Author Topic: Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended for refusing to serve alcohol  (Read 4757 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended for refusing to serve alcohol
By Emanuella Grinberg and Carma Hassan, CNN

Religious freedom or discrimination?

(CNN)A Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended by ExpressJet for refusing to serve alcohol in accordance with her Islamic faith.

In a bid to get her job back, Charee Stanley filed a discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Tuesday for the revocation of a reasonable religious accommodation.

She wants to do her job without serving alcohol in accordance with her Islamic faith -- just as she was doing before her suspension, her lawyer said.

"What this case comes down to is no one should have to choose between their career and religion and it's incumbent upon employers to provide a safe environment where employees can feel they can practice their religion freely," said Lena Masri, an attorney with Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Stanley, 40, started working for ExpressJet nearly three years ago. About two years ago she converted to Islam. This year she learned her faith prohibits her from not only consuming alcohol but serving it, too, Masri said.

She approached her supervisor on June 1 and was told to work out an arrangement for someone to fulfill passenger requests for alcohol.

"It was at the direction of the airlines that she began coordinating with the other flight attendant on duty so that when a passenger requested alcohol, the other flight attendant would accommodate that request," Masri said. "We know that this arrangement has worked beautifully and without incident and that it hasn't caused any undue burden on the airline. After all, it was the suggestion of the airline."

It seemed to be working out until another flight attendant filed a complaint against Stanley on August 2 claiming she was not fulfilling her duties by refusing to serve alcohol, Masri said. The employee complaint also said Stanley had a book with "foreign writings" and wore a headdress.

On August 25, the airline sent a letter to Stanley informing her that it was revoking its religious accommodation to exclude her from service of alcohol and placing her on administrative leave.

"They placed her on unpaid leave and they advised her that her employment may be terminated after 12 months," Masri said. "We are requesting that her employment be reinstated and the accommodation of her religious beliefs be reinstated as well."

A spokesman for ExpressJet declined to discuss Stanley's complaint.

"At ExpressJet, we embrace and respect the values of all of our team members. We are an equal opportunity employer with a long history of diversity in our workforce. As Ms. Stanley is an employee, we are not able to comment on her personnel matters," spokesman Jarek Beem said in an email.

It appears she had worked out a reasonable solution to the problem, until a coworker complained. I might have some sympathy for the coworker's complaint (nah, probly not) if it weren't for the part about "The employee complaint also said Stanley had a book with "foreign writings" and wore a headdress." That, to me, makes the complaint seem more about the complainant's prejudices than any actual inconvenience the arrangement caused.

And before the howls start, no, this does not compare to a county clerk refusing to issue same sex marriage licenses for religious reasons. In that case, the clerk not only refused to issuethe licenses herself, but instructed her subordinates in the clerks office not to do so as well, and has gone so far as to claim licenses issued by her office while she is in jail on a contempt charge are invalid. That is a far cry from trying to make reasonable accomodations.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  So it is 50% similar?

Is the similar part the important part , or is the dissimilar part the important part?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  So it is 50% similar?

Is the similar part the important part , or is the dissimilar part the important part?

Which would deny service to customers?

Both have a right to exercise their religion.

One tried to do so by working out a solution that was, apparently, working smoothly for all concerned.

The other tried to use her position not only to exercise her freedom of religion, but force those working under her to also refuse legitimate, lawful requests for marriage licenses based on her interpretation of her religion. And is now claiming licenses issued while she is in jail for contempt are invalid.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What the Stewardess did was appropriate, in that she went to her superiors, explained her situation, and they provided her with options.  One of those options of course, was not to work in an environment, where the job requirements would have someone serving alcohol.  So, I give her marks for making an effort to see if she could perform her job, without performing all of the duties associated with that job.  It makes whatever suspension scuzzy, if indeed she worked something out, only to have the airlines suspend her for something she had already worked out an arrangement for
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Ok.

This is why I am not going into a Jewish Delicatessen and ordering a Ham sandwich.

I can get a ham sandwich a few doors down where the presence of ham does not spoil the kosher of the whole kitchen.

I once delivered a pizza to a roomful of Airforce cadets , pilot trainees , they were in a BOQ far from home base because they were flying cross country.

Most of them were happy with their orders , but one was upset that his cheese pizza was in the same bag as a pizza that featured bacon.

I offered a refund , I did not tell him the full story, the way we made Pizza , a hallal pizza is impossible in the first place.

I wish I could have pleased him , but of what he wanted, I had nothing.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What the Stewardess did was appropriate,...

Yes , but doesn't her workaround mean that this airline has to ensure that they don't hire too many Muslims ?

They have to make certain that there are never any flights that have too few stewards qualified to serve alcohol.

As long as she is a small minority of the staff , the scheduling is not a problem.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Apparently the airline was happy with the arrangement, until another employee complained, and the description of their complaint mentioned Stanley had a book with "foreign writings" and wore a headdress." That, to me, makes the complaint seem more about the complainant's bigotry than any actual problem.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  On this one .

I agree too much to offer you a strong argument.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
It does not sound like she was canned because of refusal to sell alcohol, but because of a personality clash with the other stewardess.
Headdresses and books with foreign writing  are not relevant. The fact that they are mentioned makes me think that this was not as portrayed,

A drink on a plane is not of the same importance as a marriage license, either.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Nor is it the same as enforcing current Federal immigration law
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended for refusing to serve alcohol
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 05:04:35 PM »
This has nothing whatever to do with immigration.

You are some kind of nut, sirs.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended for refusing to serve alcohol
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »
Actually it has everything to do with performing the job requirements one accepted.when taking on the job.  Are you inferring that Obama talked an arrangement with himself, to decide which laws & rules he didn't have to follow?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »
Nor is it the same as enforcing current Federal immigration law

http://www.ontheissues.org/Governor/Jan_Brewer_Immigration.htm

Are you thinking of the time that the Arizona Govenor was begging the President to do his job in regards defending the border?

The courts found that the State could not be enforcing the international boundary because it is a federal responsibility.

All the worse for the President,  that he defends his right to be the sole provider of what he is not providing.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »
Obama has done more to return illegals than Bush did.

Enforcing immigration laws depends on Congress for funding, and they have not funded any serious implementation, so you should be blaming Congress.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »
Yea, he's done far more to encourage them to cross in illegally.  And no, it doesn't solely rest on congress.  It primarily rests on the Executive Branch to enforce existing law.  Notice how Obama isn't proclaiming how he wishes he could enforce immigration law if only congress would provide more funding.  And when the head of the executive branch even goes how of his way to bypass congress with executive orders, granting many a promise to illegal immigrants if you can get here, the blame lies 95% Obama, and 5% Congress

So yea, Obama is doing pretty much the same as this Court Clerk, in refusing to abide by the laws of this country, when they took their positions.  Public servants don't get to pick & choose which laws they're going to follow, and which ones they get to ignore