Author Topic: To my friends on the left . . .  (Read 1950 times)

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
To my friends on the left . . .
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:39:38 AM »
Congratulations on your victory tonight.  It is indeed an historic evening.  My family all voted together today.  Even my son in Massachusetts happened to cast his vote around 9 AM when the rest of us voted.  My middle son lives a little south of us and waited from 7 AM when the polls opened until 8:45 to vote for Obama.  Of the other six of us, Three voted McCain and three Obama.  Our "swing vote" was my eldest, a Mitt Romney Republican who decided that it was time for change.    So if the Pooch family had an electoral vote it went Democrat.

McCain's gracious concession was followed by Obama's amazing speech.  It was a great night for America.  Obviously, I would have preferred another outcome, but your man won the night, and he deserved it based on his brilliant campaign.

As President-Elect Obama observed, this is not the end but only the beginning for his ideas.  Much of what he said was hopeful and encouraging.  That's a good thing given the economy and the political atmospherer that has prevailed over the last several years.  I hope his actions are as good as his stellar rhetoric.  If he leads the country like he has run this campaign we have much to be hopeful about.

As an added bonus, the voters of my current home state have put in the Senate former Governor Mark Warner.  He was a fine, bipartisan Governor who led Virginia so well (with a Republican legislature, I might add) that it was ranked as the best managed state in the union.  He briefly considered a Presidential run but dropped out of the race early.  I may well have been tempted to vote for him had he run.  As it is, the state of Virginia has gone blue and that is, perhaps, not such a bad thing.  A little warning, Virginia Democrats are a bit like Massachusetts Republicans.  They know, out of necessity, how to respect and work with the opposition.

And that, I hope, is where tonight will lead.  I have the audacity, and audicity it is, to hope that the new Democractic majority in Washington will not make the same mistake the Republican majority did in thinking that a call for change is a call to denigrate or just ignore the values, ideals and dreams of half off the country.  Obama said he will be our president.  I intend to support him as best I can.  I hope he will do te same for those of us on the right side of the aisle.

At any rate, congratulations.  I wish President-Elect Obama the best, and I hope he does NOT have the kinds of challenges that faced his predecessor.  I'll pray for him just as sincerely as I did for Bush.  And I'll keep praying for the country too.

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: To my friends on the left . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:56:18 AM »
Good post Pooch.

Time to let the dust settle a bit.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 04:50:16 AM »
I also liked Obama's speech , if he can make the themes of his speech the themes of his Presidency I will like his regime too.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
I also liked Obama's speech , if he can make the themes of his speech the themes of his Presidency I will like his regime too.

Heartening to hear that, Plane. I think Obama deserves a chance, now that he has managed to beat the odds and get elected.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:42:36 PM »
Hey, Pooch!  Good to see you again.

Not long ago I saw a behind-the-scenes thing about a young guy who was hired as a dancer in the newest Disney parade - the theme was Pirates of the Caribbean, and I believe this was filmed at Disneyworld. I was immediately reminded of your son; watching this show made me realize how difficult it is for those performers.  Their ability to be able to execute the choreography, handle the props and maintain the correct distance between dancers all while moving along the parade route takes an incredible amount of talent and stamina...they're really amazing.

I hope you're going to stick around...I enjoy reading your posts!

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:25:47 PM »
Thank you,  Pooch.
I have a neighbor who isn't thrilled about Obama but he's 80 years old and  he's a  very good neighbor.  I check on him every day, see if he needs anything from the store, etc.    He usually says, "I'm fine, I mowed  2 yards today already."
He kind of jokingly took me to task about my Obama yard sign. I told him I'd be happy to move it over yonder if that would be better, so he didn't have to see it.  "Oh no no!" he said.
He cut down some bushes for me and bundled them, to show he really didn't mean it.  I found this out when I got home, I had to ask around to find out who did the good deed. 
Thanks again for your post.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.