Author Topic: Citing God's authority, clerk defies Supreme Court on gay marriages  (Read 8194 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
By Steve Bittenbender - Reuters

MOREHEAD, Ky. (Reuters) - Invoking God's authority, a Kentucky county clerk defied the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday and stood by her refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis has refused to issue marriage licenses to any couples - gay or straight - since the court in June ruled that same-sex couples had the right to marry under the U.S. Constitution.

On Monday, the same court rejected Davis' request for an emergency order allowing her to deny marriage licenses to gay couples while she appeals a federal judge's order requiring her to issue them.

Amid calls for her resignation, death threats and an order that she appear in federal court on Thursday, Davis clung to her religious beliefs.

"I have no animosity toward anyone and harbor no ill will," she said in a statement. "To me this has never been a gay or lesbian issue. It is about marriage and God’s word. It is a matter of religious liberty."

"It is not a light issue for me. It is a heaven or hell decision. For me it is a decision of obedience," she said.

Outside the building in Morehead, Kentucky, that houses the clerk's office, large crowds supporting both sides on the issue gathered and chanted slogans.

Those favoring same-sex marriage chanted, "What do we want? Equality," said Chris Hartman, director of the Louisville-based Fairness Campaign.

Backers of Davis included a person dressed as a Revolutionary War patriot.

"These couples, they torment her because of her beliefs," said Penny Stinnett of nearby Mount Sterling, who came out to support Davis.

'UNDER GOD'S AUTHORITY'

Four couples filed a federal lawsuit against Davis in July challenging her office's policy of not issuing marriage licenses.

On Tuesday the couples filed a motion asking U.S. District Judge David Bunning to hold Davis in contempt of court, seeking fines but no jail time for the clerk.

During a call with attorneys for both sides, Bunning ordered Davis and her deputies to appear in federal court in Ashland, Kentucky, on Thursday, said Joe Dunman, an attorney for one of the couples who had sued.

Last month, the judge said Davis had to live up to her responsibilities as county clerk despite her religious convictions.

Lawyers for at least three same-sex couples said they were refused licenses on Tuesday. She said her office would go on denying marriage licenses pending an appeal to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati.

The videotaped exchange between a couple seeking a license and Davis was posted on the Courier-Journal newspaper website. (http://cjky.it/1Q4Yvtf)

In the video, David Ermold and David Moore, a same-sex couple, ask Davis under whose authority was she denying them a marriage license. "Under God's authority," Davis replies.

While issues related to gay marriage have arisen in courts in several states, the American Civil Liberties Union said the organization was unaware of any other U.S. county clerk refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses.

"She's an outlier,” ACLU national spokeswoman Allison Steinberg said of Davis.

Democratic Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear said in a statement on Tuesday that he could not remove Davis from her job or relieve her of her statutory duties without a change in state law, something that cannot be done until state legislators convene in four months. He said calling a special session of the general assembly would be too costly.

"The future of the Rowan County clerk is now in the hands of the courts," he said.

A spokeswoman for Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway said on Monday that his office was reviewing a request for a special prosecutor to determine if Davis committed official misconduct. On Tuesday morning she said a final decision was pending.

Official misconduct is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 365 days in jail, the spokeswoman said.

Rowan County Attorney Cecil Watkins, who requested the special prosecutor after one of the plaintiff couples complained to him, said he expected the attorney general's office to decide the matter by Thursday.

(Additional reporting by Daniel Bases in New York, Susan Heavey in Washington and Suzannah Gonzales in Chicago; Writing by Ben Klayman; Editing by Jonathan Oatis, Howard Goller and Lisa Shumaker)

Render unto Caesar...

The solution seems clear enough to me...if your religion prevents you from doing your job, either change religions or quit your job. Or is that nice government paycheck too much to give up to make a stand for principle?

"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Citing God's authority, clerk defies Supreme Court on gay marriages
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
This woman is being a fool and it will not serve any purpose for her the have done this.

She is not working for God, God does not sign her paycheck, and she has made no oath to do God's will.

And of course, God has not had a thing to say about this for thousands of years, if ever.

They should remove here and replace her.Locking her up would not accomplish any purpose.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »
The Clerk is being an idiot.  If her principals were that strong, she'd simply resign.  She needs to be reminded of the passage....Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.  Her issuing Licenses is not under God's direction or instruction.....that'd be Ceaser, or in this case, the State & Government, as well as her job description as clerk, that she's payed with Ceaser's $'s
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
   Not willing to follow orders that violate her conscience?

Is this a scheme to rid the Civil Service of annoying consciences?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:07:19 PM »
If she worked for a church and refused to make an appointment for a gay marriage, then maybe she would have a case, de[pending on the denomination.

This is not an act of conscience, it is an act of bigotry.

Her job does not involve any sort of judgement of others.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:52:52 PM »
It's simple.

If you believe adultery is a sin, don't take a job as a prostitute.

If you believe abortion is a sin, don't work as a doctor or nurse in a clinic that provides abortions.

If you're a hypocrite unwilling to give up your government job and paycheck to make a stand, by all means, have at it.

I doubt you will win.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 10:07:32 PM »
Actually she's opening door for religion over all authority. Meaning potentially a business cannot prefuse service to anyone who claim religious right now and can force business comply to demands.

Ex. Vegan restaurant has to serve steak to christians if they want it. Vaccines will be refused

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 10:47:58 PM »
Actually, no. If I go to a vegan restaurant, that advertises as such, I would not expect to be able to order steak, nor would I expect the law to force them to serve steak - no more than I would expect a law to force a car dealership to serve steak. But, her job as county clerk is to perform the functions and duties of her job (including issuing marriage licenses) according to the law - which she is refusing to do. That would be more analogous to an employee of a steakhouse refusing to serve steak because they were vegan...the owner would have every right to fire them because they weren't doing their job. She has a choice, do her job or lose it, with the added possibility of going to jail for contempt of court.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »
The Supreme Court has refused to hear the case of this silly woman, so she has no case. She is not issuing licenses to ANYONE, even straight people.

She has no legal right to do what she is doing. She should simply quit her job if she cannot perform it.

The silly woman, by the way has been divorced THREE TIMES, and the Bible condemns divorce as well, so her conscience is of the cafeteria, pick whatever you want sort. One could call her a hypocrite.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 06:11:15 PM »
   I get the feeling that she is going to loose her case and spend a little time in jail and owe a fine.

But hers is an elected position , I also see an election landslide.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 07:06:36 PM »
    But hers is an elected position , I also see an election landslide.

More jail. Bigger fine. Being elected is no free pass to ignore the law.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 07:11:52 PM »
  It is all the voice the people get.

I recognize that the difference between right and wrong is not popularity, but neither is it power.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »
  It is all the voice the people get.

She can quit her job, which she isn't doing anyway. I guess that $80,000 a year is too much to give up for a principle.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:10 PM »
Either way, we get less of those annoying scruples.