Author Topic: Abandon Stereotypes, Muslims in America Say  (Read 6870 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Abandon Stereotypes, Muslims in America Say
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 03:00:48 AM »
Then those are ignorant, stupid people.  My wife and I are as caucasion as one can get, and we are frequently "frisked"

Well, no need to get into personal details. Those "ignorant, stupid people" are the government security officers.

You mean Government security officers were sending the hateful e-mails & asking stupid questions??  What airport you flying out of, so I can try to avoid it.

And those "stupid, ignorant people" are voters no doubt.

And........that has what to do with the price of tea in China??

Ummmm, who said people shouldn't think before they speak??  That's a universal courtesy

Right...

It's not??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »
Honestly Miss Henny, how is America treating "every" American Muslim as suspect??  I do believe that's more hyperbole than substance. 

I think those who are considered "suspect" are those acting in a suspicious manner, such as those Muslims on the airline, where they kept changing seats, asking for extra safety belts that they didn't use, all the while publically proclaiming how much they disliked America & Bush. 
I think those who are considered "suspect" are those who refuse to acknowledge terrorist actions by Islamic radicals, even going so far as to justify their acts of terrorism, frequently trying to change the subject to Israeli abuses. 
I think those who are considered "suspect" are those who support the acts of Muslim extremists & radicals, while denouncing any criticism of such as "sterotyping all Muslims as suspect"

At least, that's what I think

As someone who has a really good Muslim friend, I can tell you that it is pure discrimination. Anytime we went through checkpoints, he got frisked (we both worked for the Government, until he moved recently). People would constantly ask him stupid questions or even send him hateful email.

You don't even want to know how his wife, an alabaster-skinned red-headed American who converted to Islam, was treated by people who found out that she had converted to Islam.

So no, people should think before spouting a lot of the hateful rhetoric I've witnessed, even right here, because such things have recourse in reality.

JS: "You don't even want to know how his wife, an alabaster-skinned red-headed American who converted to Islam, was treated by people who found out that she had converted to Islam."

It is digusting that people would treat this person disrespectfully, especially since she is a woman. You must always treat women with respect, even when they make the most hideous of choices.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:43:01 AM by Mr_Perceptive »

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 11:28:01 AM »
Honestly Miss Henny, how is America treating "every" American Muslim as suspect??  I do believe that's more hyperbole than substance. 

I think those who are considered "suspect" are those acting in a suspicious manner, such as those Muslims on the airline, where they kept changing seats, asking for extra safety belts that they didn't use, all the while publically proclaiming how much they disliked America & Bush. 
I think those who are considered "suspect" are those who refuse to acknowledge terrorist actions by Islamic radicals, even going so far as to justify their acts of terrorism, frequently trying to change the subject to Israeli abuses. 
I think those who are considered "suspect" are those who support the acts of Muslim extremists & radicals, while denouncing any criticism of such as "sterotyping all Muslims as suspect"

At least, that's what I think

As someone who has a really good Muslim friend, I can tell you that it is pure discrimination. Anytime we went through checkpoints, he got frisked (we both worked for the Government, until he moved recently). People would constantly ask him stupid questions or even send him hateful email.

You don't even want to know how his wife, an alabaster-skinned red-headed American who converted to Islam, was treated by people who found out that she had converted to Islam.

So no, people should think before spouting a lot of the hateful rhetoric I've witnessed, even right here, because such things have recourse in reality.

JS: "So no, people should think before spouting a lot of the hateful rhetoric I've witnessed, even right here, because such things have recourse in reality."

Is this a type of impiled threat? Speak your peace, man. Spit it out.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 11:30:39 AM »
>>Metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans say the government crackdown on Muslim charities has been too tight, ensnaring what they see as innocent efforts to help needy people.<<

Exactly what I would expect a radical Islamic group to say.

What makes Metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans a "radical Islamic group?"

There are a great deal of poor people in nations throughout the Islamic world (and the Christian world as well, or perhaps the world in general is a better way to say it). We shouldn't shut down groups that are honestly trying to help those who are in need. Not all of the Islamic states are oil rich Gulf states.

Just like not all Christian nations are economic powers like the United States. Some, like Haiti or the Phillipines, have monumental poverty (or in fact, parts of the United States itself).

This is true. There are people in need, regardless their religious affiliation. There are physicans, as an example, who serve the needs of ALL, as it should be. When on humanitarian missions while in the Service, I helped any and all who were within the misison parameters, regardless their ethnic background, etc. As it should be.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:43:37 AM by Mr_Perceptive »

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
Nothing that I know of at this time. I didn't say they were.

Yes you did. You just said that you expected no different from a radical Islamic group.

My point is that what they say regarding the governments efforts to expose terrorist support groups is what I would suspect a terrorist support group to say.

Well that's a pointless statement. You might as well be dunking a 16th century "witch" and saying that her denial is proof that she is a witch.

If groups like these are found, after thorough investigation, to be terrorist groups, then their financials should be seized and given to the less fortunate or a similar deed implemented and the members subjected to the most severest forms of the criminal justice system or beat senseless, whichever can be gotten away with. :-)

If they are innocent, however, then let them pursue their noteworthy aims, regarldess their religious affiliation.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:44:25 AM by Mr_Perceptive »

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 11:37:45 AM »
>>Metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans say the government crackdown on Muslim charities has been too tight, ensnaring what they see as innocent efforts to help needy people.<<

Exactly what I would expect a radical Islamic group to say.

What makes Metro Detroit Muslims and Arab Americans a "radical Islamic group?"

There are a great deal of poor people in nations throughout the Islamic world (and the Christian world as well, or perhaps the world in general is a better way to say it). We shouldn't shut down groups that are honestly trying to help those who are in need. Not all of the Islamic states are oil rich Gulf states.

Just like not all Christian nations are economic powers like the United States. Some, like Haiti or the Phillipines, have monumental poverty (or in fact, parts of the United States itself).

This is true. There are people in need, regardless their religious affiliation. There are physicans, as an example, who serve the needs of ALL, as it should be. When on humanitarian missions while in the Service, I hleped any and all who were within the misison parameters, regardless their ethnic background, etc. As it should be.

Absolutely true, and well said Mr. Perceptive.

I've seen it in action in the Middle East; my Muslim and Arab brother-in-law is engaged to marry an Israeli Jew (Oy! This has the 2 families involved very upset) and she is a Chiropractor participating in Doctors Without Borders in Gaza and the West Bank.

(Although I've joked about the need of a chiropractic care in poverty-stricken areas, she says that I don't understand the entire spectrum of the care involved, and that chiropractors are trained to do general examinations as well.)

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
http://www.terrorismawareness.org/islamic-mein-kampf/

Just went to this site. Interesting that such sites exist. I am, however, not sure that what this site displays is really all that important, namely that the President of Iraq is akin to Adolf Hitler.

They are both extremists, so in this they have something in common. But the Presidnet of Iraq is a nincompoop who is mostly hot air in my opinion. Once you identify a blowhard as such, then all dealings with that person can be taken in a more humorous note.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:46:07 AM by Mr_Perceptive »

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 11:41:48 AM »
Those "ignorant, stupid people" are the government security officers.

explain?
I thought their supposed to frisk people it`s their job

I believe it is the profiling that is being addressed here.

I fly frequently and have never been frisked. I must have an innocent face and a calm demeanor.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:46:27 AM by Mr_Perceptive »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 11:50:31 AM »
I fly frequently and have never been frisked. I must have an innocent face and a calm demeanor.  ;D

:P
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »
However, I did arm-wrestle in a friendly manner with a TSA type at the airport. He turned out to be a friend of one of my recruits several years ago. He mentioned how "atrophied" my muscles looked these days (hell, I'm sixty now but can still bench-press 330 thank you!) and I retaliated that he probably hung small ones (I recognized him and he obviously recognized me) so we arm wrestled right there at the baggage screening area (no one else was around). This was at the Wichita airport in off hours.

I have read of much consternation about these TSA screenings, but I have had no problems at all. I take off my shoes and belt and have never had any problems. They all seemed professional to me.

That being the case, I do agree that the concept of profiling is a valid policy in this era we live in. It should be carefully monitoroied by third party inspection teams, of course, but still a valid technique, at least from the little I have read. As one example, due to 9-11, I certainly would single out people who looked suspicious for special observation and that incldues those who "look Middle Eastern." If a terrorist form Figi had committed 9-11, I would be profiling those who "look Pacific Asian".

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »
I kinda like those travel restriction
it means I don`t carry all that crap anymore.
it`s down to one carry all now and laptop
no wasting time waiting at the luggage pickup

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2007, 01:30:20 PM »
Nothing that I know of at this time. I didn't say they were.

Yes you did. You just said that you expected no different from a radical Islamic group.

My point is that what they say regarding the governments efforts to expose terrorist support groups is what I would suspect a terrorist support group to say.

Well that's a pointless statement. You might as well be dunking a 16th century "witch" and saying that her denial is proof that she is a witch.

Denial can't be taken as proof of guilt of course , but neither is it much evidence of innocence.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2007, 01:37:40 PM »
In  the people responsible for examineing passengers getting on a plane in Israel have a lot of leeway , but are trained well.

They look carefully for people who behave abnormally and do not refrain from looking directly into the eyes of the passengers.

Their success rate is pretty good , is it really hard to hide your heart from your eyes?

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2007, 02:58:37 PM »
Perhaps an analysis should be conducted as to the success of the TSA officers and approrpiate training taken if it indeed is clear they are substandard. Perhpas setting a standard as high as the Isrealis might be an excellent start.

I always set as an example for my men the highest of the highest. As an example, you can typically tell a lot about weapon quality by looking at what weapons the Isrealis either purchase outright or steal. For example, they dislike the M-16 and its ilk and prefer H&Ks. They patterned the Merkava tank after the Abrams. They don't particularly like the Bradley and so on.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:39:40 PM by Mr_Perceptive »

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
Perhaps an analysis should be conducted as to the success of the TSA officers and approrpiate training taken if it indeed is clear they are substandard. Perhpas setting a standard as high as the Isrealis might be an excellent start.

From my travel experiences abroad, most countries set a much higher standard than U.S. security. Even after 9/11.