Author Topic: Republicans Dropped The Dime on Foley  (Read 7911 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Republicans Dropped The Dime on Foley
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:25:53 AM »
So, no Vast LEFT Wing Conspiracy here.

Looks like someone just wanted to do the right thing.  As opposed to Hastert and the gang who just took their $100,000 and kept their mouths shut in order to not have to spend millions defending Foley's seat this year.

Staying in power is more important than protecting teenagers from IM'ing pervs. 

ABC debunks claim that Foley scandal was election trick.

ABC’s Brian Ross “dismissed suggestions by some Republicans that the news was disseminated as part of a smear campaign against Mr. Foley,” the New York Times reports. “I hate to give up sources, but to the extent that I know the political parties of any of the people who helped us, it would be the same party,” Mr. Ross said, referring to Republicans.  8:20 am | Comment (4)

From http://thinkprogress.org/...

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Republicans Dropped The Dime on Foley
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 10:35:39 AM »
<p>And guess what else?
</p>
<p>&nbsp;They knew and didn't care.
</p>
<p>NOVAK says so.
</p>
<p>
</p>
<h3><a href="http://politicalwire.com/archives/2006/10/04/reynolds_convinced_foley_to_run.html" title="Reynolds Convinced Foley to Run"> Reynolds Convinced Foley to Run[/url]
</h3> Robert Novak reports that "even after House GOP leaders knew that Foley had written an inappropriate e-mail to a 16-year-old former male page, they were still urging him to seek re-election."

Novak writes: "A member of the House leadership told me that Foley, under continuous political pressure because of his sexual orientation, was considering not seeking a seventh term this year but that Rep. Tom Reynolds, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC), talked him into running."
<p>

&nbsp;
</p>

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 10:38:13 AM »
Interesting, though unconfirmed. Hearsay repeated is just hearsay.

And it still doesn't bring you any closer to proving that Hastert and Company knew about the IM's and thus were involved in a coverup.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:01:45 AM »
Dude,

Hastert knew enough a year ago.  So did Reynolds and all the rest.

They just didn't care as long as Foley didn't get caught.  Problem is, he got caught and his own team dropped a dime on him.

The house of cards is crashing in on you and the people you have supported and protected for five years +.

I'm not gloating, I'm just trying to point it out to you that I've been right all along.  They have wanted to keep power no matter what.  This isn't just the Foley thing crashing you guys' game.  It's Foley + Rice lying about Tenet's briefing (10 on a scale of 1 to 10) + Woodward's book (I won't withdraw even if its only Laura and Barney supporting me) + FOX having the story on Foley and not running it + FOX trying to make Foley out to be a Democrat + 100 attacks a day in Iraq that Bush lies about + Cheney STILL trying to say that there was a connection between Saddam and 9.11 + the bullshit stories that the ABC MOW tried to spread that Clinton somehow missed bin Laden numerous times + Clinton putting the smackdown on Chris Wallace.

And the election is next month.

Now this doesn't even get into the whole theory that even my extremely mild-mannered and level-headed wife is now considering that I put forth back just post-9.11 that the neo-cons are in collusion with the DLC types and all this GOP horror fest is just so these cultists can keep power under the guise of the Democratic brand.  Try getting your head around that one.

They work together throughout the Clinton years under the guise of triangulation and then they hand the whole thing over to the neo-cons who really want to invade Iraq and get their hands on as much resources as possible plus set up military bases that make world-domination easier and then in order to keep those people from being lynched by 2008, they start the slow implosion of the GOP so that when Hillary and the gang steal the '08 election no one will make one peep because who wouldn't vote the opposite of the people who protected a ephebophile?

If over the next two years, the GOP continues to slide down and down, I'll have no choice but to believe this to all be the absolute case.  The rabbit hole goes deeper than we think.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:05:16 AM »
Not to mention, BT...

But...

GOP members and staffers knew about Foley's behavior for over 11 years, former page says
by John in DC - 10/04/2006 12:12:00 AM

Washington Post

"Mark Foley knew that he could get away with this type of behavior with male pages because he was a congressman," [former page Mark] Beck-Heyman said. "But many people on Capitol Hill, including many high-level Republican staffers and members, have known for over 11 years about what was going on and chose to do nothing."

http://americablog.blogspot.com/

I'm sure you count this as hearsay or something that is good and hair-split.  Why not just admit they knew and didn't care?  In fact, that they worked to hide it from Dems?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »
So whoever it is that is makeing Foley retire , is makeing it public that Foley is speaking inappropriately to teens , and is telling Novack everything , is Republican?

Way to circle the wagons and defend the seat, party man.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »
Hastert knew enough a year ago.  So did Reynolds and all the rest.

And yet what Hastert knew about wasn't even enough for the St. Pete Times to run an expose on.

And Reynolds, Alexander and Shimkus all dealt with Foley based on what they knew, which was the emails to the Louisianna youth.

The GOP Leadership may have suspected Foley was Gay, but that wasn't reason enough to drive him out of the caucus.

Those type of witchhunts seem to be the province of the democrats.

Mucho

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 01:56:32 PM »
So whoever it is that is makeing Foley retire , is makeing it public that Foley is speaking inappropriately to teens , and is telling Novack everything , is Republican?

Way to circle the wagons and defend the seat, party man.

The fact that there is one decent and actually moral Repub in the world ( even though that DOES surprise me) does not mean that the rest of you did nat ( and are still doing it in here) circling the wagons to protect your own tax-cutting  pedophiles.( Duh)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 02:11:19 PM »
Where is this circle of waggons ?
I would like to see it .

Foley has done what President Clinton should have done when caught doing something simular and also breaking the law.

There was a circle of Waggons around Clinton , there was no circle of waggons around Nixon.

I don't see Foley being protected much , he is retired and in rehab , this seems like a good idea.

Do you think that the Democrats did the wrong thing for Clinton ? Clinton could have benefited from a little time in rehab.

Mucho

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 02:16:14 PM »
Where is this circle of waggons ?
I would like to see it .

Foley has done what President Clinton should have done when caught doing something simular and also breaking the law.

There was a circle of Waggons around Clinton , there was no circle of waggons around Nixon.

I don't see Foley being protected much , he is retired and in rehab , this seems like a good idea.

Do you think that the Democrats did the wrong thing for Clinton ? Clinton could have benefited from a little time in rehab.

THe only similarity between Bill and Foley can only be seen by a mind that still believes in WMD's and Al Quaeda ties in Saddam's Iraq. Bill had consenting sex with an adult female. He was not a perverted pedophile like Foley.
The Dems were right to not by into the Repub witch hunt and Bill was right to stay and fight and kick the Repubs perverted asses.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 04:25:11 PM »
"But as it turns out, the Mark Foley pedophilia sex scandal lacks two things: pedophilia and sex. The victim of Foley's electronic overfriendliness was not a pre-adolescent, but a 16-year-old; above the age of consent in D.C., and an age at which the average American moves from explicit IM exchanges to the real deal."

[...]

"...thanks to a culture Foley helped create, he has been portrayed as an alcoholic pedophile/adulterer/cybermonster hybrid as guilty as any predator beyond cyberspace. If the laws he helped to write are hopelessly clumsy, the circumstances of his political end couldn't be more perfect."

More at Reason Online
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Mucho

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 06:19:13 PM »
"But as it turns out, the Mark Foley pedophilia sex scandal lacks two things: pedophilia and sex. The victim of Foley's electronic overfriendliness was not a pre-adolescent, but a 16-year-old; above the age of consent in D.C., and an age at which the average American moves from explicit IM exchanges to the real deal."

[...]

"...thanks to a culture Foley helped create, he has been portrayed as an alcoholic pedophile/adulterer/cybermonster hybrid as guilty as any predator beyond cyberspace. If the laws he helped to write are hopelessly clumsy, the circumstances of his political end couldn't be more perfect."

More at Reason Online

The age of consent in Ca is 18 which is where the actual sex probably happened .

Leave it to you to support a pedophile because he passed laws against it.

If you really don't mind a 54 year old man soliciting sex from a 16 year old, why don't you send him your IM addy.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 06:45:49 PM »

========================================================================
Simular?   Similar, perhaps.

Clinton wasn't breaking the law with Monica. He was charged with lying about "having sex with that woman", and he did not have sexual intercourse with her, either, by the way.

What happened was that Monica, who was not breaking any laws, either, was illegally pressured to spill the beans by threatening her with bogus charges.

The real shame is that there is no special prosecutor to go after Juniorbush, Cheney and Rumsfeld who have done stuff that has caused people to DIE. Nothing Clinton was charged with caused anyone to die, or suffer, or even get a hangnail.

Have you noticed we have a spell checker?  You can post correctly spelled messages now, without even learning how to spell.

He should have admitted what he did, period, not resign.

I don't think that Foley would have been reelected had he not resigned, but he wasn't charged with any crime and didn't have to resign.  His name is still on the ballot, but people who vote for his name Will really be voting for some other guy.

I doubt that they will hold this seat, and to that I say, hooray.
The Republicans have already demonstrated that they are clueless as to how to run a country.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 07:17:35 PM »
Have you noticed we have a spell checker?  You can post correctly spelled messages now, without even learning how to spell.

I don't think that Foley would have been reelected had he not resigned, but he wasn't charged with any crime and didn't have to resign.  His name is still on the ballot, but people who vote for his name Will really be voting for some other guy.

Of course, it doesn't correct the problem of capitalizing words that should not be capitalized.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 07:53:53 PM »

The age of consent in Ca is 18 which is where the actual sex probably happened .

So you're condemning a man on a probably? You don't even know if there was an actual, physical sex act. Your case is pathetically weak.

Leave it to you to support a pedophile because he passed laws against it.

Who said I was supporting Foley? I didn't say that. And no, criticizing the complaints about Foley does not equal support. To point out that I am not supporting the man at all is one reason I included the second quote. I notice you seem to lack the skill to pick up on that. The man without a doubt deserves the public and political fallout he is getting, but that doesn't make him a pedophile. And frankly, I'd like to reserve that title for people who are actually proven to be pedophiles, not out of any respect for Foley (which I haven't got) but because I prefer words to have meaning. It makes clear communication much easier.

If you really don't mind a 54 year old man soliciting sex from a 16 year old, why don't you send him your IM addy.

Who said I don't mind? You have a genuine skill for making stupid assumptions, don't you?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 07:57:32 PM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--