Author Topic: 9-11 Memories  (Read 457 times)

Cynthia

9-11 Memories
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:47:09 PM »
My sister and her boyfriend were working in DC just down the street from the Pentagon. It was a horrible day for our family, as well.
My other sister, who lives here in New Mexico, called my sis in DC  at work BEFORE she was aware of any "plane down" in her area. Then eventually they were evacuated.

She and her  boyfriend (fiance' at the time) were both caught up in the terror. ...Couldn't get home on the metro. Had to walk five miles to home.

I had just visited them that July and the only "story" on the news was about a woman who went missing in Rock Creek Park....

Those days before 9-11 were sweet and peaceful dispite the humidity. My first visit to DC, as well. What a time! I hadn't seen "The Wall" before and it was moving. I took some terrific photographs.

One year later my sister was married in NYC. go figure.....huge beautiful wedding. Top of the line. ....We tried to visit the "site", but I just couldn't do it.
I had never really been to NYCity before. I was amazed at the TALLNESS of the jungle. WOW.  Fascinating, to be sure.
I walked between Madison and Park Ave......by myself one day that week......passing by boxes (homes) where the hidden treasures of our society lie and sleep...the homeless of the Madison area....I was also amazed.

Anyway, my sister's wedding planner lives in NYC "down the way" from ground zero. Her daughter attended a private school and was in the midst of the horror. Her stories were frightening.

Even though I had never been to New York City before, you could "cut the saddness" with a knife in 02 a year later.

Those are my memories of the day that we should never forget.