Author Topic: The ugly side of Big Labor  (Read 1246 times)

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The ugly side of Big Labor
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »
The ugly side of Big Labor

On July 10, three Chicago-area Alderwoods funeral homes were viciously vandalized. All were Dignity Memorial network facilities that had also been targeted for a strike by local Teamsters.

Teamsters Local 727, which represents 16 Alderwoods embalmers, drivers and funeral directors, had been negotiating with the company that owns the homes after their labor contract expired June 30. The union complained that the other side had bargained in bad faith and had "?proposed a three-year wage freeze and a company health care package that is more expensive and less comprehensive than the union's health and welfare benefits," reports the Chicago Sun-Times. And so the Teamsters targeted four funeral homes for strike.

Then ? shock! ? the funeral homes got trashed. As company spokeswoman Jessica McDunn explained, "Three of those four funeral homes were vandalized ? with vulgar profanity, broken windows, damage to the front door and damage to an associate's car."

Naturally, the union is denying any responsibility, and it wisely put the strike on hold following the incidents. "We certainly don't condone that kind of behavior," said Teamsters' spokeswoman Maggie Jenkins.

Making union protestations of innocence hard to believe were nasty fliers bearing a Teamsters banner, pictures of which have popped up all over the Internet, warning ominously: "Any family that makes arrangements with a Chicago-area Dignity Memorial funeral home during this time may encounter a labor dispute at the location."

Even assuming no union connection to the vandalism, the explicit threat to disrupt funeral services is shockingly tasteless. But such tactics are the bread and butter of unions. And it seems to have worked; on July 12, after the vandalism, both sides came to an agreement "with no changes in the health plan," reportstheChicago Tribune.

But funeral homes, like a lot of businesses, can these days ill afford those lavish, union-negotiated benefits, and they are not alone; state and local governments all over the country are groaning under the burden of unsustainable union contracts, which force higher taxes, reduced services or both.

Look at Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel: Good liberal though he is, Mr. Emanuel has been forced to lay off some 625 city employees and delay much-needed sidewalk and gutter repairs because labor leaders representing city workers wouldn't budge on work-rule changes the mayor needs to help shore up the city's coming $700 million operating shortfall.

"My duty as mayor is to protect our city's taxpayers and be their voice ? not to protect the city's payroll," Mr. Emanuel admirably proclaimed.

Much like the city of Chicago, businesses such as Alderwoods funeral homes are faced with tough decisions. They can cut services, lay off workers or go out of business. Union demands, which have piled benefit obligations for decades on both private and public institutions, have seen to it that there is no fourth alternative.

Liberals have a romantic view of Big Labor's contribution to America, which goes something like this: In the bad old days, workers were forced to labor in unsafe or unsanitary conditions for subsistence pay, until unions came along and pushed for reforms that helped make work safer and more rewarding.

There is some truth to this narrative. But there is another, darker side to Big Labor, a movement historically enthralled by Marxist thought and entwined with organized crime, where standing up for workers too often translates into hatred of business in general and an antipathy toward economic freedom.

The ruinous consequences of such a movement run amok in our society can be seen in the smashed windows of a funeral home ? and the empty coffers at City Hall.

Matt Patterson, a Rockville resident, is senior editor at the Capital Research Center and a contributor to "Proud to Be Right: Voices of the Next Conservative Generation." He can be reached at mattpattersononline.com.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-unions-20110808,0,5659136.story
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The ugly side of Big Labor
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »
How dare anyone interfere with a mammoth chain of funeral homes!

They are among the most beloved of all US corporations? Who could not love someone that makes a 400% markup on a casket?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
How dare anyone interfere with a mammoth chain of funeral homes!

They are among the most beloved of all US corporations? Who could not love someone that makes a 400% markup on a casket?

Extortion is extortion, no matter how you dress it up.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »
Extortion is the chief business of funeral homes, and the chains in particular. This is merely extorting the extorters.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »
Nonsense.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »
Extortion is the chief business of funeral homes, and the chains in particular. This is merely extorting the extorters.

People like you, that are too lazy and unimaginative, are jealous of people that are more successful than you. That is why liberalism tries to level the playing field and make everybody the same. Basically liberals are losers in life.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »
You are the biggest loser I have ever had the displeasure to know.

Most ignorant people are not proud of being so lame.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
I heard this one a little while ago;

Being in favor of jobs but against business is like being pro-egg and anti-chicken.

Unions can be a good thing , but why does union leadership think that most modern American laborers vote against unionisation?

If the good that they do were the whole story no one would vote against .

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »
Extortion is the chief business of funeral homes, and the chains in particular.
This is merely extorting the extorters.

Do you really live in such a fantasy land?
Condoning criminal acts because you don't
"like" an industry? Yeah that would be a
great way to have a society.

You refer to Kramer as "ignorant",
but maybe you should look up the definition of "extortion".
Vandalism is a crime, running/owning a funeral home is not.
Funeral homes are a legal business licensed by the state.

Your pretend fantasy land that it is OK to commit crimes
against funeral homes because you think they are "too profitable"
is typical of control freak liberals who remain silent when Hollywood
actors/movies make insane profits!(more than 400%)

It's OK when Leftist/Communists like Michael Moore or
George Soros make 400% profits...just not funeral homes!
(btw i bet most funeral homes have lower profit margins than Microsoft)
It's always the same story......
Liberals condemn/demonize others for what they do themselves.
It's ok for Jane Fonda and Al Gore to cruise around in private jets,
but lets hammer businessmen that do.
 ::)
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:15:17 AM »
I am pro-union,but even I have limits. I seriously wish they pick their battles. They protect one guard who clearly committed assault and the defense was he's off duty. Thankfully the union loss that case.

P.s. We suspect for the past year one guard will literally go postal and shoot up the museum. How does one report this and not get in trouble? I do believe theirs no way to report this.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
We suspect for the past year one guard will literally go postal and shoot up the museum. How does one report this and not get in trouble? I do believe theirs no way to report this.

==================================================
How could you be a museum guard and NOT report some other guard shooting up the place?

Most of all the postal workers who "went postal" years ago were Vietnam vets who has untreated PTSD and were hired because vets got preference in hiring.

Somehow, guarding a museum does not strike me as being a very high stress job.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »
  Who is in charge of reading the suggestion box?
   Opening the mail?

Is there someone in the administration that is mature and responsible?

Let them know annonomously if you must, in person if you trust.

This week we had a crane drop its load, we are lucky that you are not reading about my building on the headlines , something like "EVEN DOZEN AIRCRAFT MECHANICS SQUISHED".
           Nobody was hurt by dint of dumb luck.

Intelligence might have helped, several of the mechanics involved said that the sling looked wrong to them, but they didn't want to contradict the supervisor or the engineer.

I am not an investigator , but from the scuttlebut , I guess that the engineers instructions included a typo, said left when it should have said right.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
well the guard in question was in the military. he braged about it all the time. I`d report it if I knew anything would be done about it and it would not backfire on me or the suspected guard. remember it`s just spectulation.

this is a tricky situation which the said guard should get help even if he does or does not shoot up the place. but such a report can easily be a all negative response. the subject here is about unions and likely he`ll be protected and despite the museum had already one volunteer got crazy and hit people. I very much doubt people will connect the dots.

actually the museum is high stress due to the folks in charge see no reason to be gentle with the staff. many jobs that seem easy can be very stressful. I did a blood pressure test on 2 guards last week and they both are over 170/90. thats near my average before i was hospitalized. I`m betting the "you should be happy to have a job" attitube does very little on the stress levels