Author Topic: Ouch...when an emotion driven agenda backfires  (Read 1531 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ouch...when an emotion driven agenda backfires
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »
Not quite

Is the tax gun specific? Like alcohol has and extra tax

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
Actually, that was my question to you?  Are you advocating an additional punitive tax, on top of what its already taxed?  Why?  It really doesn't affect those who acquire their guns illegally, or the murderer intent on killing with whatever he/she can get their hands on.  A punitive tax only hurts the law abiding, especially the low income law abiding, which brings up the question, why?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »
Must be my enviroment. I didn't really think of punitive, my focus was money source for the government.
Alot of the laws in my town are money making venture under a very weak premise of safety. In fact some of them don't even mention safety. Today is a good example parking meter are active to get money from church folks. No way they can says it's a safety reason.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »
But it is punitive.....if an item is already taxed, and you're advocating an additional tax, that's punitive, as in a deterrent.  And as I referenced, it really hurts the low income law abiding the most
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
Here in Miami, the news often shows that some "predator" gets thwarted by a check with a baseball bat, or a pistol, which suggests that they are not all that weak.

Most thieves are pretty incompetent losers, and most heists are poorly planned. They don't bother to check on the weakness or strength of the victims. I suppose that they attempt to rob banks less because of the obvious presence of a guard, but here in Miami, that does not seem to stop at least some of them.

Mainly, they appear to plan their Targets based on the presence of a cash register or other bunch of readily accessible money.Most are on drugs.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
I see
I just thought if the cost of bakground checks is a problem just cover it with taxes from gun and ammo .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »
I doubt seriously that "cost" is the issue, Kimba, given our current Greece-like economic state, that is affecting everything & everyone.  The effort to try and make owning a gun, analogous to smoking or some other abhorent act is defied by our Constitutional right to own a gun, if we so choose to

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 10:26:04 PM »
I see
I just thought if the cost of bakground checks is a problem just cover it with taxes from gun and ammo .

Any tax should be considered on the total effect. A lot of taxes on firearms would make them less availible to the poor, and a greater prize to the theif.

Also the cost of expanding gun regulations is routienely underestimated , generally by large margins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Firearms_Registry
The net annual operating cost of the program, originally estimated to be $2 million, is reported to be $66.4 million for the 2010-2011 fiscal year.[1]

Originally the program required the registration of all non-restricted firearms but this requirement was dropped on April 6, 2012 by the coming into force of Bill C-19.[2][3] Bill C-19 also mandated the destruction of the non-restricted records of the registry as soon as feasible.