Author Topic: any ideas what`s coming next  (Read 796 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
any ideas what`s coming next
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:13:09 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/12/BARE129VFH.DTL

1. the uniform allowance was cut
2. more strict policies on duties.
3. 5 hour cut in weekly pay(link)
4. our breaks are cut to the legal minimun
my question is what else will they do to my poor weekend job.

I`m guessing they`ll cut the lunches to half an hour

I bring this up because with the economy the way it is I`m guessing business will able to do more abuses with the excuse"they should be happy having a job"

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: any ideas what`s coming next
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 02:18:44 PM »

Sorry to hear about your weekend job.

How would they save money by cutting your lunch hour?

I think you can count on this to improve your productivity, but without them having to improve your salary.

This seems to be the "American Way".

I would prefer the American Way to be a constant improvement in the quality of life of Americans, personally. But that is heresy for some.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
How would they save money by cutting your lunch hour?

If they pay for his lunch break, then they'll only be paying him for 1/2hr instead of a full hour.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »
If they pay for his lunch break, then they'll only be paying him for 1/2hr instead of a full hour.

I have held a number of part time jobs, and am familiar with many more as an adviser to students. I have never heard of anyone paying for a lunch hour at all. So I assumed that his job didn't, either.

But you are entirely correct if they did pay him for lunch. IF they paid him for lunch. THEN they would pay him just half if they cut the lunch period.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
But you are entirely correct if they did pay him for lunch. IF they paid him for lunch. THEN they would pay him just half if they cut the lunch period.

California law - if they require him to remain on site during his lunch break, they are also required to pay him for said lunch break:

This 30 minute meal break may generally be unpaid, but only if the employee is completely relieved of his or her duties. If the worker must do any job duties during the meal break, or even if employees are required to stay on the job site during the break, it must instead be a paid meal break. An exception to this rule is sometimes found in situations where it is not practical for a worker to be completely relieved of his or her duties ? for example, in the case of a gas station employee working the night shift alone. An ?on-duty? meal period may be unpaid if both the employer and the employee agree to it in writing.
http://blog.laborlawcenter.com/2006/07/27/california-lunch-and-break-law/
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »
http://blog.laborlawcenter.com/2006/07/27/california-lunch-and-break-law/

Good for California!

Florida does nothing for workers of this sort.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 04:05:51 PM »
I think it`s not about money , so cutting the lunch break is doable.
but me personally It`ll not be much of a hardship since I`m not a fulltime employee.
but this will greatly cut into the retirement of the fuilltime staff ,I worry about my brothers and sisters in polyester blue.
but thank for the input about it, I would not be surprised if they try to make it mandatory the guards be onduty during lunch to maintain coverage .meaning people will be losing thier lunch break everyonce in awhile.
I suspect that despite it`s legally required for workers to have 15min. paid breaks ,nothing is done to enforce it government wise.