Author Topic: I may not ever agree with Ms Obama again, but for this I give her Kudos!  (Read 1134 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Michelle Obama navigates limits on women in Saudi Arabia

Associated Press
6 hours ago

President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama participate in a delegation receiving line with the new Saudi Arabian King, Salman bin Abdul Aziz, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015. The president and first lady have come to express their condolences on the death of the late Saudi Arabian King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) For first lady Michelle Obama, just a few hours in Saudi Arabia were enough to illustrate the stark limitations under which Saudi women live.

Joining President Barack Obama for a condolence visit after the death of the King Abdullah, Mrs. Obama stepped off of Air Force One wearing long pants and a long, brightly colored jacket, but no headscarf.

Under the kingdom's strict dress code for women, Saudi females are required to wear a headscarf and loose, black robes in public. Most women in Saudi Arabia cover their hair and face with a veil known as the niqab. But covering one's head is not required for foreigners, and some Western women choose to forego the headscarf while in Saudi Arabia.

As a delegation of dozens of Saudi officials "all men" greeted the Obamas in Riyadh, some shook hands with Mrs. Obama. Others avoided a handshake but acknowledged the first lady with a nod as they passed by.

Saudi Arabia imposes many restrictions on women on the strict interpretation of Islamic Shariah law known as Wahhabism. Genders are strictly segregated. Women are banned from driving, although there have been campaigns in recent years to lift that ban. Guardianship laws also require women to get permission from a male relative to travel, get married, enroll in higher education or undergo certain surgical procedures.

http://news.yahoo.com/michelle-obama-navigates-limits-women-saudi-arabia-192549108.html
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I may not ever agree with Ms Obama again, but for this I give her Kudos!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:10:26 PM »
I knew Senator Cruz and I think alike!

"Kudos to @FLOTUS for standing up for women & refusing to wear Sharia-mandated head-scarf in Saudi Arabia"

US Senator Ted Cruz

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/ted-cruz-praise-michelle-obama-head-covering-114681.html

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:19:44 PM »
You will find that St.Paul was all for women covering their hair. This is a Middle Eastern Sand people custom that is still present among Catholic religious orders.

Some of the Jewish women in Miami have figured out how to please everyone: they cover their heads with wigs.

I agree that Michelle was making a silent statement about this to the Saudis, and I am sure that it pissed at least some imams off. 

But we never require Saudis to put on cowboy hats when they visit Texas, so this is only fair.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
But we never require Saudis to put on cowboy hats when they visit Texas, so this is only fair.

I would back-slap the hell outta the ole King of Saudi
and say "boy throw on a cowboy hat"!

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
American Sniper seeks to make a hero out of someone who is simply a useful weapon  in a specific situation.

Being an accomplished sniper is not heroic in and of itself.  The Nazis has a lot of good snipers, so did the Japanese and the Russians.

This guy was an excellent sniper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Well trained and professional.  Was he brave?  Perhaps?

Was he a hero?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:40:07 AM »
Considering how many American lives he saved...YEA
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 02:30:43 PM »
Hmmmm....Perhaps we made the wrong Obama President?

"I felt that, more often than not, this film touches on many of the emotions
and experiences that I've heard firsthand from military families over these past few years."

Plane.....clearly First Lady Obama "gets it".

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 06:00:36 PM »
So the Nazi snipers were also heroes because of all the fellow Waffen SS troops whose lives were saved.
The Vietcong snipers were also heroes because of all the lives they saved. If they were very good, they could prevent entire villages from being destroyed.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 06:07:22 PM »
So the Nazi snipers were also heroes because of all the fellow Waffen SS troops whose lives were saved.
The Vietcong snipers were also heroes because of all the lives they saved.

Ha Ha....you are so lamely anti-American.
Of course the German Nazis snipers and VC snipers were "heroes" to their own people.
Duh!
Only you being "blame America First" won't be a fan of an American sniper killing
people that are on the side that has called for your own country's destruction and your death.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 06:22:06 PM »
The Vietcong snipers were also heroes because of all the lives they saved. If they were very good, they could prevent entire villages from being destroyed.

Well of course they were......to the SS and Vietcong supporters     ::)    Your point??

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 07:06:02 PM »
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Spoiler, read no more if you haven't seen "Enemy at the gates" a seriously good movie about snipers.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
  This reminds me of "Enemy at the Gates" where several characters on both sides were ,unsympathetic.

The German Sharpshooter didn't seem bad enough until the script had him hanging the child , this had the audience rooting for this guys demise.

The politics at issue are hardly even secondary to the immediate human concerns, the authors needed that German sniper character to commit an atrocity so that the audience would be glad to see him go.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »
In a movie, you can make anyone a hero.  Breaking Bad had most of the audience rooting for Walter White and Jesse Pinkman. They simply scripted in an even more evil and bloodthirsty bunch of career criminals to be their enemies. 

Good movies can make people think about morality issues and all manner of human behavior. They are excellent propaganda tools. Some people think of them as reality, but they are not reality.

Eventually I will watch American Sniper. From what I have heard about it, it does indeed go into issues of morality and psychology. It is not some hamfisted piece of crap like John Wayne in The Green Berets, or the various iterations of Red Dawn or those horrible Chuck Norris things in which Chuck cannot get out of a vehicle without it exploding.

Clint Eastwood put a lot of thought into "Gran Torino", whereas his silly debate with an empty chair at the RNC seemed to indicate that his mind had been replaced by Faux News.