Author Topic: I'm surprised it took this long  (Read 3566 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I'm surprised it took this long
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 06:20:21 AM »
    My Father taught me the best part of what I know , and gave me a 22 when I was still a pre-teen. I shot a lot of cans and milk cartons.

What is the best means in the present day to encorage the necessacery respect and responsibility?

BSB

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
I would say do what your father did. I remember shooting a 22 bolt action with my father at 5 years old. I remember the smell in the air after a discharge. I remember watching tiny pieces of the bullet itself being shaved off as I chambered a round. I remember the smell of the Hoppys when he taught me how to clean a rifle. And through it all I could just tell by his demeanor that this was something you had to treat with great respect. Without him ever saying a word he conveyed that first and foremost you had to act with caution, a clear mind, respect, and always keep the safety of others and yourself in mind.

Then when I was about 9 my uncle, who was career Navy, taught me how to fire a 1911. I have a picture of myself with him at the Boston Navy Yard firing a .45. 

Kids that don't have a father need to find an NRA member who can get ahold of an instructor for them. They need to learn in a formal setting.

BSB

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
Kids that don't have a father need to find an NRA member who can get ahold of an instructor for them. They need to learn in a formal setting.

When I lived near Baltimore, our gun club sponsored shooting camps for under-privileged kids from the city, run by NRA trained instructors.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)