Author Topic: Just not there  (Read 22742 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Just not there
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2010, 07:28:32 PM »
Not really.  1 IS a legal issue.  1 is not.  HUGE difference, IMHO. If I were a Supreme Court Justice, and this were a case brought before me, I'd be making the same conclusions you're making Bt.  However since the Mosque is neither a contitutional nor legal issue, those conclusions need not be made

In Obama's words, "let's be clear".  This Imam has an absolute constitutional right and is completely withing all legal parameters to build a Mosque where he wants to, on private property.  Does that make it the right thing to do, where he currently wants to put it?  The appropriate thing to do?  Hell no.  It's gonna have precisely the opposite effect as to what he claims the Mosque will bring.   

But legally, he sure can
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »
I think that there are shamefull things that are constitutionally allowed or even protected.

This seems to be one , a case in which a person has a leagal right to do a shamefull thing.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2010, 08:03:24 PM »
Good assessmemt.  If anything, it compares much more to the Terry Schivo debate, than anything Immigration
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »
Not really.  1 IS a legal issue.  1 is not.

I'm sure the immigration issue could be argued from an emotional standpoint, actually from both sides.

We have heard arguments that it is horrible to deprive people of the hope of a better life due to stringent paperwork requirements that legal immigration entails.

And we have heard arguments about how unfair it is to look the other way as illegals take jobs that less skilled americans by gawd should have.

But we know that being a Mexican Immigrant by itself is not a problem, just as long as they got here legally. And they try to learn the language and assimilate ya know. It's like you have good Mexicans , and bad ones.

Kinda like Muslims. You have the good ones and the bad ones. But they best know their place.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »
Anything can be argued from an emotional standpoint.  However no one is arguing a legal reason why a Mosque can't be built, in downtown Manhattan.  The people arguing Immigration reform are frequently arguing how wrong the law is, making it a legal arguement, and it is a legal debate.  They want the law changed, or they want to ignore the law.  Bottom line, is that it's a legal debate

The Mosque debate is not.  No one is arguing that laws need to be changed, modified, etc.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2010, 08:12:58 PM »
The Mosque debate is not

I agree the Mosque debate is being waged strictly from an emotional basis. Most likely based on the religion of the applicants.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2010, 08:18:48 PM »
not quite.....its based most likely on the severe insensitivity of placing a symbol at the grave site shadow of where thousands murdered, in the name of that symbol.  Move the Mosque a mere few blocks, out of eye shot, and all is well.  Their religion can be practiced infinitely, since its the location, NOT the religion that's at issue....."Just not there"

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »
The mosque is the symbol of the religion, which was the religion of the attackers. And Muslims should know that the actions of a few taints them all.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2010, 08:49:05 PM »
I would hope not.......then again, it's always the few twits that muck it up for all the rest, in all walks of life

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »
I would hope not.......then again, it's always the few twits that muck it up for all the rest, in all walks of life

That seems to be the root of the controversy with this particular Mosque and this particular location. The whole Victory Mosque thing is kinda a tip off.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »
"Victory Mosque"?  Haven't heard the term nor in what context you'd be referring it to

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »
"Victory Mosque"?  Haven't heard the term nor in what context you'd be referring it to

Must have been a different thread.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »
Must have.  Can you enlighten me?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2010, 01:00:41 AM »
Well the 1st link, I have no idea what "Victory Mosque" has to do with it.  In the 2nd link, I can see it was a heated derrogatory reference, that can largely be dismissed due to its apparent origin in an angry response.  The 3rd link was helpful.  It provided a kind of definition of the term.  So, who's credibly referring to this as a "Victory Mosque"?