Author Topic: Enough said.  (Read 10960 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Enough said.
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2007, 10:37:53 AM »

Prince, am I right that you don't believe the Civil War was justified?

Lanya, I've got mixed responses to that. Most folks think the Civil War was about ending slavery. If you're asking if I don't believe ending slavery is justified, the answer is that I do believe ending slavery was justified and necessary. I do not, however, believe the Civil War preserved the Union. I believe it changed the nature of the Union in a fundamental way, and I don't mean just by resulting in the end of legal slavery.

At one time, the United States was merely these United States. The United States was a voluntary union of states and not a kingdom or an empire made by force (in theory anyway). States had the authority to remove themselves from the Union and this, in part, helped the states serve as a kind of check on the power of the federal government. You know, kinda like how a certain thirteen colonies once removed themselves from the Kingdom of Great Britain, only the states were not supposed to have to fight a war to do it. The Civil War basically changed all that. The union of the United States is no longer a voluntary union, and the power of the states to be a check on the power of the federal government is, at the very least, greatly reduced.

Some folks think that is as it should be. I'm not so sure.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2007, 10:48:33 AM »
At one time, the United States was merely these United States.

More to the point, they were "these united states of America." No capitalization on the first part, as the strength of each individual state was considered much more important than the fact that they were united.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2007, 10:59:34 AM »

More to the point, they were "these united states of America." No capitalization on the first part, as the strength of each individual state was considered much more important than the fact that they were united.

But, you'd agree that there was a lesson learned from the Articles of Confederation?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2007, 11:03:20 AM »
Excellent point, Henny, as usual.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2007, 11:04:56 AM »

Of course. I was mainly adding to Prince's point about the attitudes in the early U.S. ... and also a bit of trivia that many people are unaware of.

But, you'd agree that there was a lesson learned from the Articles of Confederation?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2007, 11:23:44 AM »
Could it be perhaps that we're not actually "attacking & killing Iraqis", that in fact we're actually attacking & killing muslim extremists & terrorists, who are either trying to kill Americans or trying to derail freedom for Iraqis??

Not according to the leader of Iraq, Sirs.

When they want to detain one person, they should not kill 10 others.

Targeted & "attacked" or tragic loss of life in a war zone?  Are the 10 others simple civilians or are they shooting back?  Context is everything, Js
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »
Targeted & "attacked" or tragic loss of life in a war zone?  Are the 10 others simple civilians or are they shooting back?  Context is everything, Js

From Maliki's statement it certainly did not sound as if it were accidental.

"Concerning American raids on Shula (a northern Shiite neighborhood) and Sadr City (the Shiite slum enclave in east Baghdad). There were big mistakes committed in these operations. The terrorist himself should be targeted not his family.

"When they want to detain one person, they should not kill 10 others. These are mistakes which we have to deal with. We will not allow the detaining of innocent people. Only the criminals should be detained," the angry al-Maliki declared.

Link

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »
.... These are mistakes which we have to deal with. We will not allow the detaining of innocent people. Only the criminals should be detained," ....

And he's absolutely right.  "Mistakes" that should not be occuring at this stage of the game.  And hardly the widespread inferrence of American forces wantingly attacking & killing Iraqis, which is what prompted this point of the thread
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2007, 01:20:40 PM »
But not "accidental" as you claimed.

Maliki is saying that they are mistakes in terms of tactics. He does not appreciate the fallout that his government has to handle because of these mistakes.

It is not accidental, as you claimed. I never said it was widespread, or not. I don't have proof either way, but clearly there has been killing that was not necessary.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2007, 01:31:54 PM »
But not "accidental" as you claimed.  Maliki is saying that they are mistakes in terms of tactics. He does not appreciate the fallout that his government has to handle because of these mistakes.

Mistakes sure seem to imply non-intentional.  You don't think so??  And yes, mistakes in bad tactics, NOT in some wanton effort to attack and kill Iraqis, as Tee has claimed (I never claimed you implied widespread.  That was in regards to Tee's proclaimations, that you jumped into).  Is that your position as well?.....American forces are targeting, attacking and killing Iraqis puposely?? 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2007, 05:59:05 PM »
   If there are ten people in a house with one terrorist , are they helping hide him?

Al Maliki needs to get his own forces in gear and do all the detaining with Iriqui police and army forces under his own command , the less he depends on the strength of the US the better for him and us too.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2007, 10:57:40 PM »
"You said you wanted to handle Iran and Syria the way Kosovo was handled"

Yes in that Kosovo was an aerial campaign with almost zero ground troops.
It was "make peace or we'll bomb you".

"As a result of the bombings, as best I understand it, Kosovo was left impoverished and in economic chaos"

Kosovo was in "economic chaos" long before President Clinton launched a single bomb.
Before President Clinton's brilliant military strategy, Kosovo's poverty and unemployment reached catastrophic levels,
with about 80% of Kosovo's population becoming unemployed.

"So, why is there such a problem with saying you want Iran and Syria bombed into poverty?"

Because I usually have a problem with characterizations of my stances that are false.
It is a fact that I do not want Iran and Syria "bombed into poverty".
I do not want to bomb anyone
but I do not believe the Mullahs in Iran will stop their support of terror and attacks using proxies targeting US and Israel unless the cost becomes unbearable for them.
We have the ability to make that cost unbearable without using ground troops.

(i wish i had more time)
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2007, 05:19:44 AM »

Okay. You'll just have to forgive me for misunderstanding your advocating bombing Iran and Syria as wanting to bomb Iran and Syria.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2007, 07:44:48 AM »

Okay. You'll just have to forgive me for misunderstanding your advocating bombing Iran and Syria as wanting to bomb Iran and Syria.

A bombing campaign is war , a credable threat to start a bombing campaign is diplomacy.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »
Mistakes sure seem to imply non-intentional.  You don't think so??  And yes, mistakes in bad tactics, NOT in some wanton effort to attack and kill Iraqis, as Tee has claimed (I never claimed you implied widespread.  That was in regards to Tee's proclaimations, that you jumped into).  Is that your position as well?.....American forces are targeting, attacking and killing Iraqis puposely?? 

That is what al-Maliki is implying in his statement.

You can call the Japanese internment camps of World War II a mistake. That doesn't mean they were not intentional (as they most certainly were). It would still be proper to call them a mistake in policy.

That is what Maliki means by mistakes for which he has to clean up the mess.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster