Author Topic: on the subject of supporting our troops  (Read 919 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
on the subject of supporting our troops
« on: April 04, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »
I talked about it with my brother (ex-marine) and he says our boys and girl don`t truely need any such support while serving ,our military will take of them good enough.
but when they come back statesides supports is what`s really needed for them.
somehow no matter how much evidence stating otherwise.
some folks still think post war trauma as a myth.
thinking only cowards are the only people who get shellshocked.
I know several veterans who don`t see the big deal about it.
note in the news how little is mention about helping our boy and girls stateside.
it`s mention often how violent it is over there,but somehow not much is said about the possible long term effect it may have on them.

Rich

Re: on the subject of supporting our troops
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
>>but when they come back statesides supports is what`s really needed for them.<<

Agreed.

What they get from the left isn't support. The left calls them terrorists, losers, and cold blooded murderers. They compare them to the Kamir Rouge, and the German SS. They make false claims about troops murdering civilians. They openly provide information that helps the enemy.

So I hope you'll take his advice and support our troops and not say such things.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 05:05:53 PM »
Kimba,

The military is doing better at this than they have in the past. A lot of the decision to send an enlisted soldier to counseling is left to the unit commander. If he sees some troubling signs in one of his soldiers, he can request that he or she be seen by a qualified counselor. This has become especially important as the suicide rates have increased in recent years.

Part of the goal of an insurgent or guerilla war is to make the war psychologically grueling on the enemy. Iraq is a really boring duty, mixed in with extreme danger. Soldiers are put in extremely difficult situations. Between us and the Iraqi police, if a grown man digs in the sand with a strange device in his hand we're going to detain him or take him out. So the insurgents have gone to paying children to dig holes and drop the IED's in them, then cover them up. Who's going to question a child digging in the sand? Even if you did, does the kid know what he's doing? He's getting a bit of money to dig a hole and drop metal in it.

We're going to have a lot of soldiers who need counseling and therapy. Who wants to come home and tell their wife that they had to kill someone in Iraq? Not many. Guerilla wars are the toughest and having so many Guard and Reservists will make it tougher still.

Good post kimba.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 06:00:14 PM »
So I hope you'll take his advice and support our troops and not say such things.

what the hell are you taking about
since when have I ever said anything contrary?

Rich

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »
>>what the hell are you taking about
since when have I ever said anything contrary?<<

Did I say you did?

What the hell are YOU talking about?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 06:52:52 PM »
when you said "So I hope you'll take his advice and not say such thing"

It sounds like I`m not all that supportive.
if you meant nothing by it -I apoligize.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 09:25:10 PM »
The fact is that our troops, dressed in extremely weird-looking gear, routinely kick down doors of Iraqis at all hours of the day and night, force them to lie face down on the floor or the dirt and yell at them in a language they don't understand.

Imagine your door being busted down art three in the morning, then some weirdly dressed Iraqi forces you down on ther floor, your face in the dirt, and screams at you in Arabic to reveal which demonination of Chrstian or Jew you are. No Iraqi asked for this. This is, however, why the current puppet government of Maliki does not enjoy the support of most Iraqis.

The soldiers do as they are told. They are told to do what they do because this is an imperialist war in which Juniorbush and Cheney have decided that it is worthwhile to drive a tenth of all Iraqis out of Iraq, and to cause another 20% to be thrown out of their homes where they may have lived for generations. Saddam was a rotten guy, but he did not kill nor maim, nor drive into exile or the street as many Iraqis in 20 years as Juniorbush has done in five. Iraqis may be shot for making a false move, or having something they said mistranslated. They can be thrown into jails so foul you could not imagine them for as log as the Americans or Iraqi government wishes.

It is an imperialist war. Our troops do what they are told to do, which is to bust down doors and cuff Iraqis that are quite often innocent of anything.

If you join the military, you have to be prepared for doing unjust acts up to and including murder.

It is only fair that the military provide counseling to people who are affected by their actions.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."