Author Topic: cute libertarian propaganda  (Read 2137 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: cute libertarian propaganda
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
Very funny. I can't see Ayn Rand approving  it, though.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 11:14:40 PM »
   Slavish adherence to orthodoxy is not the point of libertarianism, even Ann Rand written dogma need not be unquestioned.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 09:01:52 AM »
Ayn Rand had disputes with every single political movement in this country. She simply did not understand the US. The United States in her mind was the complete antithesis of the USSR under Lenin. All of her close associates were Russian Jewish immigrants or the children of Russian Jewish immigrants. Russians, especially urban Jewish Russians do not thing like Americans, and Rand was no exception. She was a HUGE fan of capitalism, but the idea of investing in stock never seems to have occurred to her.

Poor Johnson did not know what Aleppo was. I suppose that he might have been happy with the explanation that if you had Aleppo and someone gave you a second leppo, you would have TWO leppos. It was a clever question to ask. Morning Joe or his staff were quite clever to ask it as they did.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 05:26:53 AM »
   Ann Rand understood some things quite well , understanding all things perfectly is too much to expect .  She made a good career as an author and got her ideas before the public , this is within the definition of success.

I knew about Aleppo because I am listening to the news a lot recently and I know that it is a desperate situation in an ancient town.

I also remember shopping the internet for some beautiful Christmas baubles that they make there some years ago.

So I have sailed the seas as a Navy sailor , I surf the net and I swim in the news I am not as busy as the typical state governor. But even so I must admit that there are some towns in Syria that I have not heard of yet , even some  that have had atrocity or major battles .

The trouble with "gotcha" questions is that they work on everyone. There is just too much advantage on the questioners side.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 12:32:41 PM »
Ayn Rand was successful as a writer, and perhaps a lecturer. She was far from successful as a politician. Her success as a capitalist was minimal. I think that eventually Alan Greenspan convinced her to take her money out of a passbook savings account and put it in a money market fund when the latter were paying pretty well in the 1970's.

Aleppo is the largest city in Syria. Apparently, Johnson thought it was some acronym ALEPO, since so many American groups have acronyms that begin with A for America, American or America's.
American League of Evangelical Politicians~A.L.E.P.O.  That is why I said that Morning Joe was clever to have phrased it the way he did.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:38:51 PM »
........................That is why I said that Morning Joe was clever to have phrased it the way he did.

Is this really good practice for journalists?

We are not told how many obscure questions Johnson got right.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 01:31:39 AM »
It was what is considered a coup for a journalist: to catch a candidate who seemed ignorant about what he should have known. Like catching Gerald Ford saying that Poland was not seriously in thrall to the USSR, and thereby making him look like a dummy.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 12:17:25 AM »
It was what is considered a coup for a journalist: to catch a candidate who seemed ignorant about what he should have known. Like catching Gerald Ford saying that Poland was not seriously in thrall to the USSR, and thereby making him look like a dummy.

That happened with the public watching and Carter right there to correct him , no journalist is to be credited.

I disagree about the coup thing.

When Frost prodded Nixon into saying that the president determines for himself what is right and wrong, he was finding out something he and the rest of us didn't know about Nixon.

This is more like the time that Candidate Bush was asked about Musharraf the Pakistani general  and he did not know him . When Bush became President he was in a constant conversation with Musharraf and his previous ignorance mattered little.

That a presidential candidate does not know the name of every General and battle site for the last ten years does not strike me as surprising, new, important information. Not seeking the truth about the candidate, but pushing a viewpoint about the candidate.

Hillary seems to be living in fear of being quizzed , if she is spacing press corps interviews more than three hundred days apart while running for president ... But why would anyone be upset with her for not being ready for a game of trivial pursuit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUZijEuNDQ

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »
By all means, vote for Johnson. he is brighter than Trump.
There are many ways for a journalist to show his/her expertise.
Nixon was hardly an enigmatic person.
He hated the people, as well as himself upon occasion, and it showed.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 07:55:33 PM »
By all means, vote for Johnson. he is brighter than Trump.

He is also brighter and cleaner than HRC.