Author Topic: Ford says he will not challenge Alexander for Senate  (Read 1206 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ford says he will not challenge Alexander for Senate
« on: January 26, 2007, 07:40:19 AM »
Thursday, January 25, 2007

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former Rep. Harold Ford Jr., the Tennessee Democrat who lost a close race for Senate last November, told CNN Thursday he has no plans to seek Tennessee's other Senate seat in 2008.

Ford, the new head of the Democratic Leadership Council, said he will not mount a campaign against Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander for the seat but would instead focus on his new positions as head of the DLC and as a professor at Vanderbilt University.

"My plan is right away to try to do a good job with the DLC," Ford told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "I'm proud to say that I'm associated with Vanderbilt University; I'm now a professor of public policy."

"I'm young and God has worked with me this far, and I've just got a good feeling that things will work out in the future," Ford added.

-- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Ford says he will not challenge Alexander for Senate
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:49:05 PM »
Not surprising.

Alexander is a moderate Republican in many regards. He voted against some of Bush's anti-environmental plans ("Clear Skies" and "Healthy Forests" I think).

Plus, Alexander is popular in this state. Once you achieve popularity and are a beloved statesman in Tennessee, you generally have your job for a very long time, no matter to which party you belong. It is difficult to explain, but Alexander certainly has it. Howard Baker and Ned McWherter had it as well. I don't think Frist does and I doubt that Corker ever will. Bredesen very well might.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »
Howard Baker, what a great politician.

Known in Washington, D.C. as the "Great Conciliator," Baker is often regarded as one of the most successful Senators in terms of brokering compromises, enacting legislation, and maintaining civility. A story is sometimes told of a reporter telling a senior Democratic senator that privately, a plurality of his Democratic colleagues would vote for Baker for President of the United States. The senator is reported to have replied, "You're wrong. He'd win a majority."  (Via Wikipedia)

We were lucky to have him present during Watergate.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »
Good riddance to Ford.

He can sink along with the DLC who is being shown the door after having lost many elections for Dems since Clinton.

Ford would have to have ten times more juice than he has now (which is next to zero even in Memphis and Shelby County) to be beat Alexander.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:10:49 PM »
I don't disagree Brass.

Hell, from his campaign I'd almost wonder if Alexander wouldn't be to the left of Ford! Personally, I think the Republicans made a huge mistake not choosing Alexander to be their Senate leader (and I say that as someone who's never voted for Alexander for anything). It was a chance to show a much better direction than the knee-jerk reaction of choosing the good ol' boy Trent Lott.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.