Author Topic: Welcome back Kimba.  (Read 1490 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Welcome back Kimba.
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:35:25 AM »
We kept the seat warm.  Don't ask how    ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Welcome back Kimba.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »
Thanks. This time i didn't read as many books. I read a ton of comics . A friend gave me a mess of  comics . Most enjoyable. I could of spent my time watching reality tv. I think i made the more intelligent choice.  Comics are expensive nowadays

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 01:12:56 AM »
 8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »
Comics are better than when they cost a dime, but they are a lot more expensive.

Reading comics that do not cost you anything is preferable to paying for them. The Miami Dade Public Library has quite a few graphic novels, and a HUGE manga collection.

Welcome back.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »
Thanks
I often checked out the comics in public libraries. Manga is something Ive yet been able to get into. I simply prefer american artwork.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »
The artwork in some mangas is really good. Others not so good.  I have read about half a dozen, and the plots did not make much sense so far as to the motivation of the characters. Perhaps it was just bad translation.  The translation was okay for interjections (whizz!  Pow!  Kerplunk!), but other wise, it seemed just weird.

The only one that was memorable was Ozama Tezuka's biography of Buddha.... in SEVEN volumes.

It was good enough that Pope John Paul II suggested that he do another about Jesus. But there was apparently some problem about royalties or the Pope being senile and I don't think it ever got done.

Of course, there is a LOT more about the Buddha than there is about Jesus. Buddha lived to be 80 or so, and there were no missing years.

The Tezuka books are really good, because there are dozens and dozens of Buddha legends, written by a variety of people in a variety of languages over a very long period. None of the stories were written by anyone who made any claims about being divinely inspired, of course, and the sequence of events is vague at best.  Miraculous acts are pretty rare, as Buddha was not into miracles.  I recommend Tezuka's manga highly. The English translation is great.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."