Author Topic: Abandon Stereotypes, Muslims in America Say  (Read 6870 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Abandon Stereotypes, Muslims in America Say
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 09:33:18 AM »
You are of course entitled to your opinion, which you have already admitted is biased.

I suggest those who are interested do some independent research into who this group associates with and where they get their money.

OK. If what you suggest is true, doesn't that suggest an extreme flaw in our government's ability to crack down on the issues?

Richpo64

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 09:40:31 AM »
>>OK. If what you suggest is true, doesn't that suggest an extreme flaw in our government's ability to crack down on the issues?<<

Strawman.

I have no idea, nor do you, what the government is doing regarding this group. I only posted the information in the interest of full disclosure.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 09:41:16 AM »
Muslim charities to be forum topic
September 3, 2007

BY NIRAJ WARIKOO

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans say the government crackdown on Muslim charities has been too tight, ensnaring what they see as innocent efforts to help needy people.

But the federal government says its actions, including raids, are a move to stanch the flow of money to terrorist groups in the Islamic world.

As Ramadan, a time of fasting and giving, approaches, the U.S. Attorney in Detroit, Stephen Murphy, is hosting a forum Tuesday in Dearborn on charitable donations to address concerns of metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans.
An official with the U.S. Treasury Department who deals with terrorist financing also plans to attend the forum.

Murphy said in a news release that the forum "should provide helpful information to all those of generous heart who want to make charitable donations without worrying about whether their money is going to some place they really don't want it to go."

During the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, which starts next week, many Muslims donate money to charities to help Muslims in need. The donations, known as zakat, are one of the main religious obligations for many Muslims.

After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the U.S. government took a closer look at Islamic charities to examine whether they were financing extremist groups.

In September 2006, federal agents raided the Southfield-based Muslim charity Life for Relief and Development, hauling away documents in an investigation of the group's work in Iraq. And in July, agents raided two Shi'ite Muslim charities in Dearborn, Al-Mabarrat Charitable Organization and Goodwill Charitable Organization. Goodwill's assets were frozen by the Treasury Department; Al-Mabarrat remains open.

None of the charities or their members have been charged with any crime.

But the raids and publicity around them unfairly hurts their reputations, said attorney Shereef Akeel. Akeel represents Life, Al-Mabarrat, and another charity, Islamic American Relief Agency, which was raided in 2004. All three were targeted just before the start of Ramadan, the timing of which concerns Akeel and others. Akeel said the government raids hurt the charity's efforts to help Muslims and damage the United States' image in the Islamic world.

Imad Hamad, regional director of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee and cohost of Tuesday's event, is calling for the government to come up with clear regulations about how charities can operate.

"There should be clear mechanisms, procedures, and processes in place that are regulated," by the government, Hamad said.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070903/NEWS05/709030322/1001/NEWS

Richpo64

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »
>>Metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans say the government crackdown on Muslim charities has been too tight, ensnaring what they see as innocent efforts to help needy people.<<

Exactly what I would expect a radical Islamic group to say.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 10:03:20 AM »
Honestly Miss Henny, how is America treating "every" American Muslim as suspect??  I do believe that's more hyperbole than substance. 

I think those who are considered "suspect" are those acting in a suspicious manner, such as those Muslims on the airline, where they kept changing seats, asking for extra safety belts that they didn't use, all the while publically proclaiming how much they disliked America & Bush. 
I think those who are considered "suspect" are those who refuse to acknowledge terrorist actions by Islamic radicals, even going so far as to justify their acts of terrorism, frequently trying to change the subject to Israeli abuses. 
I think those who are considered "suspect" are those who support the acts of Muslim extremists & radicals, while denouncing any criticism of such as "sterotyping all Muslims as suspect"

At least, that's what I think

As someone who has a really good Muslim friend, I can tell you that it is pure discrimination. Anytime we went through checkpoints, he got frisked (we both worked for the Government, until he moved recently). People would constantly ask him stupid questions or even send him hateful email.

You don't even want to know how his wife, an alabaster-skinned red-headed American who converted to Islam, was treated by people who found out that she had converted to Islam.

So no, people should think before spouting a lot of the hateful rhetoric I've witnessed, even right here, because such things have recourse in reality.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 10:45:02 AM »
>>Metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans say the government crackdown on Muslim charities has been too tight, ensnaring what they see as innocent efforts to help needy people.<<

Exactly what I would expect a radical Islamic group to say.

What makes Metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans a "radical Islamic group?"

There are a great deal of poor people in nations throughout the Islamic world (and the Christian world as well, or perhaps the world in general is a better way to say it). We shouldn't shut down groups that are honestly trying to help those who are in need. Not all of the Islamic states are oil rich Gulf states.

Just like not all Christian nations are economic powers like the United States. Some, like Haiti or the Phillipines, have monumental poverty (or in fact, parts of the United States itself).
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Richpo64

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 10:50:15 AM »
>>What makes Metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans a "radical Islamic group?"<<

Nothing that I know of at this time. I didn't say they were. My point is that what they say regarding the governments efforts to expose terrorist support groups is what I would suspect a terrorist support group to say.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 11:02:02 AM »
Nothing that I know of at this time. I didn't say they were.

Yes you did. You just said that you expected no different from a radical Islamic group.

My point is that what they say regarding the governments efforts to expose terrorist support groups is what I would suspect a terrorist support group to say.

Well that's a pointless statement. You might as well be dunking a 16th century "witch" and saying that her denial is proof that she is a witch.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Richpo64

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 10:30:38 PM »
>>Yes you did. You just said that you expected no different from a radical Islamic group.<<

I thought it was clear enough. I would expect someone who is guilty to deny it. That's not the same as saying they are guilty. I have no idea.

>>You might as well be dunking a 16th century "witch" and saying that her denial is proof that she is a witch.<<

I see you have come to your own pointless conclusion. Oh well.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 01:35:54 AM »
As someone who has a really good Muslim friend, I can tell you that it is pure discrimination. Anytime we went through checkpoints, he got frisked (we both worked for the Government, until he moved recently). People would constantly ask him stupid questions or even send him hateful email.

Then those are ignorant, stupid people.  My wife and I are as caucasion as one can get, and we are frequently "frisked"

You don't even want to know how his wife, an alabaster-skinned red-headed American who converted to Islam, was treated by people who found out that she had converted to Islam.

See above reference to there's a lot of stupid, ignorant people in this world

So no, people should think before spouting a lot of the hateful rhetoric I've witnessed, even right here, because such things have recourse in reality.

Ummmm, who said people shouldn't think before they speak??  That's a universal courtesy.....except of course on shows like Air America I suppose
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Richpo64

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 01:28:49 PM »
Then those are ignorant, stupid people.  My wife and I are as caucasion as one can get, and we are frequently "frisked"

Well, no need to get into personal details. Those "ignorant, stupid people" are the government security officers.

See above reference to there's a lot of stupid, ignorant people in this world

And those "stupid, ignorant people" are voters no doubt.

Ummmm, who said people shouldn't think before they speak??  That's a universal courtesy.....except of course on shows like Air America I suppose

Right...
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 01:29:41 PM »
I thought it was clear enough. I would expect someone who is guilty to deny it. That's not the same as saying they are guilty. I have no idea.

Well, admitting you have no idea is the first intelligent response you've uttered in this thread.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 03:03:10 PM »
Those "ignorant, stupid people" are the government security officers.

explain?
I thought their supposed to frisk people it`s their job

Richpo64

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 05:41:14 PM »
>>Well, admitting you have no idea is the first intelligent response you've uttered in this thread.<<

You're hardly the best judge of what is and isn't intelligent. I'm sorry if I was speaking over your head. I'll do my best to bring it down to your level next time junior.