Author Topic: Gee, King George said this was such a vital tool in the WOT...  (Read 5143 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gee, King George said this was such a vital tool in the WOT...
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 07:54:37 AM »
We don't have to have a list of anyone who was harmed.  It doesn't rest upon us to prove we were harmed.

When was the last time you heard of a person being charged with a crime, when there wasn't a victim who filed a police report or a body?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 10:07:39 AM »
You would really rather that he wasn't trying to protect the American people?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Er, well, no.
Juniorbush has not proven to be competent at anything else. Everything this clown touches turns to crap.
He did not manage to do anything about Social Security. His war is a total disaster. The economy is a shambles. There is no immigration policy. NOTHING HE TOUCHES WORKS.

HELLO?  Anyone home?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
When was the last time you heard of a person being charged with a crime, when there wasn't a victim who filed a police report or a body?

We have arrests for prostitution, soliciting, and gambling all the time, not because some victim filed a police report, but in sting operations and general sweeps by the police. I can't nail the last time I heard of any of these down precisely, but it was probably in the last week or so.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »
not because some victim filed a police report, but in sting operations and general sweeps by the police.

In those cases, the complainant was the police officer conducting the sting or sweep (or random traffic stop...), ie, "the victim."

Note that if the police officer fails to appear in court for arraignment or trial, the charges are dropped.

Of course, I consider most of those to be unconstitutional anyway...  8)
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 01:21:47 PM »
Lanya:
I have heard that he refers to it as "just a piece of paper."

BT:
Source

Bush on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper'

Capital Hill Blue/DOUG THOMPSON | December 9 2005

Last month, Republican Congressional leaders filed into the Oval Office to meet with President George W. Bush and talk about renewing the controversial USA Patriot Act.

Several provisions of the act, passed in the shell shocked period immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, caused enough anger that liberal groups like the American Civil Liberties Union had joined forces with prominent conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Bob Barr to oppose renewal.

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the act could further alienate conservatives still mad at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted. “I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

I’ve talked to three people present for the meeting that day and they all confirm that the President of the United States called the Constitution “a goddamned piece of paper.”

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 01:28:05 PM »
I've talked to four people who said Doug Thompson was a paranoid delusional and made up the whole story.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 01:41:19 PM »
I've talked to four people who said Doug Thompson was a paranoid delusional and made up the whole story.

May be. But you asked for a source, so I gave you one. I don't call them up and try to psychoanalyze them.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 01:53:08 PM »
I don't call them up and try to psychoanalyze them

Seems most of Doug Thompsons work involves just that.