Author Topic: Abandon Stereotypes, Muslims in America Say  (Read 6870 times)

Mr_Perceptive

Re: Abandon Stereotypes, Muslims in America Say
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2007, 03:20:24 PM »
Back to the thrust of the original post, if the Muslim community is concenred about being stereotyped, why has it taken them this long to "come out of the closet?" Why the belated PR campaign? Why didn't they spout it from the rooftops after 9-11 and continue this PR campaign until actual results were achieved? Why don't they reign in their more radical brethren who apparently are the cause of much of this "sterotyping"? If I read your posts correctly, you are Muslim, so educate us...

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2007, 03:43:49 PM »
Back to the thrust of the original post, if the Muslim community is concenred about being stereotyped, why has it taken them this long to "come out of the closet?" Why the belated PR campaign? Why didn't they spout it from the rooftops after 9-11 and continue this PR campaign until actual results were achieved? Why don't they reign in their more radical brethren who apparently are the cause of much of this "sterotyping"? If I read your posts correctly, you are Muslim, so educate us...

I am well versed in Islam, lived in Jordan for a year and am fluent in Arabic. I was born and raised in the U.S., and I am Christian and of European descent. My family is Arab and Muslim, so it is a very personal issue for me. I know I am biased, as I have been so often accused, but I've also had a chance to see things and experience things personally that most here haven't, and I try to share that whenever possible. Anyway, enough biography.

I truly don't believe that the PR campaign is belated. I remember seeing it locally, nationally and internationally right after 9/11. Perhaps it is a matter of perception and what people want to see. I know there have been times over the years following 9/11 where I have posted excerpts of that information in this forum (and predecessors). If I have time I'll try to get some of that info again and post it for you.

I don't know how the Muslims of the world can go about reigning in the more radical elements of their religion. But I do think it's unfair to expect them to do so. If so, how should they do that? Keep in mind, we're talking about regular people, just like those of us here, who are trying to live their lives and survive in the world.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2007, 03:51:58 PM »
I don't know how the Muslims of the world can go about reigning in the more radical elements of their religion. But I do think it's unfair to expect them to do so.

If the goal is peace, then it's absolutely imperative & a necessary expectation, since this war against militant Islam can't be won by force alone, especially foreign force.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle