Author Topic: another win for NIMBY  (Read 652 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
another win for NIMBY
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/11/BA781O1F0I.DTL&tsp=1

It took 25 years but they finally got rid of the evil empire and his big pile of cash that he uses to restore the land keep everything yucky pretty.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: another win for NIMBY
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
I am betting that whatever eventually is built instead will be uglier than what Lucas had in mind.
But it will take a while for anything to happen, I imagine.

Was this place yucky before Lucas bought it?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »
most likely not,but george has a record of improving nieghboring lands he owns and money WAS slated on a project that included on a cutting-edge stream restoration and was going to pay for a county-wide climate action plan.

don,t  forget this very public withdrawl might effect future projects for marin.

if NIMBY`s start causing this kind of trouble often.I wonder if city`s will start invoking eminent domain on such folks?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »
if NIMBY`s start causing this kind of trouble often.I wonder if city`s will start invoking eminent domain on such folks?
=======================================
You mean, will the city force them to sell their land so that guys like Lucas can build some project?
I find that doubtful.

It would need to be in the city's jurisdiction. The city would have to prove that the land they seized was actually needed for the project. This does not sound like the case here.

Is it an improvement to turn a pasture into a huge building?

If the building is the Taj Mahal, perhaps.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:23 AM »
Not force, but simply take and pay for it without consent

the vague case I`m bringing is eminent domain is use for removing property that prevent construction of city project and NIMBY`might qualify for such definition.

from wiki
The property is taken either for government use or by delegation to third parties who will devote it to public or civic use or, in some cases, economic development.

the economic development part would be the cause.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:37:22 AM by kimba1 »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »
This is beyond unlikely, I would say. There is hardly a pressing need to bring employment to Marin County. It is one of the richest in the country.

It is a forced sale if the government takes the land and pays what it thinks it is worth, without the consent of the owner. This seldom happens in order to foment commercial development.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 09:51:44 AM »
Maybe not since the local government seems to want more jobs in marin.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »
All local governments want more jobs. More jobs means more taxpayers.

They get the jobs and the services the new people need are the problem of the next administrators.

The first thing is they make an offer to the owners of the land. If they refuse, they negotiate. Only when negotiations cannot reach a compromise do they impose eminent domain, which would cost the taxpayers a lot of money to get it through the courts. People mostly do not mind when eminent domain is for schools and highways that take up relatively little space and all can benefit from. When it is done to benefit some corporation that may or may not provide the jobs it promises, people are much less likely to agree with their local governments and more likely to vote them out.

That New London deal in Connecticut turned out to be a boondoggle that served very few people, other than lawyers.