Author Topic: Ernie Pile  (Read 1562 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ernie Pile
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:40:24 PM »
"..........he is dead. And this is not just another fallen GI; it is Ernie Pyle, the most celebrated war correspondent of World War II.

As far as can be determined, the photograph has never been published. Sixty-three years after Pyle was killed by the Japanese, it has surfaced ? surprising historians, reminding a forgetful world of a humble correspondent who artfully and ardently told the story of a war from the foxholes."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22980127/

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Ernie Pile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »
Wow.  Thanks, plane.  Ernie Pyle was a favourite author of my uncle, a 2nd Lt. in the U.S. infantry during WWII, in whose home I read both Brave Men and Here is Your War!  He was not only a great writer, but seemed to be a very wise, humble, compassionate and brave human being. 

I don't really think Ernie Pyle would have appreciated this part of the obit:

<<And this is not just another fallen GI; it is Ernie Pyle, the most celebrated war correspondent of World War II.>>

I think Ernie would have felt extremely honoured had the obit in fact described him as "just another fallen GI," which in his eyes was already the highest accolade.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:32:34 PM »
Wow.  Thanks, plane.  Ernie Pyle was a favourite author of my uncle, a 2nd Lt. in the U.S. infantry during WWII, in whose home I read both Brave Men and Here is Your War!  He was not only a great writer, but seemed to be a very wise, humble, compassionate and brave human being. 

I don't really think Ernie Pyle would have appreciated this part of the obit:

<<And this is not just another fallen GI; it is Ernie Pyle, the most celebrated war correspondent of World War II.>>

I think Ernie would have felt extremely honoured had the obit in fact described him as "just another fallen GI," which in his eyes was already the highest accolade.

I went looking for something pertanent to the topic , this is an article mostly about Chickenshit and the military life in WWII Europe.

http://www.cnn.com/books/beginnings/9808/citizen.soldier/index.html
In general, the American press corps covering ETO -- whether for the wire services, individual newspapers or magazines, radio, or the GIs' paper, Stars and Stripes -- did an outstanding job. The names of the top reporters, like the names Eisenhower, Bradley, Patton, Collins, resonate through the ages. The list included Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite, Ernie Pyle and Andy Rooney, Eric Sevareid and A. J. Liebling, Martha Gellhorn and Anne O'Hare McCormick, John P. Marquand and Robert Sherrod, James Agee and William Shirer, among others. Best known of all was Ernest Hemingway, correspondent for Collier's magazine. If being a jerk is first of all being self-centered, Papa was one.

...............Ernie Pyle didn't see the war that way, which is why he is read a half century later, and Hemingway isn't. In a 1995 two-volume anthology of the best of World War II reporting, done by the Library of America, there are twenty-six dispatches from Pyle, one from Hemingway. Everyone knew that Hemingway was brave, foolish, and sentimental. What they wanted to know was what the GIs and the high command were doing. That was what Pyle and nearly all of the others gave them.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 11:24:42 PM »
Excellent article, plane.  Couldn't tear myself away from it.  Read every line, even the ones about white Southerners writing Yank to protest segregation in the Army.  Shows to go ya.  Thanks.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:28:20 PM »
Excellent article, plane.  Couldn't tear myself away from it.  Read every line, even the ones about white Southerners writing Yank to protest segregation in the Army.  Shows to go ya.  Thanks.

You were surprised that White southerners before 1945 could write?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:31:53 PM »
Ah, even here we heard about William Faulkner.  And Tennessee Williams.  And Truman Capote.  Geeze, gimme a break.  We were amazed that white Southerners in the Army could write before 1945.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 11:34:19 PM »
Ah, even here we heard about William Faulkner.  And Tennessee Williams.  And Truman Capote.  Geeze, gimme a break.  We were amazed that white Southerners in the Army could write before 1945.

Hahahahahahaha

That is no better , but I agree , that was an unusually good article .

Cynthia

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »
"..........he is dead. And this is not just another fallen GI; it is Ernie Pyle, the most celebrated war correspondent of World War II.

As far as can be determined, the photograph has never been published. Sixty-three years after Pyle was killed by the Japanese, it has surfaced ? surprising historians, reminding a forgetful world of a humble correspondent who artfully and ardently told the story of a war from the foxholes."

Oh my god, Plane...Ernie Pyle lived here in Albuquerque. His home was turned into a library after his death. He's a hero 'round these parts.

He was a truly brave soul.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:17:39 AM »

Oh my god, Plane...Ernie Pyle lived here in Albuquerque. His home was turned into a library after his death. He's a hero 'round these parts.

No argument ....

Darn it ...

Gotta get back to the argument.

Cynthia

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 12:27:51 AM »

No argument ....

Darn it ...

Gotta get back to the argument.

You go, Plane....I;m already in hot water with the Rich"......

later,
C*