Author Topic: Romney camp consulted with Mormon leaders  (Read 1986 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Romney camp consulted with Mormon leaders
« on: April 03, 2007, 02:00:10 PM »
Eyes nationwide network to aid White House bid

By Scott Helman and Michael Levenson, Globe Staff  |  October 19, 2006

SALT LAKE CITY -- Governor Mitt Romney's political team has quietly consulted with leaders of the Mormon Church to map out plans for a nationwide network of Mormon supporters to help Romney capture the presidency in 2008, according to interviews and written materials reflecting plans for the initiative.

Over the past two months, Romney's political operatives and church leaders have discussed building a grass-roots political organization using alumni chapters of Brigham Young University's business school around the country. More recently, representatives of BYU, which is run by the church, and Romney's political action committee have begun soliciting help from prominent Mormons, including a well-known author suggested by the governor, to build the program, which Romney advisers dubbed Mutual Values and Priorities, or MVP.

The president and prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Gordon B. Hinckley, has been made aware of the effort and expressed no opposition, the documents show, and at least one other top church official has played a more active role.

Church officials and Romney advisers downplayed the discussions. Church officials say they have a position of strict neutrality on political matters and are not supporting Romney's candidacy.

But documents indicate that Jeffrey R. Holland, one of 12 apostles who help lead the church worldwide, has handled the initiative for the Mormons and that he hosted a Sept. 19 meeting about it in his church office in Salt Lake City with Josh Romney, one of the governor's sons; Don Stirling, a paid consultant for the Commonwealth PAC, Romney's political action committee; and Kem Gardner, a prominent Salt Lake City developer who is one of Romney's biggest donors. Globe reporters observed Romney's representatives enter and leave chuch headquarters for the meeting.
{}
Prior to the Sept. 19 meeting, Gardner had already met with Holland at least once to discuss the initiative, documents show.

Holland, a former BYU president, suggested using the alumni organization of the university's business school, the BYU Management Society, to build a network for Romney, according to the documents. Such a plan would give Romney an established infrastructure -- the alumni group has 5,500 members in about 40 US chapters -- for raising money and generating support.

Eight days later, Stirling, Spencer Zwick, a top political aide to Romney, and the governor's brother, Scott Romney, held a dinner at a private Salt Lake City club for other prominent Mormons, where they discussed the effort further. Among those invited were Steve Albrecht, associate dean of the BYU business school, the Marriott School of Management.

On Oct. 9, Albrecht and Ned Hill, the business school dean, sent an e-mail to 50 Management Society members and 100 members of the school's National Advisory Council asking them to join them in supporting Romney's potential bid for the presidency. Hill and Albrecht signed the message with their official BYU titles, sent the e-mail from a BYU e-mail address, and began the message ``Dear Marriott School Friend."
[]
Federal restrictions
Both the church and BYU, as tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations, are prohibited by federal law from advocating on behalf of a particular candidate or political party.

The church's director of media relations, Michael R. Otterson, called ``nonsense" the suggestion that church leaders were working to promote Romney.
[]
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/10/19/romney_camp_consulted_with_mormon_leaders/
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Romney camp consulted with Mormon leaders
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:07:05 PM »
I wonder if Hillary has quietly consulted with liberal leaders and mapped out plans for a nationwide network of liberal supporters to capture the presidency?

I wonder if sounds as nerfarious as this made out to be?

Sounds like what was said about Kennedy and the RC Church.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
I do not see any problem here. There is a large base of supporters here, so why not tap into it, if possible?

Conspiracy theories will abound anyway, regardless what he does or doesn't do...

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 05:30:52 PM »

And..............................?       ???

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:57:19 PM »
No problem, if there's no tax-exempt-related problems. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 06:13:51 PM »
No problem, if there's no tax-exempt-related problems. 

You mean like with the NAACP?  NOW?  NEA?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 07:12:06 PM »
The LDS Church has oodles of money, and would like to elect a president, because it would mean that more people would join the Church, and even more would cease thinking of them as a rather wacky cult with a bizarre history and  a reputation of being male chauvinists and polygamous weirdos.

Think of this as something like South Korea or China wanting to host the Olympics.

All I can say is that if you don';t want a Mormon president, don't vote for one.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

The_Professor

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 07:22:45 PM »
But weren't the same things said about John F. Kenny? I remember comments about the Pope now controlling things in the U.S. and so on.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:35:05 PM »
My guess is that the Mormon Church would have a greater influence over Romney than the Pope ever had over Kennedy.

The Catholic Church is a much more diverse organization than the LDS Church.
Kennedy was third generation Irish-American  and Pope Pius was an Italian who spoke little English. Kenneduy was hardly anything close to being a good Catholic.

Both Romney and the LDS elders and Prophet are English-speaking Americans.

The LDS Church would be unlikely to seek anything as inconveniencing to most non-Mormon Americans as the Catholic Church might wish to impose on the country if it had the power.

The RC Church has favored an end to abortions, capital punishment, and Church takeover of public schools and cemeteries in some Catholic nations, as well as a banning of BC pills and contraceptives.

The Mormons have never tried to impose their beliefs in this fashion: there are beer and liquor bars in Salt Lake City, and every restaurant serves coffee, coke and other caffeine drinks.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

yellow_crane

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 09:51:03 PM »
My guess is that the Mormon Church would have a greater influence over Romney than the Pope ever had over Kennedy.

The Catholic Church is a much more diverse organization than the LDS Church.
Kennedy was third generation Irish-American  and Pope Pius was an Italian who spoke little English. Kenneduy was hardly anything close to being a good Catholic.

Both Romney and the LDS elders and Prophet are English-speaking Americans.

The LDS Church would be unlikely to seek anything as inconveniencing to most non-Mormon Americans as the Catholic Church might wish to impose on the country if it had the power.

The RC Church has favored an end to abortions, capital punishment, and Church takeover of public schools and cemeteries in some Catholic nations, as well as a banning of BC pills and contraceptives.

The Mormons have never tried to impose their beliefs in this fashion: there are beer and liquor bars in Salt Lake City, and every restaurant serves coffee, coke and other caffeine drinks.

One could suppose that their laizzaire faire attitude is merely a product of their super tolerance.

Others might conclude, no, that would include hypocracy, that it has an odd air of indifference, kinda like watching your neighbor's second-grader playing with a razor and 'staying out of it.'

The Jews think that nonJewish people are Golem, or children who are the product of a human and a fundamentally base entity.  This means that the Jews generally think that other people are inferior to them, spiritually proven.

I mention the Jews because the Mormons operate from a similar position of "never again" victimhood.
They have both experienced a driven consolidation.

Unlike most of America's tinselled and tooting religions, the Jews and the Mormon are a  lower profile.

If there is a single word to describe the profile of the Morman in America, it is "stealth."

With stealth, they insinuated themselves into the White House--Darth Halderman and crewe.

With stealth, they insinuated themselves into Howard Hughes Tower, put him in the back room with a duffle bag full of recreational medication to watch Ice Station Zebra over 800 times, while they took over operations.

Their business is more than sound.  One skyscraper built in Manhattan was ruled by some group as the most clean and complete deal ever.  They are easilly the closest thing we have to Japanese discipline, with as much strong presence of communal oversight.

Most Americans have no clue about Mormons.  Not saying they are evil as hell and nobody siees it, what I am saying is that most are factually unaware, and Mormons are alert and silent.

My only fear is that, because we are talking about reiligion here, and religion,, let's face it, is granted a bogus amount of privledge now in American politics, there will be no real discussion of the Mormon Church.

There is always much to say about how much a relgion controls one's life, especailly when one is an elected politician, and more especially when that control is  Mormon control.

Mostly, Mormons never let other Mormons out of sight.

I still have a copy of an employment application from Salt Lake City--the question to which I refer was, specifically quoted:  Are you a Mormon?  This was no private enterprise application.

Let's face it, your average African American might take pause and favor discussion, since in their dogma  Blaciks are written up as the Devils.

I think of them as dedicated Jesuit mafioso and latter day, as fastidiously and blandly dressed as the FBI,  moving like an unseen Pretorian turtle.  Their ninjas, all looking White l953,  are everywhere amd nowhere.

I vote for an open discussion regarding the Mormons, and see it appropriate, correct, and timely.  I can think of no reason why there should be no discussion, nor deference.

Stereotypes, obviously, are permitted.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 10:26:47 PM »

The Jews think that nonJewish people are Golem, or children who are the product of a human and a fundamentally base entity.  This means that the Jews generally think that other people are inferior to them, spiritually proven.

Really? Well that's just... G'HUH? What? Is that a joke? Please tell me you're joking.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »
Interesting and thought provoking post, Crane.

You are correct in one aspect.

I know next to nothing about what membership in the LDS means. Then again, the same could be said for what it means to be a Baptist, Methodist or Unitarian.

I have first hand knowledge of what it means to be raised Catholic. Though those memories fade.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 06:53:35 AM »
If there is a single word to describe the profile of the Morman in America, it is "stealth."

It might be because, until recently, most Americans thought that LDS were expendable. After all, it was still legal to kill members of the LDS church in Illinois until that law was repealed in, IIRC, 1986. And Illinois didn't apologize for the attempted genocide until 2004.

I still have a copy of an employment application from Salt Lake City--the question to which I refer was, specifically quoted:  Are you a Mormon?  This was no private enterprise application.

Since LDS consider the use of the term "Mormon" to be a mild insult, I would have to assume that the application was for a company run by people other than members of the LDS church.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)