Author Topic: latimes  (Read 749 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
latimes
« on: June 09, 2007, 06:10:30 AM »
whoever becomes president in 2009 is going to have to decide whether some of these policies deserve to be given new life. Democracy promotion is arguably the strongest candidate. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice once admitted that Reagan's paeans to liberty offended her own realist sensibilities. But 9/11, she concluded, made realism obsolete. She was absolutely right when she said in Cairo in 2005: "For 60 years, my country, the United States, pursued stability at the expense of democracy … in the Middle East — and we achieved neither."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-traub8jun08,0,1119900.story?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

In the 2000 presidential campaign, Bush-the-realist asserted that foreign policy must proceed from "interests" rather than "values." In his second inaugural address, Bush-the-Wilsonian-idealist declared that our values have become our interests. Both formulations are too pat; but he was much closer to right the second time around.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: latimes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 12:28:54 PM »
I guess pretty soon now he'll be invading Jordan, Egypt AND Saudi Arabia to bring them all the benefits of "democracy."  I hope he won't be too busy to liberate the West Bank at the same time.  I'm just so happy that the "President" has had this miraculous conversion.  Do you think it was due to another divine revelation?