Author Topic: A Hate Crime  (Read 10914 times)

BSB

Re: A Hate Crime
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »
"So the hate doesn't , or shouldn't ,make a difference?"

This is an interesting response. It's not interesting because of who made it, or why he made it, but it's interesting in terms of where the right is now. To make this clear, what I'm going to say has nothing to do with this poster.

This response is about just going around in circles. It doesn't follow what I said. It doesn't move in any direction. Just around and around. They say that young boys who are growing up without fathers get caught in this kind of pattern. Their thinking goes around in circles. Interestingly the right in this country is without a leader.  They are without a father figure if you will. Just look at who they ran for president. Romney had no principles. He never took a stand. He said one thing one year on a subject and something entirely different the next all depending on which way the wind was blowing. He never took off in a direction and stayed with it. Funny, because his father, whom he tried to emulate in so many ways, was highly principled individual.

Now, look at who else ran from the right.  Newt Gingrich. Gingrich is the person who started all the extreme partisanship that we see in Washington right now. He is the one that got all of them just going around in circles. They can't solve a problem to save their lives. Now, Newt isn't responsible for what is going on now. That's the fault of those in congress at the moment. But, he started it, and many on the right would have voted for him to sit in the oval office. Amazing.   

So, the rest of the country is waiting for the right to get up off its ass, stop going around and around, and help us solve the considerable problems America, and rest of the world, has right now.

BSB

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
Romney's "Dreams of my Father" certainly was an interesting read, so he had that going for him.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »
That is both flattering and evasive.
My father died when I was 37 but untill then he was a terriffic father.
Perhaps I have developed the problems of the fatherless since then.
But enough about me.

If someone is killed and the reason does not meet the tests of justifiability, then it is a murder and the severest penaltys apply.

But should this be enforced diffrently for and against certain races , religions and affiliations?

Hate crime legislation is a backwards step, away from the goal of equal justice under the law.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »
I disagree. Nowhere do any of these laws suggest a longer sentence for something labeled a "hate crime"do they?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2013, 11:27:47 PM »
Educating you is clearly impossible. Why bother?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »
I disagree. Nowhere do any of these laws suggest a longer sentence for something labeled a "hate crime"do they?

Yes . In Wisconsin aggravated assault goes from 4 years to 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_v._Mitchell

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »

I don't know then, so what is the point of them?

BSB

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »
"Romney's "Dreams of my Father" certainly was an interesting read, so he had that going for him. "

I haven't read it nor will I. I don't believe a word he says, writes, emails, whatever.

"That is both flattering and evasive"

It wasn't posted to you and has nothing to do with you.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »

One

last

time:

The point is that in cases where the local yokels will not investigate or prosecute because they themselves are racist, the hate crime law makes it possible for the Feds (or perhaps a higher authority of the same state)  to come in and do so.

How bloody hard is that to understand?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 12:49:55 AM »

"That is both flattering and evasive"

It wasn't posted to you and has nothing to do with you.

BSB

I am sorry , I was confused by being quoted .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 12:54:52 AM »

One

last

time:

The point is that in cases where the local yokels will not investigate or prosecute because they themselves are racist, the hate crime law makes it possible for the Feds (or perhaps a higher authority of the same state)  to come in and do so.

How bloody hard is that to understand?

I don't recognise any legislation I have heard of by your description.

Sounds interesting , but I wish I was sure we were talking about the same thing.

I thought the idea behind "hate crime " laws was to increase the severity of punishment for certain classes of perpertrator and certain classes of victim.

Have you heard of a case in which the law was used as you describe?

BSB

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 12:57:54 AM »
"I am sorry , I was confused by being quoted ."

I made it abundantly clear at the start of the post.

Now, I see no need in us communicating. I don't like you, I never have. I think you're as phony as the day is long. So just post to others and I'll do the same.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 01:16:54 AM »
"I am sorry , I was confused by being quoted ."

I made it abundantly clear at the start of the post.

Now, I see no need in us communicating. I don't like you, I never have. I think you're as phony as the day is long. So just post to others and I'll do the same.

BSB

I like you .

Not for being friendly, which you are not.

For being interesting, which you definately are.

I can address you or not as I please and you may read or not as you please, which is not a change in the situation we already had.

I don't need you ,and you don't need me , the stakes of this relationship are very low.

So you can adress me as you will , I don't mind and permission was never required anyway.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 01:22:35 AM »
Educating you is clearly impossible. Why bother?

Because you discredit yourself, all the more when you, a professor, don't even make an effort to supposedly "educate".  What it does show is your lack of credibility to begin with, on any particular issue/rant, as you try evading with endless demeaning slurs aimed at me, such as your above example.  Bravo
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2013, 01:23:05 AM »
" Interestingly the right in this country is without a leader.  They are without a father figure if you will. '

BSB

I have seen this sort of thing  before.

But it might be worth discussing on its own terms.

The left projects upon the right its own attitudes.

The right is not looking to politics for father figures , competant government would treat the common man as if he were an individual and an adult.