Author Topic: Whose money is Social Security?  (Read 948 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Whose money is Social Security?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 06:57:37 AM »
Wouldn't cancelling cause a bigger problem. It would mean the government will immediately owe massive amount of money to us.

Hehehe.

More seriously , there is not much potential for canceling it , I do not expect this to even be proposed in congress.

But how indeed would cancelation be more disruptive than allowing it to run the course it is on?>>>> Supposing I am right and it is on course to insolvency?

What I really expect is for it to be saved by repeated reductions in benefits, much less disruptive than cancelation , though it eventually amounts to the same thing benefit wise, what will never be canceled or reduced is the tax.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:42 AM »
I would allow the 40 years of contribution I have already given to be forgot and call it even , what do you say?

===========================================================
Yeah, fine with me, tell them I said it was okay. I am sure you will have no problem.
They will continue to take deductions from your paycheck, of course.
If you do not wish to apply for SS, you are not forced to do so.

Many people, probably including myself, could have invested the money and gotten a better return on it, IF AND ONLY IF that person had the knowledge when they signed up at 16 or so for that better investment.

When I was 16, I knew NOTHING about investing money.  Most of what I thought I knew was wrong. My father said, "never invest in anything that is not 100% insured".  If I knew THEN what I knew NOW, yeah, sure. But the fact is I didn't.

I cashed in my three years retirement contributions  in the Washington State system to go to grad school. That turned out to be a good investment. But it wouldn't be if I had invested in some for-profit ultra expensive mickeymouse "university" as exist today.

Social Security will be with us for a long time.  Voting for asshole Republican'ts is the worst thing that one could do.

I used the word "fraud" because "Christians" used it. Social Security is not a fraud and never was a fraud.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
  Social Security is not well.

Trends are running the wrong way for it.

The absolute worst thing to do about it is to resist all change and ignore the problem, like a patient who thinks his cancer can't get worse if it isn't ever treated or even looked at.

I don't think anyone should worry that SS will be closed in an orderly way, that would be bad for a lot of us but could be managed.

I am more worried that it could fail the way our big banks did a few years ago , by failure of confidence and credit. That would be a crash big and bad enough to be bad for 100% of us.

I am sure that SS will reduce benefits, that is absolutely unavoidable no matter who gets elected , even President Clinton reduced benefits to stretch the landing this isn't sudden it has been getting reduced for years.