Author Topic: Racial vs Intellectual Diversity  (Read 9778 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Racial vs Intellectual Diversity
« on: November 03, 2006, 05:13:33 AM »
With all the hoopla surrounding what Sowell was supposedly saying about "diversity", here's another article on the subject.  Let's see how quickly this author is referred to as a racist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIVERSITY ADULATION

There are some ideas so ludicrous and mischievous that only an academic would take them seriously. One of them is diversity. Think about it. Are you for or against diversity? When's the last time you said to yourself, "I'd better have a little more diversity in my life"? What would you think if you heard a Microsoft director tell his fellow board members that the company should have more diversity and manufacture kitchenware, children's clothing and shoes? You'd probably think the director was smoking something illegal.

Our institutions of higher learning take diversity seriously and make it a multimillion-dollar operation. Juilliard School has a director of diversity and inclusion; Massachusetts Institute of Technology has a manager of diversity recruitment; Toledo University, an associate dean for diversity; the universities of Harvard, Texas A&M, California at Berkeley, Virginia and many others boast of officers, deans, vice-presidents and perhaps ministers of diversity.

George Leef, director of the John W. Pope Center for Higher Education Policy in Raleigh, N.C., writes about this in an article titled "Some Questions about Diversity" in the Oct. 5 issue of "Clarion Call." Mr. Leef suggests that only in academia is diversity pursued for its own sake, but there's a problem: Everyone, even if they are the same ethnicity, nationality or religion, is different. Suppose two people are from the same town in Italy. They might differ in many important respects: views on morality, religious and political beliefs, recreation preferences and other characteristics.

Mr. Leef says that some academics see diversity as a requirement for social justice -- to right historical wrongs. The problem here is that if you go back far enough, all groups have suffered some kind of historical wrong. The Irish can point to injustices at the hands of the British, Jews at the hands of Nazis, Chinese at the hands of Indonesians, and Armenians at the hands of the Turks. Of course, black Americans were enslaved, but slavery is a condition that has been with mankind throughout most of history. In fact, long before blacks were enslaved, Europeans were enslaved. The word slavery comes from Slavs, referring to the Slavic people, who were early slaves. White Americans, captured by the Barbary pirates, were enslaved at one time or another. Whites were indentured servants in colonial America. So what should the diversity managers do about these injustices?

When academics call for diversity, they're really talking about racial preferences for particular groups of people, mainly blacks. The last thing they're talking about is intellectual diversity. According to a recent national survey, reported by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni in "Intellectual Diversity," 72 percent of college professors describe themselves as liberal and 15 percent conservative. Liberal professors think their classrooms should be used to promote a political agenda. The University of California recently abandoned a provision on academic freedom that cautioned against using the classroom for propaganda. The president said the regulation was "outdated."

Americans, as taxpayers and benefactors, have been exceedingly generous to our institutions of higher learning. That generosity has been betrayed. Rich Americans, who acquired their wealth through our capitalist system, give billions to universities. Unbeknownst to them, much of that money often goes to faculty members and programs that are openly hostile to donor values. Universities have also failed in their function of the pursuit of academic excellence by having dumbed down classes and granting degrees to students who are just barely literate and computationally incompetent.

What's part of Williams' solution? Benefactors should stop giving money to universities that engage in racist diversity policy. Simply go to the university's website, and if you find offices of diversity, close your pocketbook. There's nothing like the sound of pocketbooks snapping shut to open the closed minds of administrators.

BY WALTER E. WILLIAMS
RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2006

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/articles/06/adulation.html

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Racial vs Intellectual Diversity
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 09:44:46 AM »
With all the hoopla surrounding what Sowell was supposedly saying about "diversity", here's another article on the subject.  Let's see how quickly this author is referred to as a racist

You cannot defend your earlier point adequately, so you make a passive-aggressive statement here? Wow. I may have to dig through my old psychology textbook for you.

Now let's read the text.

First of all Walter Williams is African American so there is a little pitfall here that supposedly because he is black he cannot write something racist. Of course that is a crock of shit. Still, I have to get on into the piece to see what I think of it.

OK.

It isn't racist at all. It is just typical backlash victimisation with its typical hatred for the univeristy system. Not racist, just rubbish.

Now toddle off and defend your racist essay. This one is clearly a diversion.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 10:58:08 AM »
First of all Walter Williams is African American so there is a little pitfall here that supposedly because he is black he cannot write something racist. Of course that is a crock of shit....Now toddle off and defend your racist essay. This one is clearly a diversion.

Been there done that.  My apologies if my answers were not to your level of satisfaction.  And the color of either author's skin has zip to do with anything.  So, why the frell you needed to bring it into the equation perhaps tells us more about your mental frame of mind than my need for a psychological assessment
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
And the color of either author's skin has zip to do with anything.  So, why the frell you needed to bring it into the equation perhaps tells us more about your mental frame of mind than my need for a psychological assessment

Oh, I agree that it has nothing to do with anything, which I clearly point out in my reply. Just making sure no one else falls for the juvenile attempt at chicanery on the part of the "debate" you offer from this "article."
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 11:40:38 AM »
Oh, I agree that it has nothing to do with anything, which I clearly point out in my reply. Just making sure no one else falls for the juvenile attempt at chicanery on the part of the "debate" you offer from this "article."

Care to qualify that accusation?  You brought race into this.  Who would you be expecting "chicanery" from in order for you to be obligated t prevent such??

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 11:42:46 AM »
Quite clearly you. You brought race into this as evidenced by your introductory statement. I, quite clearly, took it out.

As I said, "It [the article] isn't racist at all. It is just typical backlash victimisation with its typical hatred for the univeristy system. Not racist, just rubbish."
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

The_Professor

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 11:53:31 AM »
" It is just typical backlash victimisation with its typical hatred for the univeristy system. Not racist, just rubbish."

Js, do you really believe this? Have you been so captured by the liberalism bent in this nation that you cannot see?

Heck, even the word "Liberal" has changed its meaning lately. PC run amok.

Be bold! Do not succumb to a PC world. Create your own reality. Do not bow to the mainstream, I challenge you. Please.

Think independently. If a term has changed its menaing due ot societal influences, why accept this?

If you truly beleive we are better off, culturally, than, say, 50 years ago when traditional values reigned, then you have truly been captured by the new "liberals".

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 11:56:02 AM »
Quite clearly you. You brought race into this as evidenced by your introductory statement. I, quite clearly, took it out.  As I said, "It [the article] isn't racist at all. It is just typical backlash victimisation with its typical hatred for the univeristy system. Not racist, just rubbish."

Considering how quickly Sowell's piece was castigated as racist, simply for daring to criticise "diversity", I was curious how quickly Williams' piece would be called racist.  At no time did I reference anyone's skin color.  That'd be you.  And now with the follow-up, I see where the real "chicanery" is coming from, implying that I'M the one looking to make this a racial, when you're the one bring up color of the author's skin, as if that had anything to do with anything.  

And your paltry comments that mimick "victimization of the media" when anyone criticises the overt (read; not subtle) bias in the mainscream media or in Academia is starting to wring hollow, I'm afraid.  Apparently when anyone dares to criticise a left leaning near monopoly, they're simply being victims.  IMHO, that tends to showcase the shallowness of those accusations, vs any validity

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 12:00:07 PM »
Js, do you really believe this? Have you been so captured by the liberalism bent in this nation that you cannot see?

"captured by liberalism"

Pray tell, what makes me a "liberal" professor?

Heck, even the word "Liberal" has changed its meaning lately. PC run amok.

Only in America does the word "liberal" have such an alternative and stupid meaning.

Be bold! Do not succumb to a PC world. Create your own reality. Do not bow to the mainstream, I challenge you. Please.

Create my own reality? I think that is part of the problem. I choose to live in reality my friend.

Think independently. If a term has changed its menaing due ot societal influences, why accept this?

What makes you think I do?

truly beleive we are better off, culturally, than, say, 50 years ago when traditional values reigned, then you have truly been captured by the new "liberals".

Oh, you mean the culture of 1956? By all means tell me what was better about 1956 than now Professor. I have an open mind and am willing to learn.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

The_Professor

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 12:23:20 PM »
An earleir timewhen Biblical precepts were followed more than today...we asa culture are slowly moving away from Biblical standards. Look, let's look at it form a secular viewpoint. An example: A reason why God says permarital sex is bad is not necesarily because He is Big and Bad and wants to ZAP you, it is because He know that many young people simply are not ready for the implications

Biblical precepts can be excellent guidance in this manner in many areas as well.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 12:36:47 PM »
An earleir timewhen Biblical precepts were followed more than today...we asa culture are slowly moving away from Biblical standards. Look, let's look at it form a secular viewpoint. An example: A reason why God says permarital sex is bad is not necesarily because He is Big and Bad and wants to ZAP you, it is because He know that many young people simply are not ready for the implications

So, it is your belief that Biblical precepts were more closely followed in 1956 than in 2006? Correct?

According to the National Center for Health Statistics there were 525,000 teen pregnancies in 1956 and that number has declined, though the total population has increased significantly. That means the rate of teenage pregnancy has dropped drastically over the past 50 years.

I realize why God speaks out against fornication Professor, but that doesn't answer my questions.

Why is 1956 society better than today's?

Why are you calling me a liberal?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

The_Professor

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 12:39:59 PM »
A question: do YOU see yourself as a liberal, in the venacular itis used presently?

The_Professor

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
"Why is 1956 society better than today's?"

Society was more Bibilically-oriented. Examine the Supreme Court at that time.

Look, JS, let me make it clear, tohguh, being very perceptive (and you are!), I am sure you grasped this some time ago:

I am trying, valiantly but unsuccessfully, to help to restrain the forces I feel are leading our culture away from Bibilical precepts. I relaize I will, and am, losing, but I still need to desparrately TRY. It is who I am. And I am happy with this.

I accept there are many that do not share this view and that is cool. Just because I happen to diagree with them (and YOU many times), doesn't mean I do not respect their character; I just feel that all this energy driving us away from Biblical precepts could be diverted to more worthwhile ends.

This is not to say that churches are the answer. Churches are filled with highly-flawed individuals like me and they, in turn, have failed much of society. I say "Look to the Creator, not his products". As an example, I took my beautiful bride to see "Flags of Our Fathers" yesterday. As we were coming back, we exited and noticed a homeless guy with a sign, asking for funds. My wife made the comment that it is so sad that churchers aren't taking care of his needs. I TOTALLY CONCUR! Churches, IMHO, has largely abducated thier roles in this area and perhaps others to the Government. Heresy, I say! :-)

Anyway, that is obviously where I am coming from. Please do not take this personally. One of the reasons I deliberately read your posts is because I find them thought-provoking and THAT, my friend, is priceless!

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
A question: do YOU see yourself as a liberal, in the venacular itis used presently?

No. What makes you think that I am.

Listen, I appreciate the complement. I know sometimes things get personal here and I'm as guilty as anyone for that. I certainly have respect for a lot of people here. There are a few people here (Chicky, Missus, Bt) that I've known for more years than any of us would care to admit!

I guess this is one fundamental area that I'll never agree with the more traditionalist minded people. While every generation and every age has its battles to fight and problems to face, I just don't see that there was this golden age of society in the 1950's (the most quoted time period) nor do I think that the generation that fought World War II was by any means the "Greatest Generation" (that speaks more to Brokaw's psychological frame of mind than historical accuracy).

I think there were a great deal of injustices in the 1950's and a great deal of advancements made since then. There have been a lote of stigmas overcome since the 1950's and yes, in some areas we probably have taken a wrong step or two, but that happens.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

domer

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 01:32:20 PM »
Regarding this degenerating "debate," the "liberal" orientation is a fundamental part of and essential to the American psyche. We cannot proceed without it. In the crucible that will determine our values and practices going forward, any America without a requisite amount of liberalism, properly defined, is an America that is heading for the shoals. Race plays into this superficially. I celebrate black political achievers like Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Bill Cosby and Mr. Steele in Maryland. By all appearances, I would love to have Steele as a friend, for example, because I respect him deeply ... except for his politics. I would, and I will in New Jersey, vote Democratic. I share this orientation with many blacks, due to their history and circumstances, who, when faced with a choice between hope and progress (as they adamantlyy see it), on the one hand, and the forces of a believed-to-be atavistic tradition, on the other, reliably respond in great numbers for progress. Like them, I believe this is not a time for "nuance," but a time to elect a team with a vision that incorporates our aspirations.