Author Topic: The Clinton Legacy: North Korea's Bomb  (Read 9835 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Clinton Legacy: North Korea's Bomb
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 10:52:26 PM »
The "threatening noises" are in specific RESPONSE to their drive for a nucular weapon.  Not the other way a round, I'm afraid H

Which is supposed to reassure North Korea how, exactly?

Never mind.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 11:20:29 PM »
    I don't think the North Koreans slowed their reasearch into Atomic wepons down for Carter and Clinton , diplomacy for them is a matter of what s mine is mine and what is yours is negotiable. Unless they could see the future when they started to build atomic bombs , President Bush's "axis of evil " comment couldn't have made any diffrence.

The time to act militarily is immediately , it takes time to refine Urainium or extract Plutonium , they have the fewest number of atomic devices right now as they will ever have. If we strike them with very heavy bombing they will never assemble another one .

No, we do not have enough troop strength availible to occupy North Korea and establish controll and order.

We do have enough air power to make truck travel on the road to the nuclear assembly plant absolutely impossible. That is all we really need to do , you cant carry much nuclear fuel in a knapsack.

larry

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 11:40:40 PM »
The time to act militarily is immediately , it takes time to refine Urainium or extract Plutonium , they have the fewest number of atomic devices right now as they will ever have. If we strike them with very heavy bombing they will never assemble another one .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We should not act immediately. It would be a mistake for the U.S. to be fighting on too many fronts at the same time. I believe this is a good opportunity for the U.S. to see what China's resolve is.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 12:04:25 AM »
Which is supposed to reassure North Korea how, exactly?

Considering we've made no "threats" at them specifically, considering that the Iraq invasion was predicated on their blatant non-compliance with UN resolutions, considering that "noises" again are in RESPONSE to the threat that Iran poses to not just Israel, but the entire Middle East upon their becoming nucular, gives zilch reason for North Korea to think we're about to invade.  At least to sane & rationally minded folks

Never mind.

Not interested in substantive debate?  Whatever floats your boat.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 12:48:28 AM »
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We should not act immediately. It would be a mistake for the U.S. to be fighting on too many fronts at the same time. I believe this is a good opportunity for the U.S. to see what China's resolve is.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Why would this be too many frounts?
I am not suggesting that we send in any troops at all , aircraft only like in Bosnia coulds shut the Country down, There would be not a lightbulb that worked in all of North Korea on day two.

Waiting for a while will allow them to build a few A-bombs , what is the argument for waiting?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 08:00:03 AM »
At least to sane & rationally minded folks

Kinda brings us back to Kim being a nutjob, dunnit?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »
At least to sane & rationally minded folks

No doubt
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 03:07:14 PM »
"The time to act militarily is immediately , it takes time to refine Urainium or extract Plutonium , they have the fewest number of atomic devices right now as they will ever have. If we strike them with very heavy bombing they will never assemble another one .

No, we do not have enough troop strength availible to occupy North Korea and establish controll and order.

We do have enough air power to make truck travel on the road to the nuclear assembly plant absolutely impossible. That is all we really need to do , you cant carry much nuclear fuel in a knapsack."

I totally concur. But then, I also advocated this with Iran. However, the window of opportunity to act militarily is quickly diminishing.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 04:20:01 PM »

We do have enough air power to make truck travel on the road to the nuclear assembly plant absolutely impossible. That is all we really need to do , you cant carry much nuclear fuel in a knapsack.

You're damn straight we don't have enough military power to occupy North Korea and establish law and order. Hell, we can't occupy Iraq and establish even a semblance of law and order. As we all know, Iraq had no WMD's. What are you going to do with North Korea's nuclear weapon? Condemn it strongly and threaten it with isolation?

Personally, I think KJI gets a bit of a kick out of calling Bush's bluffs. Remember? "We will not tolerate nuclear weapons in North Korea." I think Iran and North Korea know that nuclear weapons are a method to preserve their future. We won't attack North Korea. We haven't the military means and are spending enough money on Iraq. At the rate it is going, I think Iran will get their nuclear weapon within the next decade as well.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

The_Professor

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 04:26:39 PM »
This reminds me of a famous scifi movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Remember the message there? Isn't it still applicable today?

see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »
This reminds me of a famous scifi movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Remember the message there? Isn't it still applicable today?

Interestingly enough, I watched that movie on Monday (TiVo grabbed it for me a few weeks ago). Yeah, that message is pretty eternal.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 07:20:09 PM »

You're damn straight we don't have enough military power to occupy North Korea and establish law and order.

Why should we want to ?

We just want them to be helpless to make bombs , that doesn't require that we establish a new order in North Korea , disrupting the order that they have would do fine.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 09:15:26 PM »

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 09:19:02 PM »

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 09:20:01 PM »