdrawal from Iraq, which would be a victory for them in the short run, and an attack here would rachet up an anger here that could bleed into the politics of Iraq policy.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 11:11:45 PM »
One of the grains of salt: an attack now (this summer) may be self-defeating for al Qaeda as we (the US) seem to be poised for withdrawal from Iraq, which would be a victory for them in the short run, and an attack here would rachet up an anger here that could bleed into the politics of Iraq policy.

And if it does happen you can rest assured some quarters will Blame Bush. Even accuse him of doing it. or knowing about it. or ignoring Chertoff's warning.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 11:39:46 PM »
<<And if it does happen you can rest assured some quarters will Blame Bush. Even accuse him of doing it. or knowing about it. or ignoring Chertoff's warning.>>

Huh, that's just CRAZY.  Everyone knows it's Clinton's fault.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 11:46:41 PM »

Going retro on us?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 11:48:29 PM »
<<And if it does happen you can rest assured some quarters will Blame Bush. Even accuse him of doing it. or knowing about it. or ignoring Chertoff's warning.>>

Since when?    ???
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle