Author Topic: I disagree with the whole premise.  (Read 5545 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I disagree with the whole premise.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 08:54:12 AM »
The only point you have ever proven is at the top of your pointy head, sirs.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 10:38:04 AM »
Why didn't we keep King George then?

King George was not interested in shaping the people,. He was interested in taxing them to finance world domination.

And world domination has a lot to do with changing the society in the dominion.

King George was self aggrandizing , as almost any king would be , that is typical of the specie.

King George also had duty as leader of his church to promote Christ within his dominion, and after the revival that swept England ,he co-operated with the Parliament ,set his Navy and Army to  eradication of Slavery in the empire and suppressing the slave trade at sea.

The Parliament was a lot more democratic than the monarch , this part of history is interesting for having both a powerful monarch and a democratic institution with a lot of power in remarkable co-existence.

But not far away in France was this Voltaire fellow living with a ridiculously intrusive and powerful monarch writing that people need to think for themselves. This took a while to influence the situation.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
No one considers Coolidge to have been a great leader. Coolidge at most just occupied the White House and let Congress take over.

Lincoln was perhaps a great war leader, but at no point between 1860 and 1865 could he have ever been the preferred president of all the people of this country (including all the south and the north).

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 02:43:53 PM »
The only point you have ever proven is at the top of your pointy head, sirs.

Oooooo.......Brilliant, albeit typical leftist rebuttal.   Point remains unrefuted of course, that of course you can seperate leadership from partisan ideology.   In particular, in a President....should they choose such a path
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 05:29:42 PM »
No one considers Coolidge to have been a great leader.

This is untrue.

You may prefer leaders that show up a lot telling you what to do, but some people prefer their leadership light and Calvin Coolidge has indeed a lot of admirers.

When the White House staff was but a fraction of the size it is today, a popular story of Coolidge concerned the question of how many people he had working for him at the White House. "About half of them," came the reply.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/history/item/14546-calvin-coolidge-and-the-greatness-of-a-not-great-president
"I am for economy," Coolidge said. "After that I am for more economy." President Clinton came into office promising to "focus like a laser beam" on the economy. (Bush 43, sinking his teeth into a task, described himself "a pit bull on the pant leg of opportunity.") While the 42nd president did preside over a thriving economy, Coolidge's laser beams were far more powerful and effective. Coolidge was the vice president who inherited the chief executive job when the scandal-plagued Warren Harding died in August 1923. Elected in his own right in 1924, he presided over a nation still enjoying record prosperity when he retired from the White House on March 4, 1933. In a new biography, titled simply Coolidge, Amity Shlaes has highlighted some of the remarkable achievements the nation ...........

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 05:52:35 PM »
Well said......and again demonstration of leadership minus partisan ideology
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 10:33:05 PM »

You may prefer leaders that show up a lot telling you what to do, but some people prefer their leadership light and Calvin Coolidge has indeed a lot of admirers.

================================================================
Most admired him only because Reagan decided to make a hero of him.Most likely not Reagan, but one of Reagan's handlers.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 11:12:13 PM »
Well considering there's not 1 shred of proof to back your latest claim, I guess we all know where we can toss that one

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 11:48:03 PM »

================================================================
Most admired him only because Reagan decided to make a hero of him.Most likely not Reagan, but one of Reagan's handlers.

I thought he was popular in his own day.

What did Reagan actually do , I mean what are you referring to?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 12:01:40 AM »
I think the goal was simply another invalid swipe at President Reagan, at President Coolidge's expense