Author Topic: Caucasian Association for Harris County Deputies  (Read 2300 times)

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Caucasian Association for Harris County Deputies
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:27:41 PM »
Caucasian Association for Harris County Deputies
Updated: Tuesday, 13 Apr 2010, 11:07 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 13 Apr 2010, 11:07 PM CDT

KRISTINE GALVAN
Reporter
HOUSTON - In a quiet suburban neighborhood, longtime Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Daniel McCool, a married father of four, Is creating quite a stir.

"We knew there would be (reaction)," said Deputy McCool, founder of the Caucasian Law Enforcement Association. "Just not to the extent it's gone."

While it may sound like an 'Anglos only' club for sheriff's deputies, the Caucasian Law Enforcement Association is open to deputies of all races. McCool says its first member was a Hispanic female who signed up in February.

So why the sudden interest now?

It all started when McCool hit Harris County Commissioners Court to request automatic payroll deductions for his new group. Then he made the talk radio circuit and sparked a lot of debate.

McCool said he started his group because he is not happy about the hiring practices at the Sheriff's Office.

"The best qualified candidate should get the job," said McCool, "not those who know somebody or have friends in high places."

Sheriff Adrian Garcia was not available for comment, but a spokesperson issued a statement that read " hiring and promoting at the HCSO is done in accordance with civil services rules, non-discriminatory practices, and fairness and good sense."

McCool said he just wants fairness, but when you name a group after a certain race, you cannot really dodge the issue.

"i think certainly the Sheriff should be concerned," said Harris County Judge Ed Emmett. "You want your Sheriff's Department to be a unit, not separate entities that work in the same building and picks up patrol cars from the same location."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/100413-caucasian-group-for-harris-county-deputies
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Caucasian Association for Harris County Deputies
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »
If you want your sheriffs dept to be a unit then hire everyone based on the best qualified candidate regardless of looks, politics or religion. Since the inception of Affirmative Action the nation has been divided. Why wouldn't it cause division when inferior people are hired over superior people. Just hire the best qualified person not the black guy, the lesbian or the Mexican because of silliness called diversity. Diversity and Affirmative Action is what was behind the election of Obama and look at what a loser we got in Barry!

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »
<<Diversity and Affirmative Action is what was behind the election of Obama and look at what a loser we got in Barry!>>

OTOH, nepotism and Anglo genes didn't work out so well before him.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »
Welcome to the Balkans

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »
<<Welcome to the Balkans.>>

If everyone just ignored the racial dividing lines, the whole race problem would go away.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
Hyphens should be outlawed.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 10:59:01 PM »
It's easy to say that hyphens should be outlawed, but you have no idea what's lost when they are.  Whole cultures just vanish into the abyss.

I'm more in favour of some kind of middle ground.  I agree that the dangers of Balkanization are real and must be avoided at all costs.  OTOH, there's a certain amount of ethnic heritage that can be retained without necessarily Balkanizing the country.  And racial discrimination should not be the price of that retention.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »
Whole cultures just vanish into the abyss.

So that's what happened to the Aztecs. They lost their hyphen.

You crack me up.

OTOH, there's a certain amount of ethnic heritage that can be retained without necessarily Balkanizing the country.  And racial discrimination should not be the price of that retention.

Yeah that can be handled at the family level.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 12:02:37 AM »
<<Diversity and Affirmative Action is what was behind the election of Obama and look at what a loser we got in Barry!>>

OTOH, nepotism and Anglo genes didn't work out so well before him.

The point is there are highly qualified, experienced, educated, intelligent and gifted leaders that are black, white, Jewish, Latino, Asian etc over Obama. If we never had Affirmative Action Barry never would have made it to the party. We never would have known him and he would not have been elected. If I need brain surgery I want the gay, Latino, mass murderer as long as she graduated the top of her class, is board certified, and is the best of the best. I want the same for my president. I will be a little less picky about my garbage collector though. After all that is what we expect in our professional athletes!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 02:40:25 AM »
that`s an interest topic

it`s never been brought up about how he got his education.

was it through affirmative action?

and as a side question about education.

here in california it`s a given that asian pretty much earned whatever education they get.

my question is does the rest of the country think asians are can`t compete without affirmative action.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:55:10 AM »
<<Welcome to the Balkans.>>

If everyone just ignored the racial dividing lines, the whole race problem would go away.

And if pigs had wings they would fly. But pigs don't fly and people don't ignore race. Never have and never will. Lotsa luck basing your public policy on either proposition.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 07:27:49 AM »
<<And if pigs had wings they would fly. But pigs don't fly and people don't ignore race. Never have and never will. Lotsa luck basing your public policy on either proposition.>>

FYI, RD, that post you responded to was pure sarcasm.  The point I was trying to make was that affirmative action was necessary because people don't ignore race.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:19:03 AM »
<<The point is there are highly qualified, experienced, educated, intelligent and gifted leaders that are black, white, Jewish, Latino, Asian etc over Obama.>>

That's probably a statement you could make about any President, with the possible exception of FDR.  Harry Truman, minus the racially-inclusive verbiage, basically made it about himself.  The fact is, your system did not deliver to the electorate a choice between the most qualified, experienced, etc. candidates, you had in fact a choice between Barry and McCain.  Deal with it.  Live with it.

<<If we never had Affirmative Action Barry never would have made it to the party. >>

No, he would have been getting coffee for Bill Clinton.  You can't possibly prove what you just said, it's pure speculation.  McCain and his ditzy little running mate were not exactly geniuses, as I'm sure you've realized by now.   Obama seems to me like a pretty intelligent guy and regardless of what his detractors say, I like the way he speaks and handles himself in public.  If it's all due to a teleprompter, then fine, let his colleagues get their own teleprompters  and do better, but so far none of them seem to have been able to come up with such an easy fix.  The most that AA could have done for Obama was to bring him to the party, it sure as hell did not win him either the nomination or the election.  (Although to be fair, it was Dubya who won him the election.)  And I think AA should bring more people to the party, particularly the blacks, who were unfairly excluded from it for way too long by the same kind of racists who are now complaining that they are being let in now.

What gets people into the party anyway?  (I'm using "party" in continuation of  your metaphor, Kramer, not in reference to either the GOP or the Democrats, of course.)   We've seen how family connections and money do it - - Bush1, Bush2, FDR, JFK.  We've seen how good looks and Hollywood exposure do it - -  Reagan, Ahhhnold.  We've seen how dishonesty, lies and a willingness to abandon any ethical path for the sake of wealthy backers can do it - - Tricky Dick.  So let's not pretend that the party is some kind of A-list event where only the finest and purest of the nation can gain admittance.  People get in however they can, and basically what AA does is that it levels out the playing field somewhat as far as race is concerned.

<<If I need brain surgery I want the [onr who] graduated the top of her class, is board certified, and is the best of the best. >>

Yeah, welcome to the club.  And lotsa luck in finding her.  Whoever has the money will price her right out of your league and you'll be lucky to get the middle of the class.  Or if you're one of the uninsured, more like the bottom of the class.  If you lived in Canada, where they all get paid the same for doing the same kind of procedure, the best of the best is as likely to find herself working on an unemployed autoworker as on a multi-millionaire.  Why not?  Pays the same anyway.

<<I want the same for my president. >>

Well, back in the Real World, you seem to be doomed to an endless series of disappointments, then.  It seems in over two hundred years, you have not even been able to elect a woman President, as every other industrialized nation has managed to do, let alone the <<gay, Latino, mass murderer>> you say you would be willing to accept.  Seems like you are a little bit ahead of the pack on that one, Kramer.

<<I will be a little less picky about my garbage collector though. >>

What can I say?  Isn't that America?  Where any black, Puerto Rican, Mexican, or even native American Indian, can aspire to pick up the white man's garbage?

<<After all that is what we expect in our professional athletes!>>

Professional athletics are probably the only activity in America to have achieved a true meritocracy, although even there you have to wonder about sports such as ice hockey, which require such large investments in equipment and rink time from such an early age.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 08:31:19 AM »
<<So that's what happened to the Aztecs. They lost their hyphen.>>

You should look a little closer to home.  I know Americans who can't even pronounce their own last names properly or speak the language that it came from.

<<You crack me up.>>

That's only because you have a very limited perspective.  I was actually speaking seriously.

<<Yeah [retaining a certain amount of ethnic heritage without Balkanizing the country] can be handled at the family level. >>

That's right, it can.  So I guess you're prepared to allow a certain amount of voluntary hyphenation after all.  There are worse things.  I'm in favour of a modest amount of hyphenation, as long as it's kept within strict limits.  It should not, for example, influence the foreign policy of the nation.  It should not lead to inter-ethnic discrimination in public accommodation, employment, housing, etc.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »
actually garbage collecter is a extreme reverse.
meaning it take alot of incentives to get a good one.
goodpay, excellent benefits to get someone to do a low rep ,physically damaging job.
remember most folks will say they won`t do it and somehow  got the strange idea the pay shouldn`t be good.

don`t understand the thinking about crappy jobs should have crappy pay