Author Topic: Crazy Facts  (Read 1178 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Crazy Facts
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:59:06 PM »
In the 1400's a law was set forth that a man was not allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence we have "the rule of thumb".

Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled "Gentlemen Only...Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury.

Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.

Coca-Cola was originally green.

It is impossible to lick your elbow.

The average number of people airborne over the US any given hour: 61,000

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer.

Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king in history:

Spades - King David

Hearts - Charlemagne

Clubs -Alexander, the Great

Diamonds - Julius Caesar

http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/?u=9360720
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Cynthia

Re: Crazy Facts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »
Oh mygod! Fabulous post. I am printing it to take to my friend, Henry today. Linguist prof.

Professor, you know.....Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater....hmmmm had a wife and couldn't keep her.

Hate that one....even the kids hate that one. ha!

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:41:22 AM »

The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

Not sure how true the rest of the "facts" are, but that one I am pretty sure is not true. Before the Flintstones, I believe Ozzie and Harriet Nelson shared a bed on television, and got away with it because they were married in real life. But I went looking online, and apparently another TV couple beat the Nelsons by about a decade. The show, according to Snopes, was Mary Kay and Johnny, which also starred an actual husband and wife couple. The Snopes page is here: http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marykay.asp.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 01:09:59 AM »
my question did anybody here try to lick thier own elbow?
just asking

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:09:41 AM »
just asking.
=============================
I am guessing you tried. I imagine that there are a few individuals with short arms and long tongues who might be able to do this.

This list has been around for a long time, and a lot of it is just silly. The word GOLF is not bashed on any abbreviation, nor is the word SHIT. Some of this stuff might be true. The kings on the card do not in any way resemble any known portraits of Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great, so this is also probably bogus.

Tom Sawyer was probably the first novel written on a typewriter, since Mark Twain was a great believer in technology and collected typewriters.

I don't know about Coca-Cola. It started out as a medicinal tonic.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure that every one of these is incorrect.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 02:32:46 PM »
AS I said, I have read before (in several biographies of Mark Twain) that he was the first author to write on a typewriter. He was a former typesetter and was fascinated with new inventions. He even lost a huge fortune investing in the Paige typesetting machine, which was always just a step away from perfection.

So I think that one is true, at least.

The bit about words coming from abbreviations is generally bogus, such as the labels on supposed shipments of animal dung, labeled "Store High In Transit" being the origin of the word SHIT, which is obviously derived from the Anglo-Saxon version of the German word Sheist.

I have heard some dumbass statement about how every obscene four letter in the English language is some sort of abbreviation. I don't think any of these (including GOLF for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden) is imaginative nonsense.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »
just asking.
===========
The question should have been, is there anyone who read this who WOULDN'T try.  I tried.  I confirmed. It's not possible.  (Reasoning:  if I couldn't do it, nobody can.  :)  )

Here's another impossibility for the chairborne: 

1.  sit comfortably
2.  raise right foot off the floor and rotate it in clockwise circles
3.  While rotating right foot in clockwise circles, make the number "6" in the air with your right index finger.
4.  Try to keep the right foot rotating in clockwise circles while making the number "6"

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 01:50:49 AM »
just asking.
===========
The question should have been, is there anyone who read this who WOULDN'T try.  I tried.  I confirmed. It's not possible.  (Reasoning:  if I couldn't do it, nobody can.  :)  )

Here's another impossibility for the chairborne: 

1.  sit comfortably
2.  raise right foot off the floor and rotate it in clockwise circles
3.  While rotating right foot in clockwise circles, make the number "6" in the air with your right index finger.
4.  Try to keep the right foot rotating in clockwise circles while making the number "6"

Pretty neat trick. I will keep at it till I can do it.

Have you ever tried to do deep knee bends with your eyes closed? It can be done , but it is a challenge to the balance.

Is it true that Posh is derived from "Port Outbound Starboard Inbound" which savvy travelers would request for their staterooms for passages to India and back?

Solar Eclipses are never seen on the week of the full moon , Lunar Eclipses are never seen during the week of the New moon.

Teddy Bears are named for a US president who loved to hunt , but refused to shoot one particular bear.

The first University of Georgia mascot bulldog "Uga" is buried in Warner Robins Ga.

The King of Spain once sent George Washington a gift of Donkeys.

The first practical ironclad ships were neither the "Virginia" nor the "Monitor" of the CSA and the USA but the Korean "Turtle boat".

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1540.htm

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 02:40:32 AM by Plane »