Author Topic: How much is YOUR house worth?  (Read 5038 times)

Cynthia

How much is YOUR house worth?
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »
www.Zillow.com

Great site!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How much is YOUR house worth?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:37:46 AM »
in san francisco
very possible for that price
but noway will I find a buyer for that price
it scarey how easy it is to see my roof

Cynthia

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:16:34 PM »
in san francisco
very possible for that price
but noway will I find a buyer for that price
it scarey how easy it is to see my roof

I know the view you get on this site is better than the one from "Google earth.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:18:49 AM »
The view is better, but Zillow's photos of my house were taken in 2006, before I built my new carport or repaired the old one.
 I am thinking to paint the flat part of my roof white and then write the house number on it with black paint.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:47:59 AM »
I get a better view of my house from Google Earth, plus I can use the street view, which doesn't work on Zillow. However, Google Earth doesn't show that my house is now worth twice as much as what I paid for it ten years ago.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Cynthia

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »
I get a better view of my house from Google Earth, plus I can use the street view, which doesn't work on Zillow. However, Google Earth doesn't show that my house is now worth twice as much as what I paid for it ten years ago.

Wow, on Zillow I can practically see my pillows on the porch swing. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:42:05 PM by Cynthia »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »
No matter what Zillow says, your house is worth precisely what you can sell it for. Perhaps more, perhaps less.
It is a worthwhile website, and probably more accurate than what a broker might tell you to induce you to sign for an exclusive sales contract.

In most cases, I think a person should make their house as presentable as possible, and then strive to sell it without a broker. If my house is actually worth $200K, it would surely be worth between $7K and $14K to try this before enlisting a broker. Every buyer knows, or at least should know that (a) no broker adds anything to the actual value of a house, and (b) in practical terms, that 7% commission will be added to the END of the mortgage, and therefore you will pay more interest on that extra amount than for the rest of the house.

Cynthia

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 01:07:38 AM »
No matter what Zillow says, your house is worth precisely what you can sell it for. Perhaps more, perhaps less.
It is a worthwhile website, and probably more accurate than what a broker might tell you to induce you to sign for an exclusive sales contract.

In most cases, I think a person should make their house as presentable as possible, and then strive to sell it without a broker. If my house is actually worth $200K, it would surely be worth between $7K and $14K to try this before enlisting a broker. Every buyer knows, or at least should know that (a) no broker adds anything to the actual value of a house, and (b) in practical terms, that 7% commission will be added to the END of the mortgage, and therefore you will pay more interest on that extra amount than for the rest of the house.

Location, Location, Location is also a huge key point for sell.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:45:19 AM »
Every buyer knows, or at least should know that (a) no broker adds anything to the actual value of a house, and (b) in practical terms, that 7% commission will be added to the END of the mortgage, and therefore you will pay more interest on that extra amount than for the rest of the house.

The broker brings more potential customers to your house.

The SELLER pays the broker's fees.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
Every buyer knows, or at least should know that (a) no broker adds anything to the actual value of a house, and (b) in practical terms, that 7% commission will be added to the END of the mortgage, and therefore you will pay more interest on that extra amount than for the rest of the house.

The broker brings more potential customers to your house.

The SELLER pays the broker's fees.

======================================
Suuuuuuuure he does. And I have this bridge to Manhattan to sell you. There is only ONE lump of money on the table and it comes from the buyer, That crap about how the seller pays the commissions is just a fiction of the real estate industry. ALL the money comes from the buyer. The seller can eat the commission if he is a dolt, or simply because he is desperate because he just bought another house and can't make two payments. This is known to the broker, who tells the buyer how desperate the seller is.

Let's say there is a house that a broker sells for $207,000.
Of this, the broker takes $7,000 in commission. Usually they split this several ways, but the buyer pays $207,000, and then the seller takes $7,000 and pays the broker.

Now if the buyer has no broker, and they make a deal for $203,500, then the seller pays $3,500 less, and the buyer gets $3,500 more. Both benefit by the absence of the broker.

Even if the seller sells for $200,000, the buyer is no worse off. He still gets $200,000.

The broker does not contribute diddly to the value or utility of the house.

The higher percentage of commissions that are paid to brokers, the more all buyers will have to pay for homes. The broker is basically a parasite, and the role is rarely symbiotic.

Unless they are certifiably incompetent, all sellers should list their houses first without a broker. A company like Buy Owner can provide listings, as can the internet.
--------------------
When I bought my first house, I only looked at houses for sale by owner that allowed me to assume the mortgage and avoid the useless "closing cost" points (ie bribe to the bank to give the loan) .

Some friends recommended "excellent realtors". Not one of these schmoes would show me a house that was not several thousand more than my upper limit, nor would any of them tell me the square footage or even the school district. They all knew people that would be happy to loan me money at 10%, plus 5 points. This was in 1977, and the loan I assumed was for $8.5 and no points. Eventually I told the realtors that I didnt need any more help, and the most persistent I simply made appointments with I deliberately refused to keep, and that caused them to leave me the Hell alone.

Once I bought a beautiful sofa for only $100. The only problem was, it was not made for actual humans. It was made for realtors to use in demonstrating homes at developments, and was only 7/8th scale or perhaps smaller, and the wood frame was not very durable. It was the most uncomfortable damn sofa I have ever owned, and after a year the wood frame broke when a rather large friend came a-visiting. Crash! the damn thing split down the middle.

AS I said, it LOOKED beautiful. And I did not know that they even made smaller furniture so that some jackass realtor could give the impression that the rooms in the development were really smaller than the looked.

Many things that realtors do, suck. Like used car salesmen, they are essentially parasites.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 01:35:38 AM »
Realtors generally represaent the seller but unless the realtor is very contientious he is motivated mostly to sell quickly and get on with another sale as soon as possible.

When people move for a job oppurtunity they may not have time to show the house themselves so there is a real use for realtors , but if there is time to do it I would rather FSBO.

http://www.fsbo.com/

http://www.forsalebyowner.com/

http://www.homesbyowner.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_sale_by_owner

If you hire a broker and he turns out to be a dud you are stuck with him even if you sell it yourself, so be carefull.

If you FSBO you run the risk of not demanding the right price and leaveing with a lot less money than you could have had, the fix for that is to hire a house examiner to look it over and render an appraisal.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos125.htm

http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/examinations/supervisory/insights/siwin04/examiners_desk.html

http://www.pathwayappraisals.com/home

One time I was buying a house and I was suspicious of the air conditioner. I hired a Heating and Air contractor to give it a look and he found that the system was wrecked and dangerous , I got the price lowered the amount of basic repairs and bought an insurance policy to cover it in case it failed after the repair.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 09:26:23 AM »
I suppose some people might need a realtor some of the time.

Realtors do their best to try to convince people that people need one ALL of the time.

Here in Florida, it is difficult to find a fsbo house, because most are listed.
Something like 5% of the realtors sell 95% of the houses. There are droves of totally incompetent chuckleheads that have broker's licenses.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »

this is where i live, it ain't on zillow, and it's all George Bush's fault!

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 10:26:18 AM »
Realtors generally represaent the seller but unless the realtor is very contientious he is motivated mostly to sell quickly and get on with another sale as soon as possible.
====================================================
Realtors, in reality, do not represent the sellers, although it is in their contract.

They represent the buyers only to the degree that they inform the buyer about the truth about what he is buying: the price, the square footage, zoning, schools, etc.

You can always depend on a realtor to represent his own best interests. When he knows that he must sell that house this month or the contract will expire and he won't get diddly, that is when this becomes crucial. Of course, there are so many incompetent realtors that do this as a part time job and know nothing useful about buyers, sellers or real estate at all, then anything can happen, contracts will lapse and the owners will get screwed.

The buyers who can pay 100% of what it is worth, but can't afford 100% plus that commission also get screwed.