Author Topic: Gold rises towards $1,185.....  (Read 1824 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gold rises towards $1,185.....
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:40:14 AM »

Gold rises towards $1,185 on sovereign risk

By Jan Harvey -LONDON
Thu May 6, 2010

(Reuters) - Gold rose nearly 1 percent toward $1,185 an ounce in Europe on Thursday and hit record highs in euros, sterling and Swiss francs as investors worried Greece's debt problems could spread elsewhere in the euro zone.

Gold is becoming increasingly attractive as a hedge against sovereign risk and the resulting volatility in the foreign exchange markets, analysts said. Elsewhere, platinum climbed 3 percent as lower prices tempted funds back to the metal.

Spot gold was bid at $1,184.11 an ounce at 1051 GMT (6:51 a.m. EDT), versus $1,174.20 late in New York on Wednesday. U.S. gold futures for June delivery on the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange rose $10.00 to $1,185.00 an ounce.

Investment demand for bullion was strong, with the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, New York's SPDR Gold Trust, reporting a 7-tonne rise in its holdings to a record 1,166.002 tonnes on Wednesday.

"People are concerned about sovereign credit risk and this is going to stay around for some time. This type of risk is not solved in a week, or a month," said Standard Bank analyst Walter de Wet. "Gold has performed very well, and it is going to continue to perform well if things get worse."

He said, however, that persistent strength in the dollar, weakness in jewelry demand and the weight of scrap returning to the market are likely to cap gold's gains in the longer term.

Escalating concerns that Greece's debt crisis may spill over into other euro zone states knocked the euro to a 14-month low against the dollar on Thursday. European leaders warned on Wednesday that debt problems may spread.

Dollar strength usually weighs on gold, but this factor is, for the moment, being outweighed by risk-related buying.

Euro-priced gold hit a record high of 926.34 euros an ounce, while in Swiss francs and sterling the metal also peaked at a record at 1,319.79 francs an ounce and 786.33 pounds an ounce respectively.

APPETITE GROWS

Euro zone states are currently finalizing details of a 110 billion euro aid package for Greece, which is struggling to implement the austerity measures attached to the aid.

"Growing sovereign risk is lifting our appetite for gold," said Morgan Stanley in a note. "Although gold has already rallied, trading at its highest in 2010, and reaching nominal highs in euros, we see further upside from current levels."

All eyes are now on the ECB, which will announce the outcome of its latest monetary policy meeting at 1145 GMT (7:45 a.m. EDT). The bank is expected to hold rates at record lows, after which ECB chief Jean-Claude Trichet will hold a news conference at 1230 GMT (8:30 a.m. EDT).

The bank will be under pressure to show it can stop the Greek debt crisis from engulfing other euro zone member states.

Other commodities also steadied after earlier being battered by fears over euro zone contagion risks. Oil slid to a six-week low below $80 a barrel in early trade and copper was down some 2 percent at its low. The more industrial precious metals -- silver, platinum and palladium -- steadied on Thursday after selling off with most other commodities on Wednesday as risk aversion soared.

Platinum climbed to $1,676.50 an ounce from $1,625, up 3 percent, as it recovered from its lowest since late March.

David Wilson, an analyst at Societe Generale, said he had heard reports of fund buying of the white metal. "Stock markets have recovered somewhat this morning, so maybe we are finding some stability in investor sentiment," he said.

Meanwhile palladium was at $511 against $501.50 and silver was at $17.67 an ounce versus $17.43.

(Reporting by Jan Harvey; Editing by Amanda Cooper)

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63P02520100506
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Gold rises towards $1,185.....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:03:15 PM »
UNWPX is the recommendation for investing in gold that seems the best deal. The assholes that flash the ads at the bottom of the screen will stick you with a major commission. Buy this mutual at Scottrade (or your choice of discount brokers) for $7.00 and don't sell it for 30 days to avoid a .5% penalty.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:25:30 PM »
XO....I think I used to own UNWPX.
I am with GLD now. Up 22.68% since purchase.

My best performer is actually an OTC called JBII up 55.82% in less than a year.
Dang if I had only known!...LOL
But OTC/"penny stocks" are quite risky I would think....so ya can't bet the ranch.
But it's nice to have anything up 55.82% in the middle of a recession!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »
But it's nice to have anything up 55.82% in the middle of a recession!
=======================================================
UNWPX is up 86%, GLD is up 32.2% for the year ended 4/30/2010.
There is a different asset mix. You can buy into UNWPX with no fee at all, but to avoid a .5% penalty, you need to hold it for 30 days.

MINDX, SKSEX, ARGFX, FDVLX, NBREX, IWS all beat GLD, most with less risk.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
UNWPX is up 86%, GLD is up 32.2% for the year ended 4/30/2010

With UNWPX you must invest $5000 minimum.
With GLD you can buy and sell...no 30 day buy and hold.

UNWPX - 3YR = 3.74%
GLD - 3YR = 18.34%

UNWPX - 5YR = 17.38%
GLD - 5 YR = 18.34%

Morningstar Ratings:
UNWPX - 3YR  = Two Stars
GLD - 3YR = 5 Stars
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:12:28 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:30:27 AM »
You don't buy gold and hold it for 3 years or 5 years, unless you enjoy losing money.

You buy it and watch it verrrry carefully, and probably dump it before one year has passed.

Most of the time, it is a crappy investment, because of the intense volatility. I have made a little each time I have had it, but nearly every other fund has outperformed it.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »
Thats not really true XO.
As with most investments it depends greatly on timing.
Of course no investment is perfect against every other possible investment.
But I disagree with your blanket statement about Gold being a "crappy investment".

A $10,000 investment: your returns with gold and stocks
Had you invested $10,000 in gold bullion in 1999, your initial investment
would have grown to $38,300 by 12/31/09...an amazing 283% percent increase.

That same $10,000 investment in stocks of the S & P index would have lost $1,400.

That's a 14% loss.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »

Gold Rising as Euro Weakens Spurs More Speculation

By Nicholas Larkin, Claudia Carpenter and Millie Munshi

May 24 (Bloomberg)

Speculators are buying gold faster than the world?s biggest producers can mine it as analysts forecast a 27 percent rally that may extend the longest run of annual gains since at least 1920.

Exchange-traded products backed by bullion added 41.7 metric tons in the week to May 14, the most in 14 months, data from UBS AG show. China, Australia and the 15 other largest mining nations averaged weekly output of 41.6 tons last year, researcher GFMS Ltd. estimates. Even though prices have fallen 5.1 percent to $1,185.30 from a record $1,249.40 an ounce May 14, the median in a Bloomberg survey of 23 traders, analysts and investors shows it will reach $1,500 by the end of the year.

Buying accelerated as the MSCI World Index of 23 developed nations? stocks tumbled as much as 16 percent since mid-April and the euro weakened to a four-year low against the dollar. Holders of ETPs, including George Soros and John Paulson, accumulated a record 1,938 tons by May 21, eclipsing all but four of the biggest central-bank holdings.

?You could see gold go up another $1,000,? said Evan Smith, who helps manage $2 billion at U.S. Global Investors Inc. in San Antonio and in 2006 correctly predicted that gold would reach $700 within two years. ?All of the turmoil and problems we?ve seen in Europe is just another reminder that there?s a lot of value in gold as a safe haven.?

The risk to gold bulls lies in economic growth, which should buoy the prospects of metals linked to industrial demand, such as copper and silver. The world economy will expand 4.2 percent this year, the International Monetary Fund said April 21, raising its January projection from 3.9 percent.

Industrial Metals

Astor Asset Management LLC, with $520 million under management, held as much as 10 percent of its assets in the SPDR Gold Trust, the biggest ETP backed by bullion, according to Bryan Novak, managing director of the Chicago-based company. The firm sold the stake in the first quarter.

China, the biggest consumer of industrial metals, will expand 10.1 percent this year, more than three times the pace of the U.S.?s anticipated 3.2 percent gain, according to as many as 77 economists surveyed by Bloomberg.

?The feeling now is as we move into the expansion phase of economic growth, we want to be diversified in economically sensitive metals,? Novak said. ?We?re not negative on the economy now.?

?Afraid of Debasement?

While gold is favored by investors when the dollar weakens and inflation gains, the metal can also advance at other times. Gold rose 5.8 percent in 2008 as U.S. consumer prices gained 0.1 percent. The metal added 18 percent in 2005 when the U.S. Dollar Index, a measure against six counterparts, advanced 13 percent. Gold rose 8 percent this year as the U.S. Dollar Index jumped 11 percent. U.S. consumer prices dropped in April.

?People are afraid of the debasement of all the currencies,? said Peter Schiff, president and chief global strategist for Darien, Connecticut-based Euro Pacific Capital, whose clients have more than $2 billion in assets. ?What?s surprising is that gold is still as low as it is,? he said, predicting $5,000 to $10,000 an ounce in the next five to 10 years.

Since the last week of April, ETPs have been adding bullion at a pace not seen since the first quarter of 2009, in the wake of the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. Buying rose as European policymakers agreed on an almost $1 trillion emergency loan package to prevent sovereign defaults.

Half the Peak

Assets in gold-backed products increased 18.3 tons last week, according to UBS data. The bank revised its estimate for the previous week?s holdings.

Gold is still at half the peak set in 1980, after adjusting for inflation. Then, prices rose to $850, equal to $2,266 today, according to a calculator on the website of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.

Supply from mines, which peaked in 2001, fell in five of the last eight years, data from London-based GFMS show. Companies are digging deeper to extract dwindling reserves, with mines in South Africa extending as far as 2.35 miles (3.8 kilometers) down.

Investment, including bars and coins, almost doubled to 1,901 tons last year, exceeding jewelry demand for the first time in three decades, according to GFMS. Jewelry will jump 19 percent to 2,100 tons this year and industrial use 8 percent to 398 tons, Sydney-based Macquarie Group Ltd. says.

Central Banks

Muenze Oesterreich AG, the Vienna-based mint that makes the Philharmonic, the best-selling gold coin in Europe and Japan, on May 12 said it had sold 243,500 ounces since April 26, more than the 205,300 ounces sold in the entire first quarter.

Central banks and governments are also buying gold, adding 425.4 tons last year, for a combined 30,116.9 tons, the most since 1964 and the first expansion since 1988, data from the World Gold Council show. Official reserves of central banks and governments may expand by another 192 to 289 tons this year, according to CPM Group, a research and asset-management company in New York.

The net-long position in Comex futures, or bets on higher prices, is within 13 percent of the record reached in November, U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission data show. The most widely held option gives owners the right to buy gold at $1,500 an ounce by December, data from the bourse in New York show.

Economists? outlook may be too rosy, said Michael Pento, chief economist at Delta Global Advisors in Holmdel, New Jersey, who correctly predicted the 2008 commodity collapse. Some investors judge that a debt crisis in Greece may spread elsewhere in the euro zone, including Spain and Portugal.

Billionaire Managers

?The second half of this year will likely show very anemic growth on a global basis,? he said. ?The crisis in Greece is going to spread to Spain and it?s going to be very difficult to deal with. They are bailing out debt with more debt and it isn?t sustainable. It?s a wonderful scenario for gold.?

Billionaire John Paulson?s New York-based Paulson & Co. hedge fund is the SPDR gold trust?s biggest investor, with 31.5 million shares, or about 96 tons, a May 17 regulatory filing showed. Kyle Bass, the head of Dallas-based Hayman Advisors LP who made $500 million in 2007 on the U.S. subprime collapse, bought gold this month, according to a letter to clients.

Buying at the start of a bubble is ?rational,? Soros said in January. His New York-based Soros Fund Management LLC was the sixth-biggest investor in the SPDR fund in the first quarter, a May 17 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission shows. He trimmed his holding by 9.6 percent from the previous quarter.

?People still want a store of wealth,? said Andrew Karsh, co-manager of funds for the Credit Suisse Total Commodity Return Strategy team. ?A lot of the fundamentals are still in place.?

To contact the reporters on this story: Nicholas Larkin in London at nlarkin1@bloomberg.net; Claudia Carpenter in London at ccarpenter2@bloomberg.net; Millie Munshi in New York at mmunshi@bloomberg.net.

Last Updated: May 24, 2010 07:03 EDT

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a6f.XxAJB0Rc

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:20 PM »
But I disagree with your blanket statement about Gold being a "crappy investment".
===========================================
Gold is usually a crappy investment. I do not believe your chart is accurate.

But go ahead, bet the farm. I won't be investing any large amounts in gold.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:01:05 PM »
But go ahead, bet the farm. I won't be investing any large amounts in gold

i never bet the farm on anything...but in physical gold I am primarily in at $875

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 09:08:19 PM »
I won mine.
I used to work for a all chinese company and they give gold bars for the most productive people.
I think it cost around $220 then.
these 1 ounce bar make great gifts.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 11:00:18 PM »
I think it cost around $220 then...these 1 ounce bar make great gifts.

awesome Kimba!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 11:04:05 PM »
I won mine.
I used to work for a all chinese company and they give gold bars for the most productive people.
I think it cost around $220 then.
these 1 ounce bar make great gifts.

I wouldn't turn one down ....

..ol buddy!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 11:35:57 PM »
also those bar are really cool to hold it got some serious heft to it.

bet the coin would have the same effect

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 11:55:17 PM »
Kimba one reason I prefer coins...is if the economy collapses I would assume
coins would be more easily used as payment for stuff