Author Topic: Looks Like I have to do Your Job For you -- for inquiring small minds  (Read 20501 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looks Like I have to do Your Job For you -- for inquiring small minds
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »
Your question, Plane, says "when we own some things in common". I said, "The citizens of the U.S. do not collectively own the U.S. If the citizens collectively own the nation, [...] Because if the nation is owned collectively, [...] if the nation is owned collectively, [...] the idea of the nation being collectively owned." Is the difference between "some things" and "nation" not immediately obvious? Do I really need to expand on what I said for the mistake to become clear?

Navagable waters and most roadways ,even air lanes are communally owned and often this is the best alternative.

Are they, and why do you think such is the best alternative?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2010, 05:33:48 AM »
Does "nation " have ownership?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2010, 11:02:03 AM »
I don't think he gets it Plane.  Possibly, never will      :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »

Does "nation " have ownership?

No.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2010, 01:25:54 PM »
So sovereignty means nothing to you, apparently.  We don't own our nation...it just sort of...exists in the same time and place we exist.  A hole in the fabric of the space time & continuum
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »

So sovereignty means nothing to you, apparently.  We don't own our nation...it just sort of...exists in the same time and place we exist.  A hole in the fabric of the space time & continuum

So individual rights mean nothing to you, apparently. We are not, according to you, individuals with rights, individuals who own ourselves and our own property. According to you, we just exist to serve the collective.

What? You didn't say that? It's ridiculous to claim you meant that? What?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
The Constitution spells out our individual rights.  Or last time I checked

Next

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »

The Constitution spells out our individual rights.  Or last time I checked

Next

No, it doesn't. And it certainly does nothing to mitigate your apparent lack of support for the idea of individual rights.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2010, 02:43:15 PM »
Perhaps a quick check of the Bill of Rights might jog your memory on individual rights, and my dedicated support of them.  I'm still amazed though at your idea that someone has the right to enter any country they want, sovereignty be damned, if they reeeeaaaaaally need to better their lives.  Americans don't own America....who the hell are they to tell some non-american who can & can't enter their, ooops, not their country....a country that merely exists.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »
So, Sirs, anyone who is in the US legally can over to your house and use it for their needs?

That is what is meant by property being "owned" by the community.

Or do you have individual ownership of your property? Can you direct who is allowed to come onto your property and who is to stay off?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »
So, Sirs, anyone who is in the US legally can over to your house and use it for their needs?  That is what is meant by property being "owned" by the community.

And there you have the answer, fitted nicely in the question posed.  The home is owned by the individual.  America is owned by the "community" of American citizens.  Both with their own set of laws that protect their sovereignty

The analogy of the Country being owned by America to a home owner owning their own home, remains dead on

Or do you have individual ownership of your property? Can you direct who is allowed to come onto your property and who is to stay off?

Precisely, applying to the sovereignty of both the home property and Country

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2010, 03:49:46 PM »
And there you have the answer, fitted nicely in the question posed.  The home is owned by the individual.  America is owned by the "community" of American citizens.  Both with their own set of laws that protect their sovereignty

So, your home is not part of "America"?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »
 ???  Could have swore we clarified individual vs community.  Think of a box within a box. 1 BIG box and millions of little boxes in the 1 big box.  America is the big box, my home is one of the millions of individual boxes.  Both boxes with laws protecting their rights and reinforcing their sovereignty

Is that still not making sense?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
So, the country is an accumulation of the "small boxes"? Each of which is owned individually?

And no one really owns the "big box" (because it's really just an accumulation of little boxes, each of which is already owned)?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2010, 04:27:37 PM »
Americans own the Big Box called America.  (not sure why I'm repeating myself, as there is no conflict here)