Author Topic: Jewish-Hawaiian surfing guru donates surfboards to Gazans - LOL  (Read 936 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=895893&contrassID=1&subContrassID=1
By The Associated Press 

An 86-year-old Jewish surfing guru from Hawaii donated on Tuesday 12 surfboards to Gaza's small surfing community, in a gesture he hoped would get Israelis and Palestinians catching the same peace wave.

"God will surf with the devil, if the waves are good," retired doctor Dorian Paskowitz said Tuesday. "When a surfer sees another surfer with a board, he can't help but say something that brings them together."

Paskowitz emerged shirtless at the Israel-Gaza crossing after handing over the dozen boards to Gazan surfers waiting on the other side. He said he was spurred into action after reading a story about two Gaza surfers who couldn't enjoy the wild waves off the coast because they had only one board to share between them.

Arthur Rashkovan, a 28-year-old surfer from Tel Aviv, said Paskowitz's project was part of a larger effort called Surfing for Peace, aimed at bringing Middle East surfers closer together. He said eight-time world surfing champion Kelly Slater, who is of Syrian descent, is expected to arrive in Israel in October to take part in the drive.

Paskowitz, whom Rashkovan called a 'guru' to Israeli surfers, has surfed in Israel several times over the past five decades.

Paskowitz, a father of nine, served in the Navy during World War II, practiced family medicine for more than half a century and has published books on surfing and health. He said he's surfed for 75 years, in locations all over the world, and ranks the waves off the coasts of Israel and Gaza as among the world's best.

"It's really quite remarkable how good they are for modern surfing," he said.

yellow_crane

Re: Jewish-Hawaiian surfing guru donates surfboards to Gazans - LOL
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=895893&contrassID=1&subContrassID=1
By The Associated Press 

An 86-year-old Jewish surfing guru from Hawaii donated on Tuesday 12 surfboards to Gaza's small surfing community, in a gesture he hoped would get Israelis and Palestinians catching the same peace wave.

"God will surf with the devil, if the waves are good," retired doctor Dorian Paskowitz said Tuesday. "When a surfer sees another surfer with a board, he can't help but say something that brings them together."

Paskowitz emerged shirtless at the Israel-Gaza crossing after handing over the dozen boards to Gazan surfers waiting on the other side. He said he was spurred into action after reading a story about two Gaza surfers who couldn't enjoy the wild waves off the coast because they had only one board to share between them.

Arthur Rashkovan, a 28-year-old surfer from Tel Aviv, said Paskowitz's project was part of a larger effort called Surfing for Peace, aimed at bringing Middle East surfers closer together. He said eight-time world surfing champion Kelly Slater, who is of Syrian descent, is expected to arrive in Israel in October to take part in the drive.

Paskowitz, whom Rashkovan called a 'guru' to Israeli surfers, has surfed in Israel several times over the past five decades.

Paskowitz, a father of nine, served in the Navy during World War II, practiced family medicine for more than half a century and has published books on surfing and health. He said he's surfed for 75 years, in locations all over the world, and ranks the waves off the coasts of Israel and Gaza as among the world's best.

"It's really quite remarkable how good they are for modern surfing," he said.

That's one Jew.

I would like to hear from the remaining 4-7 million Jews residing in America.

Most especially, I would like to hear from them specifically about Liberalism in America, since no other element of our society has contributed so much to, and personally influenced what liberal philosophy is all about than the Jews.

Yet Liberalism ran the gauntlet and was pretty much beaten until it now can no longer walk.  The media cheerfully repeated every slur that trivialized the very word 'Liberal,' and offered almost no rebuttal in defense, even though it was stuff of the very rafters in their roofs. 

Were the Jews made to realize the great error of their sovereign Liberal philosphy?  Were there mitigating circumstances that made them turn 180? 

I do not know because I never heard a whisper.

Norman Mailer once pointed out that you will never read anything negative about Jews because they own almost all of the significant publishing houses, and their influence in Hollywood defined Hollywood and made common the understanding of Liberal philosophy.

I ask the remaining millions of Jews in America--account for your change of heart.

Reconcile your silence with your motto--"Never Again!!!"

gipper

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:23:10 PM »
That's fairly harsh, Crane. The Jews in Europe suffered at the hands of the "super-race," they did not become one. They're scared shitless at some profound level and for good reason. And yes, they've fucked up along the way (some Jewish scholars even calling the "overrunning" of Palestine an "original sin," and then we have the miscalculations of '67), but who can blame them, except, of course, for the Palestinians?

yellow_crane

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:39:02 PM »
That's fairly harsh, Crane. The Jews in Europe suffered at the hands of the "super-race," they did not become one. They're scared shitless at some profound level and for good reason. And yes, they've fucked up along the way (some Jewish scholars even calling the "overrunning" of Palestine an "original sin," and then we have the miscalculations of '67), but who can blame them, except, of course, for the Palestinians?

If you are not, I am sure that the Jews of America are well aware of their silence regarding much of what is going on in America in terms of what the rightwingers are calling 'cultural change.'

After all, this change really refers to the intellectual strata, in which the Jews have reigned for decades, and these decades coincidentally were what some have called America's zenith, its best years.
'
I lament for the loss of their contributions.  It is just that I have come, after all these years, to know that they will not sell the farm to embrace Dean Jones and Michael Medved cinema as art.

As I have stood and accused moderate American Christians of a failure of self and a failure of faith by remaining silent while the bully Christians terrorize the playground, I in turn call upon the Jews to step forward and say something of regard in this question, and not just another parrott whose expressions are all zealotic and zionistic.

The silence is a din of wails, as anywhere where art is stifled by the heels of the fascists, here or over there in Israel.

gipper

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:45:07 PM »
Yes, yes. And I invite you to say something authentic and intelligible, if not acute and intelligent.