Author Topic: Bill  (Read 8834 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bill
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »
Bill Cosby on Obama and Guns

I often agree with Bill Cosby, I respect him a lot, even when I don't agree with him.

In this clip he seems to say that having a gun in hand engenders a bad attitude, and leads to bad decisions.

I think that being helpless also engenders a bad attitude and bad decisions, all in all I would rather have the choice.

So I disagree ,but my respect is undiminished.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Bill
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »
It would be unusual for even a gun owner to be confronted by a bad guy with a gun. The real world does not reflect the movie scenario of Tombstone, Arizona in the time of the Earps and the Clantons. Even Tombstone at that time was not as portrayed most of the time.

Cosby's son was murdered with a gun, so I think his opinion here is a lot more valid than that of pistol-packing sirs, and I think that Cosby did the logical thing in losing his gun, as opposed to running out and buying more guns on the theory that one mucy follow the NRA fashion trends of the moment.

I agree with everything Cosby said 100% about President Obama.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:03:02 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
It would be unusual for even a gun owner to be confronted by a bad guy with a gun.

It's also unusual for a home owner to be confronted with a home on fire.  Doesn't mean you don't take steps to prevent such an unlikely event from occuring, be it insurance, and other preventative measures such a smoke detectors and fire extiguishers.

I respect Mr Cosby incredibly, even when he's wrong on an issue, which is also very rare
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are entirely justifiable.

One never hears about lethal fire extinguisher and smoke detector accidents. That would be the significant distinction.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
You keep making my point.  They're justifiable as fas as you say.  It's not your say.  It's the say of the homeowner.  If he choses not to insure his home or use such devices, you'd be claiming how unsafe or unwise he was being. 

Point being the person that chooses to use a firearm for remote possibility of self defense is no different than the person who chooses to use fire extingusiers and smoke alarms in the remote possibility of a fire
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:03:39 PM »
There is NO DOWNSIDE to having a fire extinguisher or a smoke detector.

There is a downside to owning a gun , which is also more expensive and much less likely to protect said family: it is only useful when it is in your hand. When threatened, this could be difficult.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
There is NO DOWNSIDE to having a fire extinguisher or a smoke detector.

Sure there is, both could malfunction, one could be used to hit someone with, and cause a great deal of injury, depending on how heavy the fire extinguishser is, etc., etc.   Point being, it's the person's choice in how to protect themselves and their home, per their say, not yours

There is a downside to owning a gun

And there's a huge upside...defending one's family from possible death or rape, depending on the bad guy's intentions, not to mention its a constitutional right. 

There's always going to be pros and cons to decisions made.  Even good decisions lead to bad outcomes, just as some bad decisions could lead to good outcomes.  Point being, its the person's chice regardles of your rationalizations of what's justifyable vs what's not

Choosing to use a firearm to defend oneself is no different than choosing to use a fire extingusher to protect one's home.  Simple as that

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:34:29 PM by sirs »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »
simplistic, not simple.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 06:54:56 PM »
naaa, Freedom & freedom of choice, is actually a pretty simple concept.  As is the Bill of Rights

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »
The Bill of Rights does not make guns lethal and smoke detectors and fire extinguishers safe.

No law can make guns safe. The more guns there are in a country, the more people will get shot.

We COULD handle it as the Swiss do and still have the guns, but this won't happen because of nuts like LaPierre.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
You're all over the ballpark on that one.  Try again with a more coherent approach. 

And FYI, LaPierre wasn't there to write the constitution, so you can hardly blame him.  You need to blame the founders, for their damn clear reference that the right to bear arms is an individual right.   So when you get a chance, amend the Constitution, as it was designed to be, if its so "outdated" and not to your personal liking.  You're going to need a few more folks than just you and Bsb to do that I'm afraid.  Better get busy and start recruiting.  A few more million of you, might make it happen.  Good luck with that

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
The Bill of Rights does not make guns lethal and smoke detectors and fire extinguishers safe.

No law can make guns safe.
Amen. You should tell everyone this
The more guns there are in a country, the more people will get shot.
No this has been subjectively disproven , no two ways about it.
We COULD handle it as the Swiss do and still have the guns, but this won't happen because of nuts like LaPierre.
What exactly would you like us to do alike to the Swiss?
I don't think a monocromatic population is an option we have, so you must be talking about something elese.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
All guns and ammo are strictly registered and controlled. The Swiss government knows who has what and how many.

I do not believe that skin color has anything to do with this.

And countries with fewer guns have much less gun violence. THAT is what has been proven.

NRA has a bunch of phoney statistics, limited to this country that are simply not credible.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »
All guns and ammo are strictly registered and controlled. The Swiss government knows who has what and how many.

PRECISELY why it won't work here

And countries with fewer guns have much less gun violence. THAT is what has been proven.

And what's been proven here is that areas with less restrictive gun laws have less violent crime compared to areas with far stricter.  What's also been proven is that more lives are saved in this country using a gun, than those taken by a gun.  Its amazing how you'll pull other country's stats, but ignore our own.

NRA has a bunch of phoney statistics, limited to this country that are simply not credible.

It's not the NRA's stats, it's those non credible agencies referred to as the Justice Dept and FBI.....those bastards

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »
The effing NRA does not want ANY statistics on guns to be released by the government and has pressured congress people to prevent this from being done.