Author Topic: Affirmative Action Teleprompter  (Read 6662 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Affirmative Action Teleprompter
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2010, 03:43:43 AM »
What the Dills Bill did was enhance existing law and set up an arbitration board ..The PERB.

SB400 is the problem bill signed in 99 i believe by gray but passed with bipartisan support

You can't get true understanding of a problem and possible solutions from a 30 sec soundbite.

3 bullets points and a declaration that that is all you need to know is foolish at best and arrogant, almost elitist at worst.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2010, 04:21:24 AM »
Then obviously, you're not paying attention.  As a Therapist, what's key is getting to the root cause of a problem.  The root cause in CA is the State Union pensions, bleeding this state dry.  Not the only thing, simply the biggest, perpetuated by the Unions pretty much dictating policy with the control they have over the Dem Legislature.  This power was largely born with the Dills Act, with the "enhancements" it provided.  Not completely but largely.  Nor is Brown responsible for the mutations that have occured since then to both the Unions and their state pensions.  Merely the father to that which has become a grotesque cancer

The bullet points were merely a highlight to the root problems now facing this state.  Not the only ones, merely the ones that will take this state down.  The solutions have come and gone.  There are none any longer, until things are so bad, the electorate finally does change party leadership.  For those who believed the bulet points were it, and no other problems exist, is foolish at best, and ignorant at worst 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2010, 11:45:14 AM »
Here's the most important points to Brown
- He facilitated the state employees to Unionize

Not really . He signed a bill passed by the legislature.

- The State unions, and their pensions plans can be seen as the biggest drain on the state's budget, and getting worse

That is quite possible. Sounds like the legislature needs to do some budget tightening.

- The State's unions threw everything behind Brown

No surprise

Forget what he did in Oakland, which from what I hear was pretty bad.  Those bullet points above is everyine one needs to know, when watching this state sink more impressively than even the Titanic

Apparently not the only thing you need to know. To think so would be ignorant.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 12:39:29 PM »
The unions do not control the votes of their members. They use secret ballots in CA just as everywhere else. You cannot blame a person for voting in their own interests.

Why should any union member vote for a zillionaire tycoon like Whitman?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2010, 12:51:50 PM »
Why should any union member vote for a zillionaire tycoon like Whitman?

If she has a better track record of creating jobs and expanding business that would probably be a good reason. And in the process increasing tax revenues.

What the real problem is, is that public employee unions are now larger than private sector unions and public employment rolls are harder to shrink than private sector employment rolls based on supply and demand.

So it is understandable that unions like SEIU would back politicians that would be in favor of increasing government size, but it is surprising that they would criticize corporations and other special interest groups for backing candidate that are more likely to deliver legislature more favorable to their particular needs.

Face it that is the name of the current game. Buy favors with campaign donations.

What really has to happen is the game needs to change.

But i don't see that happening anytime soon.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »
The unions do not control the votes of their members. They use secret ballots in CA just as everywhere else. You cannot blame a person for voting in their own interests.

The union controls the MONEY of its union members, thru their dues, which adds up to millions.  It's those millions that help pay off Dem legislators to support legislation acutely favorable to them, regardless of how disastrous it is to the state, as a whole.

Wasn't it you complaining aout Meg trying to buy her governorship?  The unions have largely bought themselves a state Government.  And we are seeing the repercussions of it
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
Again, the union cannot control the votes of the membership.
I imagine that most of the membership were in favor of the union donating to Brown as well.

Too bad that Whitman was unable to buy the governorship contrary to your wishes. It really cracks me up.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
Again, the union cannot control the votes of the membership.

To an absolute extent, no.  But they can browbeat them, and as you've already indicated, the unions have managed to get Dems to pass the cushiest of pension deals thru the legislature, that not too many members are going to want to see dismantled.  Regardless of how destructive it is to the state

Ergo, the unions have largely bought themselves a state government, analogus to how you're so giddy that Whitman couldn't

Too bad that Whitman was unable to buy the governorship contrary to your wishes. It really cracks me up.

Yea, how'd that Florida Governorship & Senate race pan out for yas?  I'm really shedding a tear here for you Xo.  I mean, I'm down to my last kleenix, in fact

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
To an absolute extent, no.  But they can browbeat them, and as you've already indicated, the unions have managed to get Dems to pass the cushiest of pension deals thru the legislature, that not too many members are going to want to see dismantled.  Regardless of how destructive it is to the state

Not exactly true.

You might want to check the voting record for the bills in question. Seems to me they all passed with huge majorities which would indicate bipartisan support.

Please let the class know the results of your research, if different from my cursory glance

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2010, 02:10:26 PM »
Considering that the pension bills in question was passed with a 100% of the 2/3 majority of Dems, we'd need to see at least 1/2 of the GOP supporting such pension pushing.  By all means, I'm willing to be shown how they passed, and by whom

The floor is open to your claim that they all passed with huge majorities

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
SB839 passed 70 to 7 in the Assembly and 24 to 3 in the Senate.

http://www.calwatchdog.com/2010/10/19/brown-ignored-union-bills-warnings/

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2010, 03:02:12 PM »
Wow...even worse than I thought
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:25:33 PM by sirs »